Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #1

7.3 diesel fuel leak 2002 Ford E350 only in cold weather

You can see where it was wet. Live in so cal by the sea. 60-80s avg temps. No leaks ever.

Went to big bear mtn this past weekend it got down to high 30s. Van leaks a steady drip of fuel when running and a little bit after shut off as well. Happened the whole time I was up there in Big Bear.

Came down the mountain back home and it doesn't leak anymore.

Based on research I'm thinking its a common problem. The fuel bowl drain valve has o-rings that go bad. 4 torque screws hold it in place.

Am I correct assuming that putting new O-rings will fix this?

How hard is it to swap out those o-rings?

Thanks!

Reference
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11168 ... -leak.html

Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:59 AM   #2

Re: 7.3 diesel fuel leak 2002 Ford E350 only in cold weather

Have the same problem and have to fix it. Just waiting for my visit in the US to solve the high shipping cost problem :-(
If you dismount the airfilter than you have a perfect access to the fuel bowl. This guy is best to take it out and than best will be to replace all o-rings
you get a kit here
http://www.dieselorings.com/1994-1998-f ... parts.html
Take the blue silicone once. Not much more expensive but than you will never have problems :-)

on this side here is also a link to a pdf file shows you the fixing process
http://www.dieselorings.com/1994-1998-f ... l-kit.html

Keep us in loop! Best wit pics
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #3

Thats it, o rings on the fuel bowl.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #4

Thanks guys. Bought the valve kit from Ford. $47. Will tackle this and post pics.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #5

Garage

this was the first issue i had with my van. had just got off phone with place that sold me van letting them know i made it all the way back from georgia to idaho with zero issues. walked outside to leave and notice a 2' round puddle under the van. fixed it that day, but not being familiar with the van in the least bit, it took me a while to replace the valve.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
this was the first issue i had with my van. had just got off phone with place that sold me van letting them know i made it all the way back from georgia to idaho with zero issues. walked outside to leave and notice a 2' round puddle under the van. fixed it that day, but not being familiar with the van in the least bit, it took me a while to replace the valve.
Any tips?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #7

Garage

^^^ well, being a van rookie, i dont know how helpfull they might be, but ill list out what i did. its not an easy part to get to, but other than the dp, most everything in the bay is a pita to get to, lol.

i removed the entire intake system just to have some room, and i think i removed the heatshield off turbo as well (its been a year and ive had a lot of concussions ). the bolts that hold it on are pointed twords the back of the rig. you can work on getting them out and (mostly) seeing them from the back, or you can work on them blindley from the front. as with a lot of jobs, getting the part off was relitivily easy (about 30 min), but i had to get another set of hands to get some of the bolts started. they held them in place from the front, and I weaseled a long extension onto them from the back.

all in all i think it took me 2.5-3 hours with an helper (off and on). lots of time was spent chasing lost/dropped tools and hardware...and a magnetic wand was my most used tool. if i hadnt dropped any tools or screws, im sure it could be done a LOT faster, lol.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #8
Site Team

Jacko,

Did you ever replace the fuel bowl o-rings? I think I have the same leak even though it's not cold, so I figure I better take care of it before I go somewhere cold. I looked at the o-ring replacement procedure at the Diesel O-Ring site and the procedure doesn't look complicated, just that it takes some time and somewhat messy.

Herb
Old 01-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #9

Sjc ford did it. Was a 2-3 hr job for them.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
Sjc ford did it. Was a 2-3 hr job for them.
2-3 hour job for them, 5-6 hour job for me. Just finished taking care of this earlier today. Didn't even bleed, which for me is fairly rare. Lots of scrapes though.

The bolts holding the fuel bowl in place were a pain, and getting the rigid fuel lines aligned back in place was a pain too. Rebuilding the fuel bowl and the drain valve was easy,though a little messy. I replaced all the o-rings, and also bought the fuel pressure regulator rebuild kit as well. Considering I'm at 110,000 miles, and don't know if the FPR has ever been rebuilt, I figured it was a small investment.

Learned a lot doing this myself, maybe even including that I don't ever want to do it again.

Herb