Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #21

I just installed the front kit but it only took a couple hours max. Possibly even less that than I can't remember, its been awhile.

Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:00 PM   #22

I'm thinking a couple hours as well. Joe
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigriver View Post
I'm thinking a couple hours as well. Joe
Decided to hire someone to help me out, I knew myself and knew if I ever was going to have time to do it, it was going to be an all-nighter as I would never have time to do it with the kids around. They're working on it today, will let everyone know how much of a difference it makes.

On a related question, has anyone tried the AcoustiHood product that QuietRide makes?
http://www.quietride.com/acoustihood.html
My van has the hood louvres so I'm not sure if they would even be worth it but I was wondering if in a 6.0 like my van it might actually be a bad thing because of the engine heat, and maybe wouldn't even help with the noise because of the louvres. Hoping that I'm happy with the noise level after this install, but if not that might be my next step.
ndubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:18 PM   #24

Garage
Any updates on noise improvements
snowgroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:31 PM   #25

I just added dynamat to my doghouse and the difference in noise level was noticeable. The other added benefit was it reduced the amount of heat coming off the cover which helped keep the beers in my cup holders cold longer.
CaptainVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:32 PM   #26

Soda, I meant soda, not beer.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:05 AM   #27

Garage
Did you remove what is there put in Dynamat then reinstall it afterword?
What holds original in place, I haven't pulled Dog house off yet
snowgroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:51 AM   #28

It took around 1.5 to 2 hours to install everything. I put the aluminum backed dynamat under the original heat shield. Its been a few years but I don't remember the job being difficult in the least.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:27 PM   #29

I just finished my QuietRide kit install, and I do have a warning to everyone. I decided to take it for a short spin up the freeway to see if I noticed any difference. I started to smell what seemed like burning rubber, so I quickly got home and took the doghouse off and found that the edges of some of the rubbery material in the QuietRide kit were melting and smoking. I realized that it was in direct contact with the downpipe exhaust, so I cut out part of the insulation in that area and then went through the entire insulation in the doghouse and put a couple of layers of aluminum tape on it so that there would be no exposed rubber/plastic anymore. Seems to have resolved the issue but that could have been a big mess (or even a fire) if I hadn't noticed it. I'll be taking it on an extended trip this weekend so if I have any other issues I'll let you all know.

Sound-wise, I think it's improved but to be honest it's not as much as I had hoped. I wouldn't say that the difference is dramatic. I'm still wondering if the hood louvers on our van is a big part of the issue, letting a lot of sound out of the hood.
ndubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:04 PM   #30
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
7.3 PSD interior noise questions

I tackled this job a few years back. I first removed the existing original foil backed fiberglass shield on the backside of the doghouse by cutting it out around the latches. I then added dynamat soundproofing directly to the plastic backside of the doghouse and then added a foil backed insulation layer as a heat shield before replacing the original foil backed fiberglass piece back over everything and secured it in place with foil tape.
Remember folks, the doghouse sits directly on top of the engine, and in my case, right over the turbo and turbo pipe, making a ton of heat. Some sort of foiled heat barrier needs to be used here like it is from the factory.
I don’t know if quiet ride is the best thing to insulate the doghouse with, at least exposed, I don’t think it’s heat rated as it’s essentially a dense rubber mat, I used it on my floor up front on top of dynamat before installing new carpet. In that application, it’s worked quite well with the noise level. The sound level dropped from the doghouse as well.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote