Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #31
Site Team

Garage
Re: 6.7L Cummins conversion project

Is there a reason why nobody uses high temp silicone tape?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I've used it on a few things and it works well. Costs a bit more than the other stuff though.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I do! I love that stuff, and use it for all wiring projects where either heat or moisture problems are anticipated.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:36 AM   #34
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

I have a roll of it laying around somewhere----still in the original wrapper in fact.

In the right application I'd not be the least bit shy using it. While cost isn't usually an issue for me its not a substitute for the typical vinyl electrical tape.

Honestly though since I've begun using Weather-Pak and Metri-Pak connectors I rarely worry about my made connections being weather resistant.

Good stuff though---3M is the best!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #35

JWA....since you seem to be a wiring geek like me, you might like this:

Another Ebay score! A radial crimp tool in like new condition. Used for the barrel type terminals in Deutsch connectors and those mil-spec Amphenol connectors. Got it for a fraction of what they go for new.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:53 AM   #36
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks
JWA....since you seem to be a wiring geek like me, you might like this:
Wow---what a nice kit! It seems to be the upper level of such things---can I ask what it cost? Care to share the model number or kit number? Great score at any rate---I'm jealous!

Yeah I am into the wiring aspect---reasons unknown but I really do enjoy it. Probably like yourself I almost feel guilty using butt splices these days!

I've looked into the Deutsch stuff and I'd love to delve into it too. I'm almost to the point of being 100% competent with the Delphi/Packard system, pretty well tooled and stocked up on it by now.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #37

The tool is:

http://www.dmctools.com/store/catalog.a ... _ID%3D5422

A link to a new one on Ebay for a reasonable price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DANIELS-DMC ... 5531895%26

I got mine for just under 300. Most of what I've seen are well used units for ~$300 on ebay.

Honestly this tool is a bit overkill for DIY'ers. I only bought it because I'm going to be doing more than one project like this...hopefully a lot more
Old 12-23-2013, 03:31 AM   #38
JWA

You might be right about the Daniels tools being a bit over kill, even for me!

I'm using S&G Tool Aid ratcheting crimpers with interchangeable die sets. Along with several optional dies I've purchased I can set just about any terminal of the F-style. Can also do fully insulated and non-insulated terminals too. Bought a decent tool plus extractors for the Delphi/Weather-Pack types too----those work perfectly for the Ford Wedgelock terminals and shells.

Thanks for the links----very nice tools!
Old 12-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #39

More progress... not necessarily on the van but on something I'll be using extensively for the Cummins project.

I got my 2-post lift installed over the weekend. It was quite a chore to do (mostly) by myself. I had a friend come over to help stand up the posts but other than that, I did everything else solo. (and I'm sore as hell because of it too!!! haha!)

Why did I install myself instead of paying for installation? Few reasons... first, I didn't want to spend the money for something that I can do myself. Second, I wasn't impressed with the installation companies I talked to. Third, there were little issues here and there with some of the lift parts. One was actually a pretty significant issue but the manufacturer replaced the part and threw in some accessories for my trouble. The rest were things like sharp edges that needed to be smoothed out, slightly misaligned holes and a hydraulic fitting with some debris in it.

I noticed these little things and I spent the time to correct them. I don't feel like an installer would have caught most of them or done anything about it if they had noticed. It might have been functional if I hadn't done anything but it just would not have been right...and probably would have cause problems down the road.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #40

More CAN bus fun!

Since my end goal is to do away with the Ford PCM altogether, I have a lot of work to do to figure out how to reproduce the CAN packets that the PCM sends to various modules. One of the most important things to figure out is how vehicle speed is transmitted over the bus because several modules use that particular packet. Online I found a technical paper about hacking a Ford CAN bus and it gave some clues as to which identifier speed and RPM use as well as some conversion equations to get from hexadecimal format to something understandable.

The easiest way to test out the theory is to broadcast a packet on the bus and see what happens... And what do you know??? I have an extra instrument panel cluster, a power supply and a homemade harness for just such an occasion.

From the tech paper online:
"The data format is:
[AA BB 00 00 CC DD 00 00]

Where AABB - is the rpm displayed and CCDD is the speed.

To get from the bytes in the CAN packet to the actual speed, the following formulas can be used:
Speed (mph) = 0.0065 * (CC DD) - 67
RPM = .25 * (AA BB) - 24"

So, according to this, if I plug in some numbers and send the packet with the right identifier to the IPC, the RPM and speed will display on the gauges.

Using their example, I plugged in [23 45 00 00 34 56 00 00] and here is what happened...

It works!!! I was able to change the values and manipulate the two gauges no problem. One identifier down, 100+ to go! haha!

That isn't much of a breakthrough but at least I was able to narrow down 4 other packet identifiers originating from the IPC.