Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2017, 09:54 PM   #1

6.0L ac compressor seized - cost?

Ok so I'm out in Indiana with the van and right as I picked up the girls from the airport the ac started to smell like roasted brakes and stopped working. Took it to a dealer here (Tom wood) and got a pretty steep bill. I just want to double check before I take it in Monday for the actual service.

Seized compressor $1509.55 ($840+ for part)
accumulator (seized) $294.62
orifice (seized) $77.97
Flush (seized) $224.45

Breakdown parts $1300 labor 5 hours

Total (in pen $2300)

So online compressors are around $475, which I understand a markup, and they need to warranty. The thing that starred to nag me is they made me fill out and sign a paper with credit card info agreeing they would charge me for the part if I didn't come back. At the time all I wanted was it to be done asap. They also have an estimate for front brakes and rotors for $699 which I'm not doing and some other things.

So in the mix I also get a comp rental (no doubt a compact) for two days while they work and the place is five minutes away from our rental- so I don't mind paying a little premium, but my family has me all worked up like I'm paying double. Of course every dealer is closed by the time I write this but the question is should I shop around and fight them about the parts order or is it a small enough difference I can just get on with my vacation and not sweat it? Thoughts?

Old 06-24-2017, 12:36 AM   #2

6.0L ac compressor seized - cost?

Never heard of a dealer making you guarantee a purchase of a common part like an E-van compressor. That's something any good dealer would stock at least one of, I'd think, so it's not like they'd be stuck with some esoteric part that they couldn't resell.

For some comparison, I recent paid $420 to have my system evac'd and recharged (system had lost all refrigerant), and a few custom hoses and fittings for the Starcool.

The part price probably includes next day shipping if they didn't have it in stock, and the rental car is at least a $100 value for two days, I'd guess.

Assuming that you can't get out of buying the part from them, you're options are either have them do it and try to negotiate the price down (5 hours sounds like a lot), buy the part and take it to another, cheaper shop, or buy the part and take it back home and live without the A/C until then.

First thing Monday call another dealer or two and get price quotes on the phone. Maybe it will make you feel like you are getting an ok deal after all. Or if one is a lot cheaper for everything besides the compressor, buy that at dealer #1 and then take it to the other dealer for the work. Or use the other quote as negotiating leverage.

Good luck! $2300 is a bummer on vacation.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:02 AM   #3

Had new compressor, new accumulator and I think a line redone in a 2000 e350 Quigley V10 accompressor down low, with rear air - non dealer ~ $1100. I can pull the invoice tomorrow if needed.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:32 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage
There is a little bit of work to get the compressor out of the 6.0PSD with a SMB 4x4 conversion plus (for me at least) my mechanic has to deal with the friggin Starcool. Don't know if he's giving me a break, but mine is in for the same thing right now. He's a business & quoted me 600 for the Ford compressor... err I haven't paid yet. I had him install an aftermarket a few years back and it didn't last. Damn Jeremiah now you got me spooked. I don't remember it costing that much.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:58 AM   #5

uh, something seems a bit off.

Motorcraft AC compressor at Autonation Ford 4L3Z-19703-AC
Compressor for 2005 Ford E-350 Super Duty|4L3Z-19703-AC : AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories

I think you have a gasser? The 6.8L is $290.
CC2Z-19703-D

Compressor tube 6C2Z-19D850-BA $252
https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts...19d850-ba.html
Accummulator is $96 and orifaces $35 ea.

Labor is 4 to 5 hours or ~$500. Total cost should be closer to $1700 or $1800 so you're not getting ripped off too bad. I would haggle on the cost of the compressor. The other stuff and labor seems in line with what I paid from an independent repair shop that I've done business with for 30 years.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:43 AM   #6

My local dealers are usually about 2x what Autonation charges for OEM parts.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #7

Ok good feedback, thanks everyone. Called another dealer and the total parts and labor was within $25, so I'm going to keep my set appt with the closer dealer. My goal at this point is least aggravation anyway. I'll check back Tuesday with results, or earlier if I think to post whatever clown car I get as a rental.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #8

I had the same issue over Thanksgiving last year, compressor, belt, belt tensioner and evaporator 2k w labor
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:40 AM   #9

Well it got finished the same day but scheduling kept me in the rental for an extra day. The total was $2280 and everything was tip top. It seems like the engine struggled less after- I mean I can't imagine a seized compressor or anything else actually slowing the diesel down, but I could tell a difference in the downshifting and the turbo kicking in.

I've had it since Wed (near a week) including the drive back across Kansas in the sweltering heat- which actually wasn't as hot as on my trip out but everything worked flawlessly. I am glad I double checked with the other dealer but apart from the bald faced expense of it everything went as good as can be expected.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #10

Thanks jage for sharing your adventure with the A/C. I see it as a service to share stories of what went wrong and how you solved it while on the road. Breaking down far from home, i believe, is a source of anxiety for many.

I have thought about your situation of a failed/seized compressor at times on my own adventures. I understand the advantages of a serpentine belt arrangement on a motor but I also miss the days of separate V belts where one could just remove the belt on the offending accessory and continue on. One vehicle I had years ago was designed for the three v belts to be interchangeable in such a situation. This topic has reaffirmed my practice of replacing things near the end of their life preemptively in the driveway on a day that I get to chose. Which can save a bit of money too, but you can't plan for everything.

Thanks again jage,
-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote