Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #1

6.0L Needs Turbo?

Ok so the other day I had a CEL which I mentioned. The code is P0299 Turbo Underboost. I switched it off because it drove fine, and I was due for emissions right then. It did in fact it manged to pass emissions just fine.

Five minutes later, on the way home however, it came back. So I took it back to the diesel place and they're saying maybe it might may hmmm could need a new turbo. They're going to do some more tests Monday.

OK. So there is no lack of power- I mean in so much as you can tell on a 12,000lb 4x4 van right? But seriously I can still beat a moderate car up a steep incline accelerating. Has a nice normal whistle at appropriate times. Second... I mean if it's the turbo wouldn't it be obvious as heck? I mean that's like either a turbo or not, right? You don't get like a little bit of turbo not working do you?

My preliminary research was either an air restriction (yes I checked for another mouse nest in the airbox!) or a bad sensor- namely because of the unaffected power.

So that said, is it possibly the turbo? Likely the turbo? Are they going to say it's the turbo when it's just a sensor?

If it is the turbo what is a reasonable cost, are there any upgrades to do (aftermarket turbine etc)?

Arm me with some knowings so I may have a reasonable chance on Monday of surviving an adult conversation!

Old 04-08-2016, 06:04 PM   #2

does the van sit?
How long?
How hard do you drive it?

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:14 PM   #3

Only for like three years

I know, I know. I do drive it hard but it also has short driveway trips. On the other hand I've been to Indiana and back and a few moderate trips worth no problems so far this year. I'd hope if it was the long sitting it would have showed up before since I'm back to actually using it (meaning of it sat for three years I'd think the turbo would have problems then, not many months and half a dozen trips later? )
Old 04-08-2016, 06:21 PM   #4

P0299 code can be caused by a few things. Sticking vanes or rust on the unison ring are common culprits and most places will recommend simply buying a stocker for $1000 rather than cleaning and rebuilding it. The parts are actually cheap and you could consider putting in a billet compressor wheel and stainless unison ring.

It could just be an air leak somewhere. Loose boot or bad clamp. All it takes is a pin hole. ICP sensor is something else to check. If it comes down to a new turbo there are many options. Garret Powermax use to be the #1 recommended upgrade but they are not plug and play and usually require a custom PCM tune to get ride of the turbo lag.

I just had a stage 1.5 KCturbo installed in mine. Highly recommended. Complete Turbos - 6.0L Powerstroke - Products
Attached Thumbnails
KCturbo 1.5_8_small.jpg   KCturbo 1.5_5_small.jpg  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #5

Look at your brake rotors after sitting a few weeks/months, covered in rust.
Most turbo issues are result of the variable veins not being "worked" often, allowing carbon/rust to build up. Using cetene boost boost/fuel additive, and ideally run the truck hard allowing the turbo veins to cycle a few times every few weeks. If it sits, these veins don't move freely and build more carbon, causing a fault code.

2010 SMB
Old 04-08-2016, 06:26 PM   #6

Vanes by the way, not "veins" my bad from quick reply

That said, you need to run your turbo ("heart" ) or you may get bad veins!

2010 SMB
Old 04-08-2016, 06:26 PM   #7

We had the same code a few years ago (of course it happened in the wee hours on a drive down 395 to Yosemite). Van also drove just fine, no noticeable loss of power. Turned out that there was some coking in the turbo which prevented the vanes from opening all the way up. Had the turbo cleaned, replaced the unison ring. $1700. Advice was to periodically really stomp on the accelerator to get the vanes moving thru full range. No issues since then.

-- Gordon
gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:19 PM   #8
Site Team

Is this some new guy asking a question on the forum? FNG!

I vote for sticking/rusted vanes.

Herb
Old 04-08-2016, 09:00 PM   #9

In the 60's and 70's it was carbon on the valves, A New Leaf with Walter Matthau. Now it is carbon on the turbo. The fix was the same, drive it hard to blow it out.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:55 PM   #10

What are you reading your codes with? Are you also reading ICP pressure and boost? If you have plenty of boost (you should be making 23-25 psi) the you most likely don't have any CAC leaks.

A stuck turbo or sticking vanes will trigger other turbo codes besides P0299 (ie., P0478, P2262, P2263). If the vanes were stuck you wouldn't be making any power. When you take it in ask that it get diagnosed with the proper scan tool before they tear into it. Suggest that they put the turbo through a function test.

If the code does indeed turn out to be the turbo this is a nice read on reconditioning the one you have before simply plopping a new one on there: Turbocharger Reconditioning - DTS Articles - Articles - Articles - DTS

edit to add: don't let them talk you into a $1500 turbo with some unknown mark-up. The stocker can be found for $750. http://performancetruckproducts.com/...wCQaAo4T8P8HAQ
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote