Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2018, 03:38 PM   #21

Garage
To add to checking the cooling system and flush, check your reservoir bottle. If it is dark (mine was full of brown gunk I could get out with a pressure washer, it is best to perform the flush as stated above and order a new reservoir bottle from O'Reilly (comes with hoses and cap, about $75).

Happy 4th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
5-star tuner is the best for the vans.

Your overheating experience is not normal, and a tuner will not help.

If the maintenance of the cooling system is unknown, you should start with a good flush and refill with fresh coolant, preferable the coolant spec'd for your van (yellow/G-05 probably). The Universal coolants won't protect as well long-term. Do you ever hear the cooling fan come out? It's loud. If you've never heard the roar of your cooling fan, you fan clutch may be stuck.

BigRed4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #22

Also, just replace the fan clutch. They are cheap. There are HD ones available which operate more aggressively, meaning lock up sooner, and they work. This solved my cooling problem on my heavy old 460 simply.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:32 AM   #23

In my 2010 5.4, I re-geared it to 4.30. With the 33” tires it still has really good low end power without killing the gas mileage on the interstate. I average around 13.2mpg with a heavy foot.
5.4’s will last forever just like the 6.8. I do highly recommend installing a bigger trans cooler to keep the temps below 175.
2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:17 PM   #24

I love to see the lowly 5.4 getting some kudos! It often gets limited billing with all the V10 and diesel talk.

Mine has 220k miles and still runs like a champ!
1984 Dodge B250 Get-Away-Van camper conversion (sold)
neatvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #25

We have been traveling and living full time pulling our 29' 1976 Airstream. Before I bought our SMB I talked to several airport shuttle drivers in different states. They all said that their fleets were made up of Ford vans with the 5.4 engine. Without hesitation they said that they expected to get at least 300,000 miles out of the vans.

I bought our 2003 E350 SMB w/5.4 engine from a guy who had put less than 8000 miles on it. It was a 2WD that we drove to Fresno to have the 4X4 platform put under it. In 2007 we refurbished a 1976 Airstream and have been wandering aimlessly through out the US and Canada since then. The only problems that have left us stranded (5.4 related) is a spark plug that ejected itself at about 150K and the lower hose tree that blew out a little after that.

I had been more concerned about the transmission wearing out because we were towing the trailer (5000 # dry weight). Had the trans rebuilt at about 120K by a friend and it has not been a problem since. The only real problem we have had with our '03 SMB is with the differentials. Since about 2007 we have put over $20,000 into the front Dana 60 axle. The Dana has given us far more problems than anything else. If it fails again I will have the shop put a Ford axle in its place.

Several years ago I used Shell motor oil for 3 oil changes but the 5.4 burned the oil at about 1qt every thousand miles or so. Changed back to Motorcraft blend and the problem stopped. When not towing the van does great. When towing the fully loaded (7600#) trailer the van does great up until we hit an uphill stretch of 7% grade. The van bogs down but has kept moving forward on most major highways. If we come to a very steep uphill grade I simply put the van into low range, sit back and enjoy the scenery. Our van now has a bit over 287,000 miles on it.

We have talked about having to rebuild the engine sometime in the future but we are driving fewer miles each year so it may take us another 10 years before we are forced to rebuild or replace the engine. A belated but big thanks to the members of this forum who have helped us when we have had a problem and/or a question over the years. Before the van fails it is more likely I will succumb to aging or the progression of my MS before the engine needs to have any major work done. If we are forced to settle down in a house somewhere it will be difficult to give up this lifestyle.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0042-1.jpg  
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #26
brp

I have the 5.4 in my E350 based mini bus., 4.10's on stock tires, but I'll be on 33-34 inches in a few days.

The mileage sucks and the power is sufficient. I wouldn't want the V10. I can accelerate just fine for a vehicle of the size and I can run 80mph comfortably.

I've owned a 7.3 truck, so I know that motor well.

I think the 5.4 is great, especially for the uses case for most of our vans, not usually towing, not usually in a hurry ( but 80mph is about the safe top speed anyway), not usually getting enough mileage annually for a diesel to pay back in efficiency, and sometimes having range be important.

When I was van shopping I was hoping to find a V10, but I'm kind of glad I didn't now.

I'm a believer in the 5.4 with the exception, possibly, if you live at altitude and tow frequently.

My van has about 130k, 2004, and seems really healthy, sample size of one so make of it what you will.
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:35 PM   #27

Just spoke to Larry. He is re gearing to 4:10 for 33” tires. He’s also putting Dana limited slip differential. Very excited. Still looking for an awesome mechanic in LA for some preventative maintenance and 5 Star tune. But I’m really feeling good about my 5.4 after reading through this thread. Really happy about my $5k investment of new suspension/ tires/ limited slip diff. Pictures coming soon! Thanks for all the advise!
Cruzliife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:04 PM   #28

2014 EB 5.4 6" lift 35s 4.56 gears 68k. 9180wgt fully loaded. Live in base altitude of 6512ft in higher altitudes alot. It's sufficient 65mph going up most grades isn't a problem keep it at 70mph on the interstate 10-12mpg. Wanted v10 but happy with the V8. Getting about the same mpg definitely gear up to 4.10-56 as others of said.
keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #29

Gears help a lot.
I had a 5 Star tune on mine and didn’t like it. The first tune they sent didn’t work at all. Second one failed, but not as bad. Third one worked great on the interstate but acted like it had no first gear in town and developed a shudder in the torque converter after a while. Put it back to stock and I’ll live with that for a while. I may try a tune from another company.
IMO A tune can accomplish a lot when the move the shift points and pressure. I don’t believe it added a single HP though. There’s just no physical way to add power to a na motor.
2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
...Do you ever hear the cooling fan come out? It's loud. If you've never heard the roar of your cooling fan, you fan clutch may be stuck.
This little tidbit got me thinking. I can't recall EVER hearing the fan kick in on my van. On the flip side, I've never seen the coolant temp gauge get high enough to cause even a little concern. I guess 8 gallons of coolant helps smooth out any temperature fluctuations, but I would like to know that the fan clutch is at least functional. I'm assuming my '98 5.4L uses a fluid type clutch? Any idea what temp it should kick in at?

edit to add some value: I have a 2wd E350 with a 5.4L, 4R100 trans, 4.56 gears, and 34" tall tires. As others here have already said, I find the power "adequate", but never "exciting." I regularly tow ~3,000lbs, occassionally ~8,000lbs, and very rarely 10-11,000lbs.

The van is used for hauling motorcycles, roadtripping, camping, and forest/desert road exploring. It's found its way down many "green circle"/easy 4wd routes and a handful of more difficult sections (detroit locker is invaluable here) and the 5.4 is not even remotely the limiting factor, keeping the trans cool is usually the first reason to slow my roll, then it's ultimately the lack of traction that makes me turn around, it's never been a lack of power that's held me back.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote