Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2016, 08:58 AM   #1

6.0 powerstroke stalling out.

Anyone else having issues with van turning off while driving? What could be the issue? I have a 2005 6.0 diesel . 167k on the clock. Any help would be appreciated.

Jaimes35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:24 AM   #2

I'm not a 6.0 expert at all, but low battery voltage or a clogged fuel filter will kill mosts modern diesels, and I know low voltage can be a real problem, and cause bigger problems quickly.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:43 AM   #3

Thank you arctic. I'll start there and see what happens.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
Mine did the same...bad wiring harness. What was happening on my rig was the engine would stumble at times or completely shut down but then start right back up. This happened over the period of several months. When I sent it in for repair I had SMB do some other work prior to replacing the harness by a diesel shop. One of the SMB techs got the privilege of having the engine shut down at 65MPH on the highway . Before that, the engine had usually just cut out for a second at high speed or died at slow speeds from time to time. It never left me stranded but it was nerve racking especially on one off road adventure waiting for a complete shut down. Luckily it never left me stranded. BTW there was no CEL or any record of issues with any engine codes which I thought strange. I didn't like throwing money at a guess but I figured being close to 90K on the engine it would be part one of the bullet proofing. I also had a bullet proof FICM installed. The shop thought the FICM was good but I had been wanting to upgrade it anyway. They did give me the old harness and showed me where it had rubbed in spots and other sections that were brittle.

I had a new harness installed (later heat wrapped) and hood louvers installed to help lower the heat (hopefully) in the engine bay. The shop doing the wrapping is in Fresno called J's Performance Diesel.

No mechanic here and I'm not saying this is your problem.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:23 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage
Also no issues with battery or the fuel system. I had all that done before I jumped into the deep end. I actually thought something was in the tank causing it to kill the fuel flow.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:23 PM   #6

High pressure oil pump (HPOP) perhaps? Taht will cause the engine to stop while running. It should crank but not fire. But you don't really describe any other symptoms or what other work/mods you've had done to your motor. Does it start up again when cold?

Do you have the ability to check for codes? Is the check engine light on?

edit to add: I see you have a 2005. Lots of issues with the STC fitting. AKA. Snap to Connect. A part re-designed for 2006. The original was a 2-piece unit and prone to failure, the updated one is 1-piece. It routes the oil from the HPOP. A $35 part and very expensive repair.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:24 PM   #7

Thanks guys. I ran into a similar problem last year and the fixed a few connection and replaced the hpop. Seemed to fix the problem but am thinking the harness is the issue. Mine is doing exactly what daveb's was. Thanks again I knew I could get some great answers from here
Old 06-26-2016, 07:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimes35 View Post
Thanks guys. I ran into a similar problem last year and the fixed a few connection and replaced the hpop. Seemed to fix the problem but am thinking the harness is the issue. Mine is doing exactly what daveb's was. Thanks again I knew I could get some great answers from here
I had a harness issue, but mine as a non-start, only once did it die on me. There is a bulliten out there with all the known harness "rub" points. It's not easy to go over them all on the van, but it's dooable. Mine was the main harness running from engine to FICM, I managed to fix it by removing all the tape, fixing the wire, re-taping with a far better quality & thicker tape (automotive grade self-fusing tape), and slightly moving it's location so it didn't rub any more.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:05 PM   #9

Thanks sheep shagger. I'll look into That.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:20 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage
Not sure but the shop also told me about an issue with the FICM plug that is common.