Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #11
Site Team

Re: 6.0L, Aluminess front bumper, Bullet Prof Diesel oil coo

It may likely take about 45 minutes of constant driving before the temps are stable. Like Mike mentioned, transients significantly larger than 15 degrees are OK, and common, so don't freak out when you see them. A long, straight, flat road is best to get your measurements.

Herb

Old 05-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
It may likely take about 45 minutes of constant driving before the temps are stable. Like Mike mentioned, transients significantly larger than 15 degrees are OK, and common, so don't freak out when you see them. A long, straight, flat road is best to get your measurements.

Herb
At 65mph or so or 2000 RPM. The transients result from the coolant temp decreasing much more rapidly upon cresting a hill than the oil temp. More info here: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/genera ... l-psd.html
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler

Herb
At 65mph or so or 2000 RPM. The transients result from the coolant temp decreasing much more rapidly upon cresting a hill than the oil temp. More info here: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/genera ... l-psd.html
Good info, thanks to you both.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #14

Hi Guys,

One my van, I did a EGR delete, new oil cooler and a towing tune by Mike at 5 star focusing on low oil and coolant temps.

I can tell you with these mods the oil cooler is more than sufficient to do the job even towing 10,000 pounds with 35" tires on the van over every single Colorado Hwy Pass.

The BPD cooler is not needed IMO.

Jim

2006 E350 EB
Ujoint Offroad 6" on 35's with 4.56 gears
75,000 miles on 6.0PSD
capnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnjim
Hi Guys,

One my van, I did a EGR delete, new oil cooler and a towing tune by Mike at 5 star focusing on low oil and coolant temps.

I can tell you with these mods the oil cooler is more than sufficient to do the job even towing 10,000 pounds with 35" tires on the van over every single Colorado Hwy Pass.

The BPD cooler is not needed IMO.

Jim

2006 E350 EB
Ujoint Offroad 6" on 35's with 4.56 gears
75,000 miles on 6.0PSD
I agree with you providing a good flush of the block was done in conjunction with the EGR delete and new oil cooler. Otherwise, the OEM oil cooler is going to clog again. What EGR delete kit did you go with?

And just for discussion sake, I'm curious what 5Star told you regarding their tune. I don't see how any tune that increases HP (ie., a tow tune) can focus (presume you mean reduce) oil and coolant temps. A custom tune advances the timing to increase the power resulting in higher operating temps. Perhaps their tune is primarily a transmission tune with quicker and firmer shift points?
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #16

I have recently had the Bulletproof oil cooler installed on my 2005 RB50 with an Aluminess front bumper. The shop cut rectangles out of the front and back of the bumper to allow for air flow. It looks pretty sharp and has generally kept the oil temps down. They originally cut the hole in the front of the bumper to small and it prevented good air flow. The engine oil got pretty hot on a steep grade here in Tahoe. They made the hole larger yesterday. I have not tested it on a steep grade yet. The only install issue was the location of the new oil filter. When installed per Bulletproof's instructions, it touched the front drive line. The shop removed the driveline to eliminate any chance of damage to the oil filter. I am taking the van back to the shop next Monday to have them retrofit a bracket to move the oil filter over a bit. They will then reinstall the front driveline. I will keep you posted on how it turns out. I will upload photos soon.

Sloan
zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr
I have recently had the Bulletproof oil cooler installed on my 2005 RB50 with an Aluminess front bumper. The shop removed the driveline to eliminate any chance of damage to the oil filter. I am taking the van back to the shop next Monday to have them retrofit a bracket to move the oil filter over a bit. They will then reinstall the front driveline. I will keep you posted on how it turns out. I will upload photos soon.

Sloan
I appreciate the update. I look forward to the pictures.

Now, am I correct in assuming that the "driveline" is the drive shaft?

Thanks,

David
Old 06-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #18

I misspoke. Drive shaft is the proper term.
zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote