Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2018, 09:48 AM   #11

My van has the V-10 and 285 tires and when I had it re-geared I went straight to 4.56s. That was 9 years ago and I don't regret the gearing at all. Hasn't seemed to hurt the mileage (got 12 mpg with the 3.73s and still gets 12 mpg with the 4.56s) but the difference in driveability is amazing. Remember, these engines love to rev. Not much power at lower rpms...mine with the 3.73s would downshift at the hint of a grade or even a strong headwind.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:25 AM   #12

Thanks for the info. I’ll call Larry tomrw to see what his plans for gear are for my van. I’ll bring up what you mentioned. He’s been doing it for over 20 years so I’m sure he’s got it figured out. I am curious to know though. I def drop it down to 45mph in the slow lane when climbing the grades mainly fear of pushing her too hard and overheating and blowing something up. Maybe I should push her harder and she might like it?
Cruzliife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzliife View Post
Thanks for the info. I’ll call Larry tomrw to see what his plans for gear are for my van. I’ll bring up what you mentioned. He’s been doing it for over 20 years so I’m sure he’s got it figured out. I am curious to know though. I def drop it down to 45mph in the slow lane when climbing the grades mainly fear of pushing her too hard and overheating and blowing something up. Maybe I should push her harder and she might like it?
Unless something is wrong with it and I doubt there is you will not hurt your 5.4 by pushing it hard. Triton motors are built to rev to make power much different than diesels or older V8's. Even the V10 Triton doesn't redline til 5200 I think? CarringB will know, he does it all the time and is up to 400k or more on his I think. I've tried it and over about 4600 rpm I'm plenty satisfied and ready to grab another gear or I'm already past the need. Your 5.4 is plenty of motor. Just run it harder. If you want more excitement out of it spend $500 on a 5-star tune and it will be hopped up considerably.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:01 AM   #14

So I guess now the question is to re-gear to 4:10 or 4:56. I’m putting 285/75R16 and it’s a SMB EB w PH and full build out w 2 extra batteries and 20gal fresh water tank. What’s the call? Tons of knowledge here thanks for all the advice.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:30 AM   #15

I've got 410's with 32in tires, 4wd and weigh in at just under 9K lbs with a full build out. The 410's eliminated the speedo error, so that tells me the overall ratio is just about like it was stock (373) The power is adequate, but if I was towing I would go deeper with the gears. Otherwise the 410's seem to be a good compromise between power and mileage.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Unless something is wrong with it and I doubt there is you will not hurt your 5.4 by pushing it hard. Triton motors are built to rev to make power much different than diesels or older V8's. Even the V10 Triton doesn't redline til 5200 I think? CarringB will know, he does it all the time and is up to 400k or more on his I think. I've tried it and over about 4600 rpm I'm plenty satisfied and ready to grab another gear or I'm already past the need. Your 5.4 is plenty of motor. Just run it harder. If you want more excitement out of it spend $500 on a 5-star tune and it will be hopped up considerably.
Yup. This exactly. I'm almost to 455,000 miles. My combined weight is 22,000 pounds. My method of pulling in the mountains is drop it it into 2nd, mash the pedal to the floor, don't let up until I'm 5 over the speed limit. I regularly run at 5,0000 RPM (no reason to do this stock.... you need better breathing and a tuner to make more power above the factory shift points).
Old 07-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #17

What exactly is he best after maker tuner to get? And is it a different air intake that helps the engine breath better. The engine overheated on me only one time sitting at the border in Mexicali. Idling in 110 degree weather w the AC on really pissed her off. Would this help for this? Any recommendations on good mechanic in the LA area?? Seems like a lot of mechanics don’t like to work in these vans. I’m still looking for someone trustworthy to do spark plugs. Thanks again!
Old 07-04-2018, 01:04 PM   #18

Garage
I am literally installing a rebuilt engine right now, on the 4th. Completely gone through 5.4. Picked up a low mileage block 80-90K.

These motors are solid as long as you do preventative maintenance on them. Change your plugs, belts, hoses, oil, coolant, etc. on a annual basis as needed and you should get maximum life out of the motor. It is not unheard of for these motors to exceed 300K miles at all.
Attached Thumbnails
MVIMG_20180704_115456.jpg  
BigRed4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #19

BigRed you’re a better man than I am good luck and happy 4th!
Old 07-04-2018, 03:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzliife View Post
What exactly is he best after maker tuner to get? And is it a different air intake that helps the engine breath better. The engine overheated on me only one time sitting at the border in Mexicali. Idling in 110 degree weather w the AC on really pissed her off. Would this help for this? Any recommendations on good mechanic in the LA area?? Seems like a lot of mechanics don’t like to work in these vans. I’m still looking for someone trustworthy to do spark plugs. Thanks again!
5-star tuner is the best for the vans.

Your overheating experience is not normal, and a tuner will not help.

If the maintenance of the cooling system is unknown, you should start with a good flush and refill with fresh coolant, preferable the coolant spec'd for your van (yellow/G-05 probably). The Universal coolants won't protect as well long-term. Do you ever hear the cooling fan come out? It's loud. If you've never heard the roar of your cooling fan, you fan clutch may be stuck.