Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2017, 09:30 AM   #511

MG, does this mean you put the body on prior to installing the wiring harness?

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:30 AM   #512

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
MG, does this mean you put the body on prior to installing the wiring harness?
Yes, the body has been bolted down for a few weeks. However...to eliminate any confusion, there are several harnesses in the van and the one I just installed is the harness that spans the engine compartment. It also passes through to the interior but all of the connections are right there at the Smart Junction Box.

The dash harness, frame harness, rear interior harness and door harnesses were all inside the van body (and along the frame rail) already. The front end (headlight) harness goes in last.

I only had to make significant changes to the Battery Junction Box harness. the rest of the wiring I can add in separate from the van's existing harnesses.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #513

Here's a shot of the engine bay just before the radiator goes in...

It's going together really well but here and there I have some clearance issues to sort out, hoses and wires to move...little things. I'm going to pressure test the radiator (since I've done so much cutting and welding on it) before that goes in but really that's the last difficult thing to fit in there and get tightened down. Then it's power up time!
Old 03-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #514

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Here's a shot of the engine bay just before the radiator goes in...

It's going together really well but here and there I have some clearance issues to sort out, hoses and wires to move...little things. I'm going to pressure test the radiator (since I've done so much cutting and welding on it) before that goes in but really that's the last difficult thing to fit in there and get tightened down. Then it's power up time!
G'day, Looking forward to radiator pictures and then the sweet sound of that massive Cummins 6.7 litre Straight 6 purrrrrrrrrrrring! Love my 012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4 Laramie Crew Pickup, when it fires up, powerful, but so smooth and purs quietly compared to Ford 6.0 or 7.3. Takeoff is quite amazing and can be thrifty on fuel too!
Cheers Doug.
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:48 PM   #515

So... the engine started up last night. By no means am I close to being finished but she's alive!!!

Video in the near future.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:56 PM   #516

Garage
Can't wait for the video. Love me some Cummins!
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:02 PM   #517

Would some sort of mad scientist laugh be fitting right after "she's alive"? Cant wait to see, and better yet hear, that sucker fire up.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:46 PM   #518

Exciting times ....
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:34 AM   #519

YeeeHaaa! Congrats, Man! I bet that felt good after all of your hard work. Epic feat considering so much of this is uncharted territory!
VOODOO7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:07 PM   #520

"Where's the video you promised MG? You said there would be a video of the Cummins running..."

Well... if the universe wasn't fighting me at every step, I'd get a video posted.

-First it was a power steering fluid leak. The pump return inlet fitting was cracked.
-Fixed it, no more leak.
-Oh wait, what is that? Power steering fluid!? WTF!
-Fitting on steering box now leaking. Wasn't loose, but wasn't tight either.
-O-ring breaks when fitting torqued... Awesome.
-Disassemble, make huge oily mess, reassemble with new O-ring.
-Leak is now classified as a seep... ugh...
-New substance dripping down on my hand as I fix steering leak. Smells like diesel.
-Yep... fuel. But where?
-Inlet fitting...check
-High pressure fitting...check
-Fuel control actuator...check
-Oh there it is... seepage between the two-piece housing of the CP3 (high pressure pump...common problem after a bit of internet sleuthing).
-Decision point... remove the front end of the van to get pump out and go through the seals now or run the engine a bit, re-torque the housing and see if the seal re-hydrates itself...engine only has 12 miles on it after all. Could the o-ring really be all dried out??? ugh^2

This project is making me earn every last triumph. It does runs great despite the little things keeping me from moving forward. It is kind of funny that the most complicated things have been the smoothest and stuff like a power steering fitting take so much effort to get fixed.