Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2019, 12:04 PM   #31

It's not so much that the 4R100 is weak, and more that Ford did a terrible job integrating it with the 7.3L.

One problem being an undersized cooler, but the root cause is the programming. Because the 7.3L has a far narrower usable torque range than the V10, Ford just programmed it to run unlocked much of the time, so it wouldn't fall on its face at every gear shift.

The 5R110 could be swapped in to an older van, fit-wise. But you'd have to run a standalone controller, and the 5R110 is not an easy transmission to program. Get something wrong on swap-shift timing, you might end up scattering parts on the road.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:47 AM   #32

Go buy a v10 4WD van for $15K, swap over any and all of the stuff you like from your van and recoup most if not all of your money by SELLING your current van.

You might not end up with a "Sportsmobile" van however you will have a solid V10 van with all of your money still in your pocket. You could then spend that extra $10K you were talking about the convert your current van to V10 power and add the Pop Top and most anything else you wanted on your new to you V10 4WD van!

2001 Chevrolet Express 3500 Quigley 4WD ATF "Bomber Van"
1995 Chevrolet ASSTRO 4WD Quigley Custom Van
1994 Dodge B350 Sportsmobile Van
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:50 AM   #33

Where does one find a 2009+ V10 Quigley for sub-15K that isn't beat/rusted to hell?

Border Patrol/DEA has been selling some REALLY nice 2010+ V10 Quigleys that have 15-20K mi, but they're asking $30K, not $15K.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:28 PM   #34

Fellow 6.0 owner here, we have only had our van (2006, 200k miles) for about a year now. I had a lot of reservations about the 6.0 before purchasing but when I found the right van (I.e. all other non-engine specs, right price, etc) and it had a 6.0, convinced myself with copious hours scouring the internet that if I was willing to put the money into an engine-out bulletproofing and head studs that it was a good reliable engine. So right after our purchase we put about $12k into that bulletproofing process (link here) and have put about 10,000 miles on the engine since. Although we have had a couple of issues with the van in that time, neither was related to the diesel (faulty wiring harness and a brake booster). I live in Phoenix, so the heat is something I have to constantly be cognizant of, but the van and I are getting to the point where I think we really like each other We have two small kids, and the hum of that engine actually puts them both to sleep on long road trips - to the point where its when we stop that they wake up. The mileage is decent for a huge van like ours, and I just plan to stay on top of fluids above and beyond what is recommended. Not being my daily driver, my biggest challenge is just to make sure that I give the van regular exercise as I know they don't like to sit. 10,000 miles isn't a lot of miles, so I guess the jury is out somewhat, but so far so good.

I would second something that others have said - there's a LOT of value in knowing what you have. The bulletproofing/head studs is something thousands of others have been through with success. Once you get that done, you should feel pretty good about the engine itself. Tackling some other engine swap seems scary to me, like a whole new can of worms. I wouldn't want to blaze a new trail if it were me. If you go the bulletproofing route, give the link that I posted a read - I got a lot of great advice from others on the forum on what to do while the engine is out. Then you're starting with a basically new engine the way that Ford should have designed it in the first place. Taking care of any leaks you have at the same time should be easy.

My two cents
ndubes is offline   Reply With Quote