Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2014, 10:18 AM   #11

Re: 6.0 problems and all your issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedVermonter
Im a soon to be SMB owner and I been overwhelmed with all the negative things I hear about the 6.0. Im all for a diesel for the long life and great for traveling
Better range for traveling, but more cabin noise.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Austin
Although there are folks that have had problems, in these days of social media, you will get an impression that they never live long, but that could be incorrect.
The class action settlement was just a beat up then?
Part of that was the fact that International made the engine and not Ford. More power and lower emissions with less displacement. They were trying to keep up with Cummins. http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com ... story.html

Either way, no diesel is bombproof and it is true that on internet forums nobody posts their good experiences, only the bad.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Either way, no diesel is bombproof and it is true that on internet forums nobody posts their good experiences, only the bad.
I've posted plenty about my good experiences.... with the V10.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #14

BeardedVermonter: JoeH posted a good link which contains additional links which may answer your questions. Here is one of them:

http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com ... blems.html

I thought the paragraph on "6.0L & Performance Modifications" was particularly interesting.

Please understand that no engine including the 7.3L is "bulletproof" (as I have experienced) - just different things to watch out for and different maintenance requirements.

I have personally been forced to take an active "involvement" in my relationship with my engine.

And IMHO, it is better to do that before you are forced to do it.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #15

So do many of these 6.0 problems also affect the later VT365 and MaxxForce7 engine designations? Sounds like the emissions equipment evolved over time. And in heavier trucks/buses/RVs some of the emissions equipment may have not even been used.

If you guys also know about the VT275 or MaxxForce5 version in V6 instead of V8 configuration I'd like to hear if we should stay away from those too. Ford used these in some medium trucks with a 200 HP rating and 440 lb-ft of torque.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #16

The 6.0 in a van was rated at 235HP, 440lb-ft, same as most VT365 applications. In a pickup it was rated at 325HP. The pickup guys have many more problems than the vanners. EGR and turbo problems affect both applications, but most of the headgasket/head bolt/etc. problems are in more highly stressed pickups, not vans.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:00 AM   #17

2005 E350 w/6.0 liter - lots of material on the engine all of which points to Fed's forcing Ford to address the emission issue with 7.3L (which has no issues except black smoke). We did EGR delete, HPOP replace as it blew, IPR replace, etc, etc, etc - the engine runs like the wind but was costly to get it up to present condition. All issues revolve around engine heat and emissions (EGR), so would definitely recommend a monitoring system/chip. Also, unless specified by the seller that the aforementioned issues have been dealt with - assume they haven't and be prepared to deal with them - get AAA RV coverage for towing because you can prepare yourself for a blown HPOP or head gasket when the EGR overheats and blows through.
DudleyTania is offline   Reply With Quote