Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2018, 09:38 AM   #1

7.3L swap

I've got a buddy that really wants a 7.3 powerstroke powered van but for financial reasons is considering getting a newer gasser and swapping in a 7.3L down the road.

Are there any limitations on what year/model of van a 7.3 will fit in? Any other considerations he should keep in mind?

I just did a quick google search for 7.3L engines and found 3 from $1,000-$1,350 on the first page. What's a ballpark number for a decent rebuild (not including instalation -just drop off engine and pick back up)?

DosMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:26 AM   #2

Tell your buddy he is nuts.

Edit: And if he is also in CA he's asking for a world of smog trouble. Have fun at the referee every couple years!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:29 AM   #3

buy the 7.3....tell him to keep looking..they do come up in good shape and cheap...my 2003 e350 long body cargo with 211K was $5,000 and in perfect shape...couple hundred bucks in seats and swivel mounts...some sound deadener..reflex bubble insulation and $60 in carpet its JUST as nice as a regular passenger van...(onto a window next!)

swaping a diesel into a non-diesel is labor and time intensive...
Wanderer-RRORC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Tell your buddy he is nuts.
We've done this twice just this year. It is extremely labor and time intensive, it is not something I'd recommend to just anyone. I recommend just being patient and buy what you want right from the get-go.
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DosMars View Post
I've got a buddy that really wants a 7.3 powerstroke powered van but for financial reasons is considering getting a newer gasser and swapping in a 7.3L down the road.
A Cummins 6.7L would be an easier conversion, and could maintain EPA compliance. Plus make more power and less noise.

There's really only 1 benefit of the 7.3L over the V10, and it's fuel economy, but the benefit is slight. The V10 makes the same torque, way more power, and can be had with the TorqueShift transmission.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
A Cummins 6.7L would be an easier conversion, and could maintain EPA compliance. Plus make more power and less noise.

There's really only 1 benefit of the 7.3L over the V10, and it's fuel economy, but the benefit is slight. The V10 makes the same torque, way more power, and can be had with the TorqueShift transmission.
To that I'll add - the V10 is much quieter, more dependable, much lighter, and easier and cheaper to maintain.
I really wanted a diesel when I was looking for a new van but couldn't pass up the one I've got now. After 10 years living with it, I'm very happy with the V10. Fuel mileage excepted, of course!
Old 03-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #7

As one of the few folks who has done a major diesel swap into a newer (gas) van (late model Cummins in a 2013 van), I'd strongly suggest just buying a newer V10 van and enjoy it.

I did the diesel swap as part of my business, part of my continuing education, part of my passion as an automotive enthusiast, part of my desire to take on challenging projects that no one thinks are possible and because I really wanted to and I'm stubborn like that. It was never about fuel mileage and I didn't do it because I love diesels so much more than gas rigs. If you start your post with "due to financial reasons", you're already f'd in the diesel swap game.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
To that I'll add - the V10 is much quieter, more dependable, much lighter, and easier and cheaper to maintain.
I really wanted a diesel when I was looking for a new van but couldn't pass up the one I've got now. After 10 years living with it, I'm very happy with the V10. Fuel mileage excepted, of course!
I agree, I've done some pretty extensive work on cars and trucks, but wouldn't take on a van Diesel swap. The juice isn't worth the squeeze, as that say.

I have two friends who did the Fummins swap (Cummins into a OBS Ford truck) "It's done all the time!" they said. Pfft. One guy quit after a year and bought a new truck, the other guy finished his Frankenstein after 3yrs of part time work (he DID do a sequential twin turbo...), but tired of tinkering on it, his wife hated it because it the traction bars made it ride rough (she's right, I took a 800 mile road trip in it), and he sold it. Hundreds and hundreds of man hours, and that's an easier to work on truck!

I owned a 2000 E350 w/V10 and loved it. The entire package was reliable as a work day is long. FE wasn't bad, 14 if I remember right.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:34 PM   #9

Garage
Here's one done from a 5.4 to 7.3. It has a U joint 6" leaf conversion and was done in Vancouver.
Cheers
Darryl

https://www.facebook.com/blackoutdie...66407360183205
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:21 PM   #10

I've replaced my 01 7.3 motor once AND that's way f'n easier than switching from gas to diesel. I wouldn't even consider it.
Replace the unwanted van with one that's liked.

I'd suggest an 2005+ V10. & 4.10 gears Get a full guality exhaust, intake and the a 5 star tune for the mods. It'll rip!
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote