Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2017, 08:21 PM   #541

That Allison was a used unit, right?

Good luck getting things sorted!

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:10 PM   #542

Dang, sorry to see that.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:23 AM   #543

The Allison trans is back in, no codes, shifts through the gears now. A little engine and trans tuning aside, this is gonna be really fun to drive! I can already tell that the Cummins has more torque than I could ever need and the Allison is nicely matched to it.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:43 AM   #544

Nice! I can't imagine the sense of accomplishment you're going to have when you get to head out on your first trip in that thing.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #545

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
The Allison trans is back in, no codes, shifts through the gears now. A little engine and trans tuning aside, this is gonna be really fun to drive! I can already tell that the Cummins has more torque than I could ever need and the Allison is nicely matched to it.

G'day.

I have had 02 7.3 F250 Ford Supercab/Great vehicle, 011 Chev 6.7 DEF Crew/Even better engine, but my 012 Ram Laramie Crew with 6.7 Cummins & Allison/is Amazing, Powerfuel, Efficient, Quit.

I would love to see Ford bring back a new revised updated Ford E Series Van with new efficient 5.0 V8 32valve Cummins & Allison. Very Qiet, Powerful Engine, the one in the Nissan Pickup. Would sell Millions!

Cheers Doug
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:53 PM   #546

MG,
I just finished reading this thread front to back for the fourth time and every time I'm left in awe.

I was planning on using the same adapters you purchased to swap an Allison into my truck, but there is no comparison to what you had machined. Undoubtedly changed my mind.

Normally I'd guess you were using manual transmission programming for the Cummins. After studying your build I expect it's programmed as an auto since you don't shy away from the challenge. Speaking of a challenge, everything I've read says the Cummins and Allison will not communicate. Any insight on how you made this possible?

Thanks for the thread on your build!! It's hugely informative and inspiring to say the least!!
Black93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:41 PM   #547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black93GT View Post
MG,
I just finished reading this thread front to back for the fourth time and every time I'm left in awe.

I was planning on using the same adapters you purchased to swap an Allison into my truck, but there is no comparison to what you had machined. Undoubtedly changed my mind.

Normally I'd guess you were using manual transmission programming for the Cummins. After studying your build I expect it's programmed as an auto since you don't shy away from the challenge. Speaking of a challenge, everything I've read says the Cummins and Allison will not communicate. Any insight on how you made this possible?

Thanks for the thread on your build!! It's hugely informative and inspiring to say the least!!
Thanks for reading the whole saga! Four times!!!!

I have extras of most of the adapter parts but I'd have to have another billet ring machined if you want to go that route. Just send me an email through the website expovans.com and I'll get you some info.

I don't see why more people don't use the SAE#3 bellhousing and leave the stock starter in place. Moving the starter over to the other side puts it right under the turbo, inaccessible and hot as all get out. Whatevs... there's a whole industry built around doing it that way. They must know something I don't. I know for a van, you don't want the long GM style bellhousing.

I'm using the programming for a manual trans Cummins. Sorry to disappoint haha! It has been done before with the auto trans programming, just not in my rig. Jason over at trasmissiontuner.com did a '15 Ram with Allison conversion and they ended up using the auto trans calibration because of some functionality in the truck needed it.

There's a lot of Cummins swap information on the internet that is not true. There is a lot of speculation about how things work as well. "Experts" on forums can claim that things are as they are but have they actually done a swap like this? Are they just making assumptions? I have had countless "experts" tell me that a '13+ Cummins won't run without a TIPM, SKIM, BCM, etc, ect... Guess what??? It does run. Runs really strong actually. I've had owners of Allison conversion companies tell me that a (Chrysler based) Cummins ECM and Allison TCM won't talk to each other at all. Guess what??? They do communicate with each other using a common industry standard protocol.

To successfully pull off a swap like this you can't just read forums. Too much misinformation. You can't always believe "experts" either because some of them have proprietary stuff they want to sell you when you don't need anything special at all. You just need to peel the onion back layer by layer until you get down to the fundamentals. One of the best things I learned pretty early on was that most of the Chrysler stuff in the system is there to keep the engine from running. None of it *needs* to be there for the engine. The Cummins is happy to be simplified.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #548

The tuners I talked with said the two can't communicate. I want to peel the onion back as well. I've been trying to dig up as much CAN info as possible but just need to dive in headfirst.

Believe me, using the manual programming is not a disappointment. I'm all for simplification. I spoke with Jason and he mentioned the manual program sometimes has fueling issues. With that, I was going to use the manual calibration first, then if I ran into issues build a black box to simulate the 48re.

I'd much rather use the SAE bell as well. I truly don't like the idea of moving the starter to the opposite side. I would guess using the ford starter just works better for the powerstroke guys. *shrug*. I'll send you an email.
Black93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:42 PM   #549

I'm done with photobucket... which unfortunately means that most of my pictures aren't going to work in this thread until I update links. Same goes for the other threads I've started. I'll try to get things updated over the holiday weekend.

Happy 4th everyone! Be safe!
Old 06-30-2017, 05:09 PM   #550

I hate Photobucket. It became pretty much unusable for me a couple years ago. Unfortunately I have a ton of stuff there too.

I recently switched to Flickr. So far so good, but I haven't actually posted anything from there yet.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote