Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2015, 05:03 PM   #251

Now that you're this far in, and are making such amazing progress on integrating the electronics.... Do you think you'd attempt a build on a non-CAN-BUS build on an older van? Would that make thing easier or more complicated?

And now that you have a steering column apart, would swapping in an F-series steering wheel be realistic? Those fit the look of the newer dash style better IMO, not to mention having more controls on the wheel, and HEAT!

Old 12-19-2015, 06:21 PM   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Now that you're this far in, and are making such amazing progress on integrating the electronics.... Do you think you'd attempt a build on a non-CAN-BUS build on an older van? Would that make thing easier or more complicated?

And now that you have a steering column apart, would swapping in an F-series steering wheel be realistic? Those fit the look of the newer dash style better IMO, not to mention having more controls on the wheel, and HEAT!
A non-CAN bus van would be easier in some ways...for instance you don't have to worry about spoofing the van's modules into behaving like the PCM is still present. The older vans are simple from a wiring perspective. I imagine integration of the harnesses would be straight forward. You'd still need to set up a CAN network for the exhaust brake, A/C controls and cruise control though (programmable devices for this kind of thing already exist). Earlier models of Cummins common rail engines may be even easier. The more challenging aspect of older vans is the front sheetmetal. You've got a lot more room to play with when you have the '08+ front end on the van.

Ah the F-series leather wrapped, heated, buttons-everywhere steering wheel... The one item from an F-series I want so badly to adapt but I just can't justify the effort. First, the van has a splined steering shaft, the truck a hexagonal shaft so an adapter of some sort would have to be machined. Second, though I haven't seen them side by side, the clock springs look to be quite a bit different between the truck and the van. The van has enough pins on the clock spring to make most buttons on a truck wheel functional so it isn't the biggest road block of them all...but it isn't perfect either. Third, the column plastics are different shapes so the truck wheel would look a little bigger than the van column. Some wouldn't notice but I think it would look odd enough that it would bug me. I'm sure it could be done and some day I may make an attempt at it but right now it isn't worth the effort (distraction) for me.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #253

Wow! Long time no update!

I finally got all the little details ironed out to go from this...

to this....

So now I can start mounting stuff up for real in my mock-up frame and get going on fuel lines, wiring, etc... I've had a couple projects race to the front of the line ahead of the Cummins but I'm still FULLY committed to this. When I can I try to get these little projects out of the way so I'm not too overloaded when I decide to tear down the van for the big swap.

On the electronics side of things... I joined a group at work where we take a couple hours per week to geek out with Arduino-based projects. This is a real nerd herd and in the few weeks I've been involved, I've learned a lot about getting these little microcontrollers to do my bidding. Last week I started on the programming for the A/C and cruise control functionality for this Cummins swap. It helps to have a couple uber-nerds in the group to explain how get things done if you get stuck.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:47 PM   #254

Good to see that you're still at it! I know how hard it can be to get to the projects on one's list. I've been barely keeping up with my SMB maintenance lately. I can't imagine taking on a project as ginormous as this.
As it has been said many times on this thread, THANKS for taking the time to share it with us

Cheers,
John
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:53 AM   #255

Subscribing. Havent seen any content of a cummins swap on the newer vans. Didnt think it was possible.. Thinking about saving more to join the party rather than bullet proofing.

Would this work on an 04 RB?
Also are there any parts from the 6.0 that get used or does everything get swapped?
Old 03-06-2016, 09:31 AM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixCardCharlie View Post
Subscribing. Havent seen any content of a cummins swap on the newer vans. Didnt think it was possible.. Thinking about saving more to join the party rather than bullet proofing.

Would this work on an 04 RB?
Also are there any parts from the 6.0 that get used or does everything get swapped?
The older body style would be a much tighter fit. Personally, I'd rather have the updated front end than the hassles of stuffing all of the same engine transplant parts in a smaller space. It can be done...it has been done...but, in my opinion, you get better engine placement and much more servicability when you have the extra inches of the late model fenders/grill.

If you already have a 6.0, you can keep the fuel tank but the fuel pump will have to change. The radiator might work, same with the intercooler. I'm choosing to do some custom work on the core support to fit in a Cummins radiator and intercooler though (because of where the fan ends up in relation to the radiator/fan shroud).

Wiring harness will have extensive mods, heater hoses routing can be maintained, A/C lines can be adapted, exhaust can run in the same location as stock (with new down pipe or completely custom exhaust like I'm building).

Many will say that you can reuse the Ford trans but I think it is an expensive and headache prone endeavor. An aftermarket controller is needed and some skill in setting it up/tuning. For most people, getting a trans programmed correctly isn't trivial. If you have a really good tuner nearby that's one thing but if you know no one who can help, what do you do? The easiest and cheapest swap is to use the Ram truck trans. Manuals are an option too and let's not forget the Allison (fill your van full of cash first though, building an Allison consumes a lot of $$$).
Old 03-06-2016, 10:02 AM   #257

Doing a front clip update would be the easy part though since its all pretty much bolt-on body panels.

I had the Aisin 6-speed in my two '08 trucks. Turns out TCM programming is super simple due to the very basic valve body. No funny swap shifting or modulated shifts like the TorqueShift. It feels less civilized than the TorqueShift as a result, however the simplicity is appealing. Chrysler made a mistake in not including any sort of boost control in the PCM so it was easy to trash the transmission whenever the turbo vanes stuck, but some aftermarket tuning could address that weakness. Also the SCR version of the 6.7 don't have as many turbo problems.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:24 PM   #258

I have just finished installing a 12valve Cummins and Ford 5R110 auto trans (with Ford computer) in my 1996 E-Super Duty bus. With an intercooler it is a pretty snug fit but is still easier to work on than the 6.0 Diesel Ford vans.

I am wanting to replace my shift lever with the newer style truck model much like yours. Did the adapter you built look something like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Adapter1.jpg  
dbshelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbshelton View Post
I have just finished installing a 12valve Cummins and Ford 5R110 auto trans (with Ford computer) in my 1996 E-Super Duty bus. With an intercooler it is a pretty snug fit but is still easier to work on than the 6.0 Diesel Ford vans.

I am wanting to replace my shift lever with the newer style truck model much like yours. Did the adapter you built look something like this?
I never would have thought there would be an adapter like that. It looks similar to what I had to do to the end of the truck shifter lever to make it fit the van column. Might be worth a shot if it is cheap. Then again, it wasn't that difficult to make things work with the extra parts I had around.

The only thing I'd be worried about with that adapter is that it looks like it is straight...I had to weld things together at an angle to make it look right.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:33 PM   #260

Yes, for the van it's going to have to be angled towards the driver to keep from hitting the dash. This is actually a part of BD Diesel's Tap Shift setup for a 6.0 F-series truck so it has a lot more room. Any way, it's probably not available separately. I was just trying to get a feel for the general idea. Thanks, I really like your project.
dbshelton is offline   Reply With Quote