Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2017, 09:09 PM   #1

6.0 oil filter options

Hello Sportsmobile forum members! I'm in the early phase of a Sportsmobile build using my 2004 E-350 extended van. The van has been bulletproofed-complete with updated bed plate seal, blue spring update, studs, Diesel site turbo, etc.

I ordered U-Joint Offroad's 4 inch kit and read that the factory oil filter housing needs to be relocated for the conversion. I wanted to run an Amsoil remote oil filter kit, but found out Sportsmobile is no longer producing the oil block necessary for the conversion. U-Joint makes an oil filter relocation kit, however, it's pricey and I'm not a big fan of the European-style canister filter housings.

Does anyone know of other solutions or can point to me a thread that addresses this same issue? I appreciate any feedback

drew5250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:11 PM   #2

A very (very) expensive and ultimate solution is to adapt a Bullet Proof Diesel air oil cooler ($2200 + the install) to the Amsoil remote coolers. Mine looks like this at the old filter location. Blue hoses going back to the Amsoil bypass. The BPD website now has a warning for 4x4 compatibility and the current adapter looks totally different than this. It's unfortunate but after I did this I did not get back the SMB block adapter that it replaced from the shop. Good luck in your search for other alternatives.

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:18 PM   #3

Thanks for the input, Pat. I've explored the BPD option and will likely go that route, though it's discouraging that it will likely cost $3500ish when labor is factored into the equation. A rep from SMB told me that they no longer produce the oil block because 6.0's are no longer in production...but there has to be a market out there to justify production.
drew5250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #4
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew5250 View Post
Thanks for the input, Pat. I've explored the BPD option and will likely go that route, though it's discouraging that it will likely cost $3500ish when labor is factored into the equation. A rep from SMB told me that they no longer produce the oil block because 6.0's are no longer in production...but there has to be a market out there to justify production.
I'd call BPD and talk with them directly if you haven't already. The website states that there oil coiler will not work with most 4x4 vans and to call for options. I've been meaning to call them but haven't yet...
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:27 AM   #5
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew5250 View Post
Hello Sportsmobile forum members! I'm in the early phase of a Sportsmobile build using my 2004 E-350 extended van. The van has been bulletproofed-complete with updated bed plate seal, blue spring update, studs, Diesel site turbo, etc.
What blue spring kit did you go with?
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:26 PM   #6
JMC

PatO, I'm looking at doing the Amsoil bypass install with my BPD oil cooler as well. I'm having trouble locating the correct part number from Amsoil for the adapter that connects to the BPD oil filter housing. The BPD housing has a 1-12 thread, but Amsoil doesn't list an adapter for that. What shop did your install?
JMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:32 PM   #7

East County Diesel, Bobby Fields is the owner and main parts scrounger. He had new hoses built and spent a lot of effort getting a adapter combination to work. There's a picture in my album if I didn't post it above.
619-334-6005

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC View Post
PatO, I'm looking at doing the Amsoil bypass install with my BPD oil cooler as well. I'm having trouble locating the correct part number from Amsoil for the adapter that connects to the BPD oil filter housing. The BPD housing has a 1-12 thread, but Amsoil doesn't list an adapter for that. What shop did your install?
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6.0, oil block, oil filter, powerstroke