Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2015, 09:52 AM   #11

Re: 6.0 liter tranny temp issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudleyTania
THe tranny temp's were becoming problematic....
And exactly what is this magic temperature for breaking out the worry meter? I've found it difficult to find exactly what Ford considers hot or problematic but my TFT regularly climbs above 200F and I've seen it as high as 230F. Cause for worry? I'm not so sure.

One post I read on the powerstroke forum suggested that anything below 250F might be ok. If anything, if the tranny is running hot the fluid breaks down quicker and you may want to consider more frequent service interval than 30,000 miles.

From what I can tell it's ok for the 5R110 or 5R110W torqueshift transmission most of us have on the 6.0 to run hotter than what we would consider normal for EOT or ECT.

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:11 AM   #12

I did some poking around on this for my 4R100 (V-10 gas), and never found anything definitive. That said, there was pretty much agreement that anything over 250º F would not be good. Likewise anything under 200º F was pretty safe.

I also found a chart (not for any specific transmission, IIRC) that showed an inverse relationship between transmission temperature and life length of the transmission. It was basically what you would expect, with super long life at a very low temp (100º or something like that), a medium life at, say, 180º, and a short life at 250º or thereabouts. Essentially, the cooler the better (although of course it if were always too cool maybe there would be condensation issues - but probably not a real-world concern with our rigs). Darned if I can find the chart now though - sorry.

Just for data points, the E4OD in my '97 E250 5.4 gas ran at around 160º - 170º F pulling around 7,600# of van. That would creep up a bit when towing (4,500# trailer), but not too far. HIghest temp towing was 184º at the top of Homestake Pass (out of OD). Oddly, I got it up to 199ª (at which point I pulled over and let it cool down) *not towing* up one of the big Sierra passes (maybe it was Sonora), on a coolish day.

I now have a '98 E-350 V-10 4R100. In stock trim (factory cooler) and at around 10,000# of van, I'd run at around 180º, not towing. So I probably didn't need to do anything, but I wanted to look over at the Scan Gauge and see nice cool temps, even when towing in hot weather, so I put on a big transmission cooler (Tru Cool 40,000) and now it really does run cool as a cucumber. Last summer towing up some big passes in very hot weather, it stayed right around 160º F or so. Ahhhhh. I still get up over the (recommended to me) 135º in normal operation, although I don't drive in sub-zero temps (if I did I might change something as it might run too cool).

Okay, maybe that's not even helpful, and I'm no expert, but I'd be uncomfortable seeing my 4R100 (or similar) transmission temp at 250º F.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
I also found a chart (not for any specific transmission, IIRC) that showed an inverse relationship between transmission temperature and life length of the transmission. It was basically what you would expect, with super long life at a very low temp (100º or something like that), a medium life at, say, 180º, and a short life at 250º or thereabouts. Essentially, the cooler the better (although of course it if were always too cool maybe there would be condensation issues - but probably not a real-world concern with our rigs). Darned if I can find the chart now though - sorry.
This one perhaps?
Attached Thumbnails
TFT_life_expectancy.jpg  
Old 03-30-2015, 01:56 PM   #14

That was it, thank you! Obviously generic, but still maybe useful (?)
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:16 AM   #15

Keep Cool Guys,

I have a 2006 6.0 EB, 6" lift on 35" tires, with 4.56 gears. I routinely pull a 30' travel trailer (9000lbs) long distances. I've pulled the trailer up all the interstate passes in Colorado (everything on 70, 50 and 160).

I have a Mag-Hytec transmission pan, True Cool Max 45000BTU transmission cooler, and most important a tune from Mike at 5 Star that activates my fan starting around 190 degrees. EOT

I had it activate early since my 06 has such small grill openings and it's further obstructed with my Aluminess bumper.

My normal flat driving transmission temp is around 160 degrees. Pulling large passes I may see 190. (honestly I don't remember exactly, it's always been so low I really stopped paying attention to it.)

I spend my time watching EOT and EGT. With our setup transmission temp is never an issue.

Jim
capnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnjim
Keep Cool Guys,

I have a 2006 6.0 EB, 6" lift on 35" tires, with 4.56 gears. I routinely pull a 30' travel trailer (9000lbs) long distances. I've pulled the trailer up all the interstate passes in Colorado (everything on 70, 50 and 160).

I have a Mag-Hytec transmission pan, True Cool Max 45000BTU transmission cooler, and most important a tune from Mike at 5 Star that activates my fan starting around 190 degrees. EOT

I had it activate early since my 06 has such small grill openings and it's further obstructed with my Aluminess bumper.

My normal flat driving transmission temp is around 160 degrees. Pulling large passes I may see 190. (honestly I don't remember exactly, it's always been so low I really stopped paying attention to it.)

I spend my time watching EOT and EGT. With our setup transmission temp is never an issue.

Jim
Geez, at 190F EOT isn't the fan on just about all the time? Unless you've got an external oil cooler as well the oil always seems to be above that temp at most ambient air temps. Mine is unbearably loud.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:01 PM   #17

Is it loud? Yes! Windows down, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, booming stereo, you won't even notice it!

Seriously though, not sure if it's a full speed, but it's it's not too bad. For me cool temps trump noise!

Jim
Old 04-01-2015, 08:04 PM   #18

Oh, one more item. I also have deleted my EGR which helps keep temps down.

Jim