Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2018, 10:24 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
I don’t know if quiet ride is the best thing to insulate the doghouse with, at least exposed, I don’t think it’s heat rated as it’s essentially a dense rubber mat, I used it on my floor up front on top of dynamat before installing new carpet. In that application, it’s worked quite well with the noise level. The sound level dropped from the doghouse as well.
The quietride "whole vehicle kit" has a specific separate kit for the doghouse, check out p10 on the link below

PDF.js viewer

So I would hope that they've done the research to know that it works specifically in that area?? I just think the install wasn't thorough enough, but hopefully that's been resolved now. Definitely makes me nervous, smelling that burning rubber was scary...

ndubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:49 PM   #32

You can also wrap your downpipe with header wrap. I made soundproofing improvements to my entire floor, firewall, engine bay, doghouse, etc. and covered all near engine with flame proof foil type tape. After that, my up pipes were original and had typical leaks so replaced them with much better bellowed up pipes which I double wrapped with header wrap, baked them dry in oven, and coated with the silicon based spray on top coat paint. While I was at it, I did same to down pipe and added a Thermal Zero turbo blanket. Overall, much quieter, even with lots of other performance upgrades and aftermarket turbo wheel. A 7.3 is going to make noise, but the Hutch mod takes out the cackle sound by reducing air in your fuel rails too. Now, phone calls are possible with the windows closed!
VOODOO7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:58 AM   #33

I honestly think a stock height van is quieter than a lifted van in diesel. The reason is I feel, the exhaust manifolds are higher up which are more exposed in the wheel wells. If you want to see if your insulation is making a difference, try this. Park your van on a cement area shut it off wait a few minutes start it up with the door open. Then quickly Park on a grassy area and repeat the process to see the difference that I'm talking about. It will also let you hear more on the inside because the grass and dirt will absorb the sound instead of reflecting it back at you.
It's one of the amazing reasons why I like camping, I feel like my van 50% quieter LOL
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:55 PM   #34

I added sound deadening to the floor, doors, and roof. Then I added foil backed denim insulation to the same areas. It made a huge difference to interior noise. After that I added archoil stiction eliminator to the oil. That too reduced the injector clacking and valve noise. It's still no Prius but my wife and I can have a conversation without yelling now.

Looks like the quiet ride kit uses the foil backed denim. I ordered mine from lowes
Old 06-08-2018, 05:03 PM   #35

Ok so we just got up to flagstaff from Phoenix, and now that I’ve had it at speed I do think the quietride kit made a noticeable difference. Like everyone says it won’t ever be a Prius but we can have a conversation in it now. No more smoking issues from the doghouse either. Our van is definitely heavily lifted too, so the point about that makes sense. That archoil friction eliminator I’m curious about. I bought some but haven’t used it yet. Anyone else use it?
ndubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #36

I had a noticeable difference after taking out the internal tank fuel filter and running a length of stainless tubing to the other side of the tank for the fuel return line. Def quieter and seemed to run smoother.
jblaze5779 is offline   Reply With Quote