Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2016, 07:33 PM   #1

5.4 Shudder/slip?

Hey guys, I have a 97 F350 5.4L, 85K have only owned it about a month. Just replaced the air blend door and the heater core. Now to the new problem.
When I get around 45-55 MPH I get a shudder or slip, not real sure how to explain it. It feels like it may lose power but when I stomp on the gas it goes. I think it may be more of a drivetrain issue. It happens mainly going uphill, but I have had it happen a few times on flat. Checked the tranny fluid this morning it was a little low. Thought that may be the problem.
Seems like happens when it warms up.
Maybe someone has an idea what I'm talking about.

PNWVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Might be a u joint wearing out. Do you also get a vibration when you suddenly let off the gas?

Herb
Old 10-16-2016, 08:01 PM   #3

No really that kinda of shudder. More of a looks for the right gear or the tranny is slipping. I'm thinking it may be drivetrain more than motor. A friend told me to change the speed sensor, I have also read a lot about a coil issue or torque converter.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:00 PM   #4

Sounds funny but new coils and plugs. Had the same thing with mine, thought the transmission was on its way out. After some time doing it off and on it finally fired a code. Coils we're going bad and it was losing power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skyl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #5

Thanks SKYL330, I will take a look at that. I have seen a few other people on line mention the same thing
Old 10-17-2016, 05:13 PM   #6

I'd bet on coils too. I had some weird issues when I bought an 05 V10 recently and pulled all the coil packs and tested them, changed plugs and put new coil BOOTS (not the coils themselves) on with lots of dielectric grease. No coils tested bad, it was the boots, and they're only about $2 apiece. Good luck!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:26 PM   #7

Took it to autozone didn't find any code. Seems like it would throw a code if it was misfiring, right?
Old 10-17-2016, 09:13 PM   #8

I had a similar problem

I had a similar problem. Codes indicating one or more cylinders misfiring. Mechanic did tests etc and determined there was a vacuum leak. The shudder and drop in speed hApoened intermittently. Mechanic fixed vacuum leak and so far no more issues. The repair was done about 5 thousand miles ago.
wl1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWVAN View Post
Took it to autozone didn't find any code. Seems like it would throw a code if it was misfiring, right?
It has to be a really bad misfire to throw a code. I have another Ford that misfires constantly and never throws codes.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
It has to be a really bad misfire to throw a code. I have another Ford that misfires constantly and never throws codes.

^Yup. If you scan it while driving, it would probably show a "pending" code while the mis-fire is happening. A good shop scanner could do a cylinder contribution test to identify it too. Another although much more time consuming method, not computer needed, is to pull the injector plug at each cylinder, one at a time, until you find the one that doesn't make it worse.