Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2019, 03:45 PM   #11

Garage
Intentions were to update this Thread in the event it may help others (down the road), but kept procrastinating.
After all the great responses to my inquiry, and quite a bit of reading on other relevant Forums, Dealer located the problem - it all turned out to be a single wire that encroached on the exhaust manifold, after the casing wore away it would occasionally ground.
Passenger side of the wire harness had a small section that came apart allowing the one wire to make contact.
Problem resolved...but still planning on replacing the harness (probably next year) and will duplicate daveb's suggestion of adding heat wrap at the same time

Old 05-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #12

I had a issue a year ago with the van feeling like it was about to downshift for a split second but it wouldn't actually downshift. Code said it was a speed sensor. Shop changed the sensor in the trans and it still did it. They changed one in the dash and it still did it. They found and repaired a burned wire in the transmission wiring harness and it still did it. They subbed the job to a transmission shop who changed the transmission wiring harness which fixed it. Took a couple months in and out of the shop to trace it down. It always ran fine for a while until it got hot and then acted up again.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:42 AM   #13

2006 E-350 Quigley. I had a similar set of issues starting at 155k. Local shop (independent, and I wouldn't go back) had it for 2 weeks, gave it back to me without a true fix, and I couldn't even make it home before the issue arose again. Limped home, researched and found all the info on chaffing points (the shop had not even checked FSBs ��), and I THINK I fixed the issue (ya never know with electrical ghosts).

However, when I was considering a full harness replacement I was having trouble sourcing one. Anybody have a suggestion on source(s)? Even my local Ford said they weren't being supplied anymore(?).
gilp6636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilp6636 View Post
2006 E-350 Quigley. I had a similar set of issues starting at 155k. Local shop (independent, and I wouldn't go back) had it for 2 weeks, gave it back to me without a true fix, and I couldn't even make it home before the issue arose again. Limped home, researched and found all the info on chaffing points (the shop had not even checked FSBs ��), and I THINK I fixed the issue (ya never know with electrical ghosts).

However, when I was considering a full harness replacement I was having trouble sourcing one. Anybody have a suggestion on source(s)? Even my local Ford said they weren't being supplied anymore(?).
Try fordparts.com. It will redirect to ford's official parts portal. This is where I ordered my ECU to transmission harness. Took a quick look and they seem to list at least a few of the major wiring harnesses for the 6.0. The website is just OK, seems to have all the parts, but sometimes need a lot of personal footwork to find what you need. Not sure why your local dealer would say what they said, Ford assembled my 2006 harness mid 2018 in Mexico, so I would assume they are all still being built.

A word of advice, pricing is Dealer dependent. If you shop different dealers on the website, pricing may be significantly different from one dealer to another. Compare your local with a few others nearby. May be worth while even after shipping. Based on recommendations on another forum, I found that Sunrise Ford in SoCal seems to be very competitive. I have also ordered out of Autonation White Bear in MN in the past.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:59 PM   #15

Go to Fordpartsgiant.com or TASCA Ford parts. I got a new ford complete engine harness for about $600. Sure beats the list price. Part # 6C2Z-12B637-UA
6C2Z-12B637-UA
Wire Assy
Main Harness - Engine , Navistar I.D. # 1846759C9*
Production Date: 10/2005-06/2007
Base Number: 12B637
Callout Name: 12B637
List $1389.38 $750.96
The guys at Tasca were really helpful. (you will have 15 minutes of wait time but they will answer, I couldn't get them to return a call though) You need to get the harness code off the tag under the Air intake.

Paul
Old 05-21-2019, 07:11 PM   #16

Garage
Czar308 and oldbonesclimber >>> Info & suggestions you've shared have a lot of value, and will save me a lot of time and potential frustration - appreciate your contributions!
Old 05-22-2019, 07:02 AM   #17
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I'm working on another unrelated issue but something I'll be using might be helpful as you get this new wire harness installed: https://www.holley.com/products/plum...e/flame_guard/

If anything could benefit from this sort of material it would certainly be wiring whether in a harness or individual runs.

Glad you're getting this sorted out---not fun having an intermittent problem.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:23 AM   #18

Great tips and resources here, thanks a ton!
Super weird that this local dealer said they didn't have one AND couldn't source one...
gilp6636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilp6636 View Post
Great tips and resources here, thanks a ton!
Super weird that this local dealer said they didn't have one AND couldn't source one...

I think they sometimes give up looking if it takes too long. Recently, I was at a dealer to buy some ATF (it was less expensive than at the local autoparts place) and while I was there, I thought I would get a spare U-joint, but the parts guy couldn't find the correct one on his computer. Really? Napa found it in about two minutes.............Hummmm
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote