Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #1

5.4 2008 slow fuel problems

Well this was interesting... we suddenly had to wait for the gas to get into the tank... took over 20 min to get 16 gal in. Pooo... went to the dealer and said.. lookie lookie... he said.. ahhh well we need to do a fueling test... and at 5 bux a gallon.. (no you cant go across the street and use the gas station... they put fuel in.. and then take it all back out.. and of course when its removed its contaminated fuel.. so it has to be disposed of... according to the ford dealer)... So we pony'ed up and paid the price... and after 3 days .. they still couldn't get it right... we heard everything from plugged tank filler.. to your going to have to replace the charcho filter in the back...which by the way is not under warrent... etc and very expensive)

After putting up with the local ford dealer we bought it from... I came home and got on the internet... seems.. I AM NOT ALONE... but, after checking.. no TSB etc... for my van... I figured that they couldn't have changed much over the past years.. and found a TSB for the early one... where it says to get under the van and discon the fuel tank vent at the char filter... (dumb design.. if you ask me) Anyway we stopped by and got a piece of the heater hose that would fit the line... and after getting under the van we found ....

That discon the fuel filler vent line that goes to the char can... things were open and you could blow into it ... then we checked the char can... and sure enough... with the key off... (sets the selo for venting)... nope can't blow through it... hmmm.. but their is another hose.. that comes off the char can... and it doesn't have any clamps on it.. its just a slip on... so we took it off.. and sure enough now we could blow through the char can... hmmm.. where does this hose go... well it goes up above the spare tire... so we lowered it.. and found a little box... that is kinda like a filter with holes in it...

Checking it.. we found the problem... some mud dabbers had gotten in.. along with some spiders... and plugged 'er up... so we attached the hose to the heater hose we had and with one big puff.. all the junk cam out of the little box... and now you could blow through it... we hooked the heater hose to the input of the char can.. with the outlet hose attached... and works as advertised... hooked up the fuel tank vent line back to the char can.. took it down and now can refuel as fast as the pump will run...

Strange that ford can't seem to find these problems out ... but, then again... I'm not going back and telling 'em... either... nor is the van going back to the dealer ANY MORE... as it cost me 186 bux to find out on my own what was the problem... and the ford dealer... I am sure laughed all the way to the bank...

At 35,000 miles we now have another problem.. that seems to be "NOT ALONE"... where the engine is using a quart of oil per 1500 miles .. on highway speed roads... always something... but we will let you know what we find as well...

GMAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #2

Re: 5.4 2008 slow fuel problems

Oh ya the Slow fuel TSB is for the 2006,7 E350's you can get it off the internet...
Old 04-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #3

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

That should be covered under the Federal and State mandated SMOG Warranty. Read you Warranty Booklet for coverage under different warranty programs.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:53 AM   #4

Me thinks maybe its time to find a new dealer....
Old 04-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #5

Well I would think it should have been covered by the emissions section of the car.. but nope... the ford rep says its like windshild wipers... not covered after you pass the bumper to bumper section of the war'nty... soo the char filter canster is on you... but , you can't discon it.. as you don't want dirt to get into the fuel vent...

The whole system is much different than days of old... where the gas staions used to vent the fill gas's ... now the car does it... thus why we have a char filter canster to get the fill gas vapors...

I also checked with several other dealers.. and found they are all the same... its your char can.. and if it goes bad after the bumper to bumper... its not part of the power train etc...

We tried.. believe me... and no joy... so we did it ourselves... grin
Old 04-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #6

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAs
the ford rep says. grin
That is your problem tight there. Get the warranty manual and read it for yourself.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote