Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2014, 03:54 AM   #101
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: 6.7L Cummins conversion project

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH
Awesome, keep it up! My wife just asked me what I was looking so intently at. I told her van stuff and I think I actually heard her eyes roll... No matter, I'm locked in and following closely.
Wanna bet she does the same looking at shoe sites?

MG that's a Delphi connector, correct? I buy those from Mouser too---love a site that will sell any number of small bits like they do!

Love your simplification of the wiring and plumbing---Ford engineers should take notes.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA

...MG that's a Delphi connector, correct? ...
Those particular connectors are from TE Connectivity.

Delphi, AMP/TYCO/TE and Molex automotive connectors are pretty easy to track down if you know the blade dimensions (automotive blade connectors are typically 0.64, 1.5, 2.8, 4.8 or 6.3mm in width). The difficult ones to find are the Yazaki connectors. If you want thousands of parts, it's not much of a problem but if you're looking for a handful of terminals, good luck.

The next wiring components I need to track down are the fuse panel terminals. They are some odd lookin' little guys. Elusive as hell too. It's like Ford doesn't want anyone to find them.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:27 AM   #103
JWA

You're probably already aware some of those terminals might be proprietary to whatever vendor made the fuse block or other harness. In that case 10K + aren't tough, the 100 or less almost impossible to source.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:17 PM   #104

A little more wiring progress this weekend... I started off by depopulating my spare Battery Junction Box. Kind of a pain until you get the technique down for releasing the terminals. It goes much better if you don't try to muscle them out of their places. With a blank box, I then went one by one through the wiring diagram and populated the circuits I'll need for starting the engine. In total it has been a few hours of work but time well spent in my opinion.

There are only a few more circuits to add in here from the Ford side of the equation (for my test stand setup anyways). On the Chrysler/Cummins side of things, there's still a bit of work to do to trace each circuit through the diagrams to double check I have things marked right. The Ford diagram and Ram truck diagrams are laid out so much differently (and one is online vs. in print) so that's been a little time consuming going back and forth.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:34 PM   #105
Site Team

Garage

Got to love the project. Sure would like to do the same but probably too costly. I'd like to see it turn into a profitable venture on your part.
Attached Thumbnails
CanIHaveA6.0man.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #106

Finished up a custom adapter for the oil pressure sensors... The Cummins has a pretty convenient location for its own sensor so the idea was to just make an adapter that had a spot for the original and the sensor for the Ford dash. Probably didn't need all of the fancy rotary table machining but what the heck...I like making chips from time to time.

On the left is the original housing for the Cummins sensor. On the right my custom twin sensor part.

Here's how it sits on the block (driver's side, just next to the ECM. Without the fuel filter housing in the way, this is actually wide open accessible if it's ever necessary)

Though you can't see it, the inside of the adapter has been machined for clearance around the banjo bolt so the oil can get up to the sensors without obstruction.

On another note... I hooked up my CAN sniffer to the ECM and captured some data on all of the buses. The first thing of interest is that there are FOUR buses on this ECM. One is of course the link between the RAM truck and its modules and the others are more engine related. Of particular interest is that two buses broadcast A LOT of engine related data (temperatures, pressures, speeds, etc...) and could be used for all sorts of things. A lot of the message "IDs" follow known standards too so figuring out what they mean is just a matter of looking them up. The CAN-C/RAM specific bus will still need to be used for a couple of things, like the exhaust brake feature so I'll have to get my hands on a '13 RAM truck sometime to do a little detective work.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:11 PM   #107

Awesome progress today. I've got the engine and fuse panel wiring all sorted out and documented. Every wire has a place in the big connector I showed previously and the fuse panel has more than enough open positions for the relays and fuses.

From right to left, the big black bundle is the ground cable, then there's a bundle of relay related wires, then all of the fused B+ wires, a larger bundle of sensor/actuator wiring and then the bundle for the APPS sensor (accelerator pedal position sensor). In all reality, the wiring is pretty simple now that all of the RAM truck BS is removed. I still have to find a harness for the Allison, tie in a few wires for that then re-wrap everything but I'd say that I'm way over the hump on this part of the swap.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #108

About time for another update huh?

I'm testing out a lot of theories with this Cummins swap and one of them is that I think I've found a way to remove the Advancetrac/RSC from my van without affecting the remaining modules in the vehicle. It involves some new parts and some module programming trickery but logic tells me it will work. You never know until you try, right?

I found a VIN# for a bare-bones 5.4L van with no RSC and then tracked down the main wiring harness for this van. As an exciting surprise, the harness came populated with fuses and relays...which is nice considering that they're hard to find and they're expensive. The harness didn't cost as much as I thought it would...under $400. Brand new, direct from Ford.

As another pleasant surprise, the APPS (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor) wiring uses the same connector as the Chrysler APPS assembly so the wiring is already integrated into the harness...probably saving me hours of wire routing.

I'll partially strip this harness so I can route the wiring I need for the Cummins and get rid of stuff I don't need from the Ford PCM. Then the idea is that I'll have a plug'n'play harness ready for the van once the engine goes in.

I need to round up a new ABS module (both the hydraulic part and the electronic part) and somehow get my hands on the Ford module programming tool. I'd like to borrow or rent one for a day before I go drop some coin on my own but I'm sure that is a long shot...
Old 06-13-2014, 04:24 AM   #109
JWA

That's an amazingly "cheap" price for a factory complete wiring harness. Nice find and/or detective work rounding it up!

I once found and stripped out completely the rear wiring harness from an E-Series. from the A-Pillar all the way back to the right side stop/turn/reverse lights. I can't think what that would have cost at the dealer, not sure what I'll eventually do with it be too good a price to just get recycled---$29 and tax!

This project is coming together nicely--great news about the potential ease of integration of the ECM's.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
That's an amazingly "cheap" price for a factory complete wiring harness. Nice find and/or detective work rounding it up!....
I know, right!? I was expecting to have to pay dearly for this thing but when I saw that the list price was only $500 and change on the Ford website, I knew I could find it wholesale (or darn close) with a little snooping around. The hardest part is just finding the right part number.

The body harness is about the same price. I don't think I'll need to mess with that harness to get this engine to work though...and I have an extra already anyway.