Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #1

6.0L Coolant Filter Setup Opinions...

Well I thought I'd done enough homework before I purchased a Sinister Coolant Filter Kit and I've discovered that it doesn't come close to fitting in the location show in the instructions. Even if I try and modify the bracket, there's little clearance for the canister to prevent rubbing on the AC line. It would also require cutting into the power supply box cover and that won't happen. I'm looking for opinions on what others have done in this situation. What "brand" is everyone using? I have a 2006 E350 6.0L with rear AC. A bit perplexed at the moment because everything I've located seems to be for the F Series. Thanks.

Barry

lonepeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #2

Re: 6.0L Coolant Filter Setup Opinions...

I installed one made by Dieselsite which has an E-series option. Mine is mounted along the frame rail in front of the starter batteries. http://www.dieselsite.com/2003-200760lc ... rpump.aspx

This one made by Innovative Performance Research is highly regarded on the diesel forums. Not sure how it fits the van. http://www.iprresearch.com/product.php? ... =59&page=1
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #3

I'm having one installed right now along with some other work. Things are still apart but I plan on visiting the shop on Tuesday and I'll see what I can find out. I do not have rear AC though. On the invoice it is listed as 6.4 coolant filtration system (SINSMC) so I assume it is a Sinister.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #4

Here's what I did:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11926
Old 11-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #5

The folks at Sinister are coming up with a plan. I'll be able to post the results in a few days. Thanks for the response.

Barry
Old 11-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #6

There really isn't room in the engine compartment for the filter. Here is how I did mine:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3832

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #7

I put mine under the aluminess front bumper, drivers side in the pocket next to the box, up and underneath.
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #8

Well the fix is in...Sinister sent me the setup for a 6.4L at no cost to exchange. For my van with all the "stuff" that seems to be attached to the inside of the frame, I ended up mounting near the fuel tank in a protected area on the outside frame. With the rear heater line, I was able to tap that at the back of the engine in the doghouse area. Still, I was short about 5' of hose. Tapping at the usual spot would have been closer to 10'. Thanks for all the help. I would post photos but they are too large. I'm happy to email them to anyone attempting this project.

Barry
Old 05-05-2014, 11:12 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Why is it so many coolant filter says they can't be CARB compliant? Is there a CARB compliant version? Stupid state is saying anything that is add-on and not stamped CARB COMPLIANT is illegal. Not that they are enforcing it (yet) but how can something that doesn't affect emissions be illegal? So duel oil filters will be illegal next?

Any ideas on this one. Seems simple to install. Any pros/cons
http://www.xtremediesel.com/XDP-6.0L-Co ... XD143.aspx

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:29 AM   #10

I have a 6.0l sinister coolant filter and had to do some troubleshooting with the mounting. I mounted it near the frame under the van and have a custom box made for it that's easy to access for filter changes. Very pleased with how it came out, but the Sinister filter, like others out there, was certainly designed for the truck models.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote