Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #1

6.0 fuel filter replacement

Any tips on how to go about swapping the fuel filter located on top of the engine? Looks difficult to get to. The one under the van looks like a no-brainer.

I haven't had this van long and don't know the entire history. I've heard diesels like frequent fuel filter changes(?).

ecmccarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:12 AM   #2

Re: 6.0 fuel filter replacement

Here's a good article on how to go about it:

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/ ... -06-06.php

I changed mine every 10K miles. The diesels like clean fuel, don't skimp on intervals or filters...OEM only!!!!

Also, take a good look at the filter along the frame rail. If you still have the OEM fuel tank and it's starting or has been delaminating, you'll see grey flakes in the filter. This can cause low fuel pressure or over time the pieces can get small enough and make it past both filters...both conditions will kill the injectors. If you're seeing signs of tank delamination get it fixed ASAP. You can get the tank reconditioned where they'll boil/blast out the interior and then recoat it.

Good Luck!!!
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #3

The article that ridintall linked you to is the one I've been using for years now. I have nothing to add to it except I have scraped up knuckles every time I have to change the engine mounted fuel filter.

I've been using this website to buy my air and fuel filters, seems to be consistently among the least expensive - http://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/
Old 05-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #4

Re: Re: 6.0 fuel filter replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
The article that ridintall linked you to is the one I've been using for years now. I have nothing to add to it except I have scraped up knuckles every time I have to change the engine mounted fuel filter.

I've been using this website to buy my air and fuel filters, seems to be consistently among the least expensive - http://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/
Yep, good place to source OEM filters. I would buy in bulk....oil, fuel and air.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:33 PM   #5

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
Thanks! About 50% less than I was paying my local stealer.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #6

Thanks for all the great info! I love this forum! Now the job doesn't seem too difficult and I'll definitely save some $.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #7

Success! I finally got around to doing the job, and with all the info, it was really quite easy and I saved about $800 based on some local quotes I got for oil change and fuel filter change. Thanks all!
Old 05-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #8

Great to hear. It will be even easier next time.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecmccarthy
Success! I finally got around to doing the job, and with all the info, it was really quite easy and I saved about $800 based on some local quotes I got for oil change and fuel filter change. Thanks all!
That seems a bit excessive even for a Dealer. I think the going rate is $170 for the fuel filter change and $120 for regular oil. At $300 that's how the stealership makes money I guess.

Consider picking up a Fumoto drain valve for oil changes. Makes it real simple and less mess when dealing with 15 qts of oil. http://www.qwikvalve.com/fumoto-f111s-valve.html
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecmccarthy
Consider picking up a Fumoto drain valve for oil changes. Makes it real simple and less mess when dealing with 15 qts of oil. http://www.qwikvalve.com/fumoto-f111s-valve.html
I've never found removing the drain bolt to be much of a hassle or messy, especially when compared to draining/removing the two Amsoil filters. Is there any danger with the Fumoto drain valve in relation to driving off-road and something hitting it?