Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2012, 11:58 PM   #1

7.3 or 6.0 for build platform?

Looking for opinions on a build platform. I have a 2000 E-350 7.3 with 215K miles that I have owned since new, very reliable and never have had any problems with the van, always garaged and looks like new...love the rig. It's a window van and I am thinking of adding 4X4 and Transformer package.

A friend of mine has an 2005 E-350 6.0 with only 33,000 miles on it and will sell it to me for $14,500.

I love my van but hesitant to dump that much money into a rig with 215K miles on the odometer...my buddy has me thinking, as he is willing to sell me his van at trade-in value (low blue book). Any opinions would be appreciated.

robtbritn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: 7.3 or 6.0 for build platform?

Tough call. Reliability goes to the 7.3L, known history goes to the 7.3L, power goes to the 6.0L, lower total mileage goes to the 6.0L.

Is the 6.0L already 4x4, or will it require conversion? Would you do the 4x4 conversion, and the interior conversion yourself?

If you go the 6.0L route, I would factor in the cost of an oil cooler conversion and an EGR conversion (or delete depending on what state you live in). These conversions can add about $4K-$5K to the price of a 6.0L.

Herb
Old 07-31-2012, 06:23 AM   #3

I'm not a 6.0 hater, but I'd keep that 7.3 and convert it to 4x4. You've had it since new and know how it's been cared for, so it's a perfect candidate.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:01 AM   #4

Garage

Keep the 7.3. If it's in good shape and you love it, keep it. You can always rebuild the engine/tranny down the road. Newer is not always better....
Old 07-31-2012, 08:07 AM   #5

I would also keep the 7.3L. Then use the cash saved for solid transmission like BTW, and maybe some go-faster goodies for the engine.

I bet in 5 more years your high-mile 7.3L will have more value than the 6.0. You can already see this in pickups.

Besides the EGR/OIL coolers repairs, there are several other high-$ repairs that are commonly needed for the 6.0, like HPOP and injectors. Many of these expensive repairs are also the same problems that can leave you stranded on the side of the road.

The 7.3L really only has one common problem that will leave you on the side of the road. It's the cam position sensor. Many 7.3L owners just carry a spare.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
I would also keep the 7.3L. Then use the cash saved for solid transmission like BTW, and maybe some go-faster goodies for the engine.

The 7.3L really only has one common problem that will leave you on the side of the road. It's the cam position sensor. Many 7.3L owners just carry a spare.
x2 on that!
Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:39 AM   #7

I will farm out the 4X4 up fit and have Sportsmobile West do the Transformer conversion. I don't think Sportsmobile will to a 4X4 conversion on something this old or would they? If not, who are some builders on the west coast that would do a quality job on the 4X4 conversion?

Would defiantly need to rebuild the transmission on my 2000 as it original and has never been touched...I'm surprised it has hung in there this long but I have always been easy on it and only towed a heavy trailer with my tractor on it a few times.

As far as the history on the 2005 6.0...it has always been serviced at our local Ford dealer here in California and has never had any issues. It has never been garaged but in excellent condition. The cost to upgrade some of the known issues with the 6.0 would seem to wipe out the cost savings of the good deal my buddy is willing to give me???

Recommendations on 4X4 and transmission rebuild?

Thanks for the input.
robtbritn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Yeah, but wouldn't you know it, there's drama with regards to the CPS. There's the original black CPS which failed frequently so Ford recalled it, the post-recall grey CPS that has a weaker magnet and people swear the truck doesn't run as well, the blue CPS from International, and I think even a second, different dark-blue/purple one from International, and it seems everyone has their favorites. Seems to be hit and miss which one works best in your truck, and people just like to get that extra 0.03% of performance.

FWIW, I rounded up a used black CPS that now sits in the glovebox of my Excursion.

Herb
Old 07-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #9

QuadVan does used vans ('92+). I'm not sure about SMB.

I hear really good thins about BTS Transmissions.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:58 AM   #10

Garage
7.3 or 6.0 for build platform?

I have the 7.3 van with a Quadvan conversion and am very happy. I did a new ford HD transmission with a warranty but had I an opportunity to do it over I would have one of the quality tranny guys out there build me one. While I'm not a huge 4 wheeler I have been impressed with the rig in the snow as well as some pretty big climbs so far. My only comparison is my '42 willys which will humble lots of rigs. One other thing to consider if you choose the Quadvan route is to have van specialties in Portland do the transformer also. They have done this a few times and you could save some sales tax possibly.

Brad