Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2014, 09:47 PM   #121

Re: 6.7L Cummins conversion project

That trailer would look much better I orange and black with Go Beavs on it.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
mgmetalworks: You're the Man! Thanks for your input. This forum is blessed to have you.
Agreed.

Just how big is that tank (how many gallons)?
55 gallons... though dimensionally it works out to over 60. There is a lot of baffling and stuff inside so the usable volume is probably as advertised. We shall see.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #123

What are you guys doing raiding my website for pictures?

That is a customer's trailer and it is getting ready for its 5th season of Duck Football. It's been to AZ and SoCal for bowl games, been to every home game over the last 4 seasons and it was even nearly totaled in an accident. Fun project...designed and fabricated over a 5 month period (by an OSU grad...for a UofO super fan). I have an even better design for a Beaver trailer but so far only the Duck fan has stepped up with the checks. Haha!
Old 07-09-2014, 05:47 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks
I've been rounding up the parts for my new fuel system which includes one of these....

Yep, a 55 gallon aft of axle tank out of an E-450. When I finally have everything in hand I'll probably be in it a little over a grand for the whole change over. This tank came with the straps and I'm trying to figure out a way to hack the cross members out of a cut-away van at the local Pick 'n' Pull without expending much effort to get the rest of the mounting hardware... It does look like one of the cross members in my current frame can be re-purposed without much trouble. I am capable of making parts to fit too if I can't get the factory cross members.

For those who are curious, the tank is ~37" long, a shade under 32" wide and (with fuel lines and filler neck and straps included) ~15-16" tall. Looking at how it will mount under the body, I think it will hang down at the same level if not slightly less than my spare tire does now. I'm not that concerned about it hanging down though... it is super stout and I'll probably build a skid plate for it to take the initial punishment.

The spare tire cross member will have to come out, one other cross member has to move and then I need to add in two other members for mounting. Not too bad but I'm planning on doing this when the body is off the frame for the Cummins swap to make it even easier. The filler neck looks to come out in just the wrong spot and will have to snake around the factory rear A/C stuff somehow but that's all part of the fun. The front fuel door will become the filler location for the Diesel Exhaust Fluid tank and a new rear fuel door to fill the big tank. I could conceivably leave the factory tank in for massive amounts of fuel but I'm taking it out so I can have room for the DEF tank and other accessories that I might have put in the back.
See if you can find an E Series chassis with a school bus designation. There are more parts and robust protection provided. Might help you find tank mounting parts.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.whitbread
See if you can find an E Series chassis with a school bus designation. There are more parts and robust protection provided. Might help you find tank mounting parts.
I actually got all of the straps and guards with this tank, it just isn't pictured (tank came from a E450 bus application). There's also a van with the factory cross members sitting at a Pick 'n' Pull about 5 miles from my house but I haven't had time to go cut them out.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #126

I knew this would eventually happen and I'm quite happy about it since it means that future swap projects may get much much easier. One of the major diesel tuners recently released an ECM unlock procedure when you buy one of their tuners. It is fairly priced and brings the 2013-2014 Cummins up to a max of 466hp/1036lbft (in their RAM 2500 test truck) and retains all of the EGR/DPF/DEF/SCR emissions equipment.

The biggest potential benefit of this is that it makes things more plug-n-play instead of having to break into electronic modules to do some hacking magic.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #127

Been working on getting the Allison ready... To simplify the wiring, I added two sealed connectors to the engine and trans harnesses to make things come apart for servicing a little easier. It's tedious work but rewarding when things start coming together. I'd really really love to wrap these harnesses and call it done but I'm certain there will be things to add in later so they'll probably stay naked until the final assembly.

I'm not afraid to admit it but one of the main reasons it is taking so long is that this project is suffering from a little bit of "scope creep" (I know, understatement). I really should change the title to "Completely reconfiguring an E-series from top to bottom...and putting a Cummins/Allison drivetrain in at the same time". There's a lot going on that make sense to do at the same time as the engine swap but are themselves fairly involved to prepare for so I'm really taking my time to make sure it all lines up and comes together into a working package (as opposed to a completely useless basket case).

I've mentioned before that I plan to eliminate the Advancetrac/RSC...which so far is looking very promising (with the exception of having to buy the diagnostic/module programming tool and software subscription...In related news, I will soon be offering diagnostic and module programming services, specializing in the E-series of course... ). I'm also converting to a hydro-boost brake system...not very hard in and of itself but because I'm changing the ABS stuff and the whole drivetrain that wasn't exactly intended for this vehicle, making sure you get the right combination of parts takes some research. Then there's adding in the new massive fuel tank and all new lines and another enormous project that will stay under wraps for a little while longer. It's all happening...just slowly.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #128

You know I think I saw someone post something recently about a $200k Sprinter..... Anyway, a Cummins plus an Allison in a 4x4 E350 is waaaaay more worth it in my opinion. Keep it coming!
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:05 AM   #129
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

I think most of us here can totally identify with that "scope creep" feeling---its epidemic I think?

I'm guilty of it---who else admits it too?

The knowledge you're gaining could possibly be lucrative but perhaps just as important is the intangible feeling of satisfaction when its all complete up and running.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH
You know I think I saw someone post something recently about a $200k Sprinter..... Anyway, a Cummins plus an Allison in a 4x4 E350 is waaaaay more worth it in my opinion. Keep it coming!
I think so too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
I think most of us here can totally identify with that "scope creep" feeling---its epidemic I think?

I'm guilty of it---who else admits it too?

The knowledge you're gaining could possibly be lucrative but perhaps just as important is the intangible feeling of satisfaction when its all complete up and running.
I will also get a small amount of satisfaction from seeing the look on the doubters faces when it is rolling down the road.