Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2015, 07:58 AM   #51

Re: 7.3 and Hills

Yup, I've been using the stock map on the DP tuner. I'm going to keep the tunes for cooler weather and flatter driving. I may mess around with water injection over the Winter, but only because it seems really hard to find a good implementation of an intercooler on these vans.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:40 PM   #52

Hey Guys - I'm replying late on this thread, but thought I'd share my experience with DP, exhaust, trans temp and EGT's. Under the advice of a good friend/mechanic, I went with a 3.5" downpipe off the turbo to a 4" exhaust; the exhaust pipes are wrapped through the first couple of feet of the 4" pipe and also wrapped the inlet pipes. I then added the MagHytec trans pan which holds ~26 quarts of tranny fluid. I have yet to add the larger tranny oil cooler, but so far, trans temps have been much easier to control with this set-up. I did the Maghytec diff cover too.

The EGT's, black smoke and power are a different story with the DP tuner. I sent it back twice to get my tunes tweaked. The tweaks included changing the shift points (hold the gear a little longer) and making the shifts a little smoother. They also adjusted the fuel 'tip-in' amounts to reduce the black smoke and improve mileage. The second send-back to reduce the tip-in (and some other engine mapping) really helped to get the EGT's down when climbing long hills in the heat. But I still have to back off once it gets to 1200 by taking it out of OD and rolling at ~60mph. When I do that the EGT drops right down to 1050 every time. It's worth noting I've got an Quigley EB50 with 3.55's and 295/75-16 Toyo AT's. I also tow a horse trailer quite a bit and have not had any trouble pulling it up hills (but I never go fast towing our horse!). I think the DP tunes are really designed for trucks, so you need to work with them to get the van settings right (at least in my case).

On the DP tuner, I use the 60hp tow mode, and 80hp driver mode. I have the 100hp performance tune with high tip-in, and high elevation versions of the first two tunes (plus a stock tune). I tend to use the 60hp mode quite a bit even without the trailer as the black smoke seems the least in that setting. I only use the 100hp mode for tailgaters.

Hope some of that info is helpful to someone. Cheers!
MtnVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:45 AM   #53
Site Team

Garage

Yes I should get back in contact with Justin to see what he could do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry
I hate to say this but after having issues during the first part of the trip I pulled the dp tune and I went up in mileage and averaged almost 17! For the rest of the trip in stock tune. The throttle was slower but the climbs never hit 1200 and I just drove it like a rental

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:59 AM   #54

FWIW, I believe MtnVan is correct. The tuning is different for our vans than the comparable F-Series 7.3L PSD's. (The van turbo is larger, vans don't have an intercooler, as well as other differences which I have forgotten). I will see if I can dig it up, but when I was investigating single shot injectors and tuning for them (I never did do that) I think it was Tony Wildman who responded to my inquiry and said that he wouldn't tune a van, because he did not buy the original Ford tuning specs for the 7.3L E-Series and van 7.3L PSD's are different and without knowing your starting point, you can't really vary the tune safely for performance. So when considering tuning, maybe it would be good to ask your tuner if he or she purchased the original Ford tuning specs for the 7.3L PSD E-Series? Just sayin'.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #55
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Just got off the phone with Justin at DP, tells me Jody has been working on the van tunes with help from Chris (Ujoint) and has updated them recently, so if you haven't gotten an update lately its probably worth a call, free updates for anyone who has purchased from them, and if you've got the F6 chip, they can email them to you. Also, going through my issues with Justin, a common issue that arrises is increased EGT's, this is in part due to the nature of the tune, but a lot of it has to do with any leaks in your exhaust system like leaking turbo up pipes, I just replaced my second set of OEM pipes with the international kit, very nice upgrade, we'll see how they hold up but just by installing those I noticed an increase in throttle response and will hopefully take care of those higher EGT's. Also, any leaks will drop your boost, which I was also experiencing. So before you start pulling your tuners and throwing in the towel, check for any leaks, do a boost test and get the updated tunes, especially if its been a few years since you purchased the tuner. Another issue I am experiencing is that my "no start" feature, usually position 0 on the tuner, is not working, in other words, my van still starts when the tuner is locked in the "no start" position, Justin said he's only heard of that happening a few other times, hopefully the reflash with solve this. Happy Thanksgiving Y'all.......
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #56
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Just got off the phone with Jody, says he spent quite a bit of time driving the 7.3 vans and has reworked all the tunes to address all of our issues-high EGT's, shift points, downshifting, transmission shifting, etc. Because he essentially went back to the drawing board and spent hours re-working the tunes, he is charging $75 for the updated tunes depending how old your current tunes are, normally they would be free, and normally I would put up a stink for updates that were said to be free, but these are said to be a vast improvement over the original tunes I have and many hours were spent on them, and because my tunes are currently older ones originally purchased in Aug '13 I am willing to spend a little to hopefully gain a lot. He's emailing me the upgraded tunes in the AM, will comment on them when I give them the test.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:00 PM   #57

^^ Thanks Rick for all the follow up and attention to this. Very tmely for me.

Just back from three weeks and a couple thousand miles through AZ and So Cal. I was vacillating about what to do with ratios, tunes, etc. Have a 2002 7.3 (stock) w 3.55 gearing and 285/70-17's. Running the AR9100 additive in the oil (now second application) and using their fuel additive as well. Was pretty loaded up with gear (far more than needed, but ). Climbing the hills, engine would drop out of OD and spend some time around 2400 rpm but still kept mid 60 mph speed which was fine.

Stopped by Strictly Diesel in Phoenix and had them install a Tru-Cool trans cooler, also had them do the scheduled 55k mile oil change. Nate and the Gary are awesome guys and I am super happy with the results. Trans cooling is much better. They said engine sounded great in the test drive before the work..

Also spoke to them about tuners, ratios, etc. If not towing, they said stick with the 3.55's, and said a DP chip was fine and best for the vans, in their opinion. Will also add EGT gauge to keep an eye on those.

Looking forward to the DP Chip in the very near future!
Old 12-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #58

Garage

1der,

The guys at strictly diesel are the ones that work on my van. They have mentioned the DP tuner to me as well. I was looking at trans cooler, but now that I have removed the Hella 4000's from the front things stay pretty cool. Let us know about the tuner.

TexGX

PS. Did Nate drive your van? It was pretty funny watching him get in and out of mine.
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:54 PM   #59

Yep, Nate drove our van, and YES! the driver seat/area looked small with him sitting in it!
Old 12-01-2015, 06:53 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der
had them install a Tru-Cool trans cooler
Ooooooh. Some day I wanna check it out.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote