Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #11

Re: 7 year/200K for Diesels

Hey guys,

I've been following this and I'm interested. This might seem like a stupid question but when I read the "flyer" that someone posted a while back it appeared like the only place you could take the van for the extended warranty work was that SPECIFIC shop in Norcal somewhere. Is that true? Obviously, for me that would be a non-starter but if it covers work that can be done at any Ford dealership/truck shop then I'm in there.

Can anyone confirm?

DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:52 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage

No...any Ford dealer in the US or Canada from what I'm told. But only Jay Mento can set up the warrantee I believe. I have had other Ford dealers claim that they can offer the same deal but Jay had to convince Ford to offer the warrantee to SMB 4x4 conversions only after they canceled it some time back. I do not know if they will honor a Quigley conversion done by SMB. I suggest you call Jay. It's not a scam unless you think all warrantees are scams

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:17 AM   #13

Right now I'm on the fence - I bought the van just two months ago with just 23,000 miles on it, and this May it will be its 3rd anniversary so I will have to decide soon.

To date my experience with my local Ford mechanics hasn't been too good regarding warranty issues. I thought I had a rear seal leak or possibly a belly plate leak and they put dye in the oil to trace the leak and luckily it turned out to be the front differential leaking out the breather tube. They added a longer piece of hose and re-routed it and that seems to be the problem.

When it was looking like the rear seal was leaking or the belly plate, they were arguing with me about the Amsoil bypass oil filter system, etc stating the modifications would prevent a warranty claim. I talked to the service manager and he stated he would have to talk to the Ford district representative and go from there.

Since there was no leak, I never had to pursue the warranty claim, but it looks like it would be a fight of sorts. I realize lots of SMB owners have had similar experiences.

It just seems extra tough paying the $2,500 for the extended warranty, and then realizing you still are probably going to have to battle with at least some Ford service managers over getting the warranty honored. If I'm thinking correctly, the $2,500 really only buys me two more years (assuming my mileage stays under the 200k limit) over the 5 yr. power train warranty.

It really is a tough call whether your claim will actually be honored by a Ford garage if you purchase the warranty, or just save the bucks (assuming your warranty has expired) and if/when a problem rears its head have the freedom to choose where to get it fixed and get it fixed right using the best parts/mechanics at your choosing.

Just my random thoughts - wondering what others might think.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #14

I’ve had the 200k warrantee for seven weeks and it has already paid off. The van has been in for repair 4 times at 2 different Ford shops in the last 5 weeks. The rent a car has been covered after the first day and there is no deductible for the repair attempts. At each dealer after they entered the VIN, the service writer commented “I see you have the Diesel Extended Care”. The only problem so far has been a question about the 46 gallon fuel tank possibly being the root of the current problem. (check engine light code 2284) Everything in the tank is OEM, only the capacity has changed, so I'm pushing back.

I will NEVER buy another Ford without purchasing the extended warrantee!

11 RB150 MB Sprinter w/pop top
Burklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikine
Right now I'm on the fence - I bought the van just two months ago with just 23,000 miles on it, and this May it will be its 3rd anniversary so I will have to decide soon.
Provided the plan can be purchased for a used vehicle (I don't know the rules on warrantee transfers), I'm pretty sure if you get the plan before 5 yrs 36K your transmission would be covered as well. Ford will not cover any converted parts of the van such as a dyna trac axle, non Ford shocks, transfer case etc.

But when they had to replace my bed plate gasket, I was told that many 6.0's had defective blocks. If that was the case and I had no warrantee, Ford's repair would cost me $12,000+. Of course I do believe it could be done for cheaper and possibly with better workmanship by mechanics at a private shop. Finding a warrantee for the same price from someone who would let you go to any shop would be a great way to go....just never seen something like that yet.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Provided the plan can be purchased for a used vehicle (I don't know the rules on warrantee transfers), I'm pretty sure if you get the plan before 5 yrs 36K your transmission would be covered as well. Ford will not cover any converted parts of the van such as a dyna trac axle, non Ford shocks, transfer case etc..
They will, however, cover the front axle (and probably transfercase, etc.) on a van ordered through Quigley. At least, they covered to replace all the seals in my front axle, and I ordered a Quigley 4wd conversion when I ordered the van.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:18 AM   #17

Of all of the Quigleys that our family has owned we never had issue one with any of the Vans .
They have always treated and serviced all five of these vehicles like any other FORD product !
I would think that this is due to the relationship that they have always had with FOMOCO .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #18

Just got back from SMB West yesterday and picked up the brochure on the Diesel EngineCare Plans. I repeat. EngineCare Plans. The coverage makes no mention of anything else being covered. I don't think it is an all inclusive extended service agreement like the previous plan was..
I certainly would check with Jay before being surprised.

Paul
Old 03-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #19

It is engine ONLY. It specificly states what parts are covered and if it ain't mentioned, good luck on getting it covered. There are two engine care plans. I think the one with more coverage is only available if you are still under the original 3 year/36,000 coverage. If over that, you can only get the lesser plan. This does change from time to time, but that's the way it was when I checked a year ago.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #20

Quote:
It is engine ONLY
.... and nothing attached to the engine that is not critical to it running. For example, like my A/C compressor that magically developed a golf ball size hole in it and cost around $2k to replace. I'm still mad about the bill.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote