Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorefc View Post
Back to the original post, you haven't mentioned airing down. I find with my E350 and previous E250 SMB carrying a good compressor and airing has done a world of good for offroading in Baja over the years. I can get myself in as much trouble as the 4WD folks, but 25# in soft makes a huge difference. Just have to watch the sidewalls for rocks....I have Cooper AT3s.now but had Hancook stocks on the E250. Both work altho the Coopers are a significant offroad confidence builder.
Also I may have missed it, but didn't your SMB come with limited slip? If not limited slip makes a HUGE difference....
Engine life has been thoroughly wrung out here...lots of miles my E250 is still cruising with 250K+...Also subscribe to the Mark Kovalski (Ford factory trans engineer) tranny flush JWA mentioned.

I run Nankang Mudstars ~31.5", 265/75r16 That's the max you can fit in the front of a stock e250. Some guys air them down to 14psi with no issues. They are a mud tire made with street rubber so they last. 5/8" tread deep. Not really loud even in an empty van. Since I have insulated not even my wife notices them. They have a ring of holes on each side for studs. I don't have any issues in the winter and they clear mud well. I love them so much I just bought a set for my frontier. About 10,000 miles on them now and they look great. Guys get 40-50k easy.

skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote