Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #41

Re: 6.7L Cummins conversion project

My trans showed up on Friday. Lots to do before it's ready to go but at least it is finally here! I'll be swapping out the tail housing and output shaft for the 4x4 parts and installing a shift kit and new torque converter (one that is better suited to the Cummins than the one that is in there).

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:20 AM   #42

Parts are ordered for the 4x4 conversion of the Allison. While I was at it, I also ordered a deep pan for more fluid capacity. I found a smokin' deal on a NV271 transfer case as well. There's a bit of work to do to mate the t-case and the Allison and I didn't want to wait until my van was apart to figure it all out. I'll probably rebuild this new-to-me t-case, machine the housing for the speed sensor that no longer has a home in the 4x4 tailshaft housing and use the t-case that's in my van now for another project. I have to tear down the t-case anyways to put in the correct spline input shaft for mating to the Allison so starting with a rebuilder is probably the best way to do it.

Pretty close to having everything rounded up parts-wise. Probably about 95% there now.

Man I LOVE this stuff!!!
Old 01-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #43

You're an animal! I check the forum pretty much every day to see where you're at with this. Cant wait to see the finished product, keep it up!
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH
You're an animal! I check the forum pretty much every day to see where you're at with this. Cant wait to see the finished product, keep it up!
Thanks for following along! Since you're local-ish, we'll have to arrange a meet-up so you can see everything up close.

School started up again for me this week... I'll be swamped this term but I'm still going to push hard on this project even if it means no sleep.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH
Yep, I agree. If you make this work you could become the Ford Van Cummins Swap Guy!, similar to what Ujoint and BajaSportsmobile are in the SMB suspension world!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Yep, I agree. If you make this work you could become the Ford Van Cummins Swap Guy!, similar to what Ujoint and BajaSportsmobile are in the SMB suspension world!

Dang it!!!! You've caught on to my plan!!

I'll for sure be doing more of these. I don't have any firm commits yet but there is some buzz being generated. Who knows, maybe I'll just build another van right after this one for resale...
Old 01-06-2014, 05:32 PM   #47

Love to meet up and see it sometime for sure. If my 6.0 dies (insert joke here) then I may hit you up! Right now it runs like a champ and only has 50K miles on it. Either way, I want to see and hear yours running when you get it done. Keep rockin it!
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #48

I know I bounce around with the updates quite a bit but I can't help it. I have an active mind and when inspiration strikes, I just have to go with the flow.

I had a few minutes to myself this morning so I opened up a couple of the spreadsheets of CAN data I've collected from my van and I started to do some digging. Using a handy online hexadecimal converter, I converted my VIN # and searched for the result. Sure enough, I found the pattern!!! I discovered that PID 4FF broadcasts the VIN over the bus in three chunks. (It also broadcasts another packet that is split into two chunks but I haven't figured out what that is yet.)

As an example of what this all looks like, here is a cargo van VIN I found online:
1FBNE3BLXDDA10151

Here is what that VIN looks like in hexadecimal format:
31 46 42 4e 45 33 42 4c 58 44 44 41 31 30 31 35 31

In the stream of CAN data, this is what the VIN looks like to our van's network of modules:
4FF 30 31 46 42 4e 45 0
4FF 31 33 42 4c 58 44 44
4FF 32 41 31 30 31 35 31

So what does this mean exactly? Well, for one it means that I've crossed the line from casual geek to full-on nerd because I got pretty excited when I figured this out...I may have let out an "F yeah!"...possibly a snort as well...definitely had to push my glasses back up on my face. Second, deciphering all of these PIDs will allow me to do things (like remove the PCM after the swap or spoof other modules) with a simple microcontroller. I have an Arduino on the way with the parts for connecting to the CAN bus. I can program this little microcontroller to broadcast CAN packets... or maybe even convert a CAN packet from one manufacturer's format to another format.

Is this interesting to you guys? Do you want to see more of the CAN PID deciphering or is it a little too geeky? I love to write so I don't mind sharing my experiences with this stuff but if you'd rather see transfer case rebuilds and transmission adapters and fabrication of motor mounts, I'll stick to just that. I don't want to bore people to death with hex conversions and bus traffic. Haha!
Old 01-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #49

It's all good! I may not understand every detail, but I enjoy your process and the level of detail needed to solve this puzzle.

Keep up the good work!

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #50

You betcha, I have been looking to expand my carputer into reading additional PID's, so I find this all pretty interesting. In fact your not that far a way from me so, it would be great to check out your shop sometime.

Greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote