Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
Site Team

Re: 98 Ford E250: Can I use 2008+ Ford brakes on front?

Boy, I guess I really had that jacked up. That's what happens when you let former SMB owners onto this site.

I really did think that the newer Ford vans required larger rims due to the rotors/calipers being larger.

Herb

Old 05-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Thanks Carringb!

So, brake-wise, sounds like bolt-on, but need to pay attention to the hoses and swap over the ABS sensors. Will there be any master cylinder issues?

I'd probably save the suspension parts upgrade to down the road, as the brakes are the immediate need.
If you want the brakes, just swap the complete axle. It's much easier. I don't even think the new calipers will fit with the old knuckles. They are MUCH larger. I'm not even sure the bearings are the same. Swapping the axles is pretty much 4 large bolts (I-beams and spring perch), and 6 small bolts (radius arm brackets)

PS - they do fit (barely) inside stock 16" wheels. But they probably won't fit 16" aftermarket alloys. I have 17" Ultra Goliaths and they barely clear.

Master Cylinder does not need changing. Current vans still have same MC piston size and booster diameter. Pedal feel will improve substantially due to the larger rotors and calipers. Besides bigger pistons, the calipers are stiffer.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:52 AM   #13

Thanks to everyone for the great info! I may take the plunge. If so, I'll report back.

For those that have driven both, is there a noticeable difference with the newer-style, larger brakes? I would assume there would be less fade and better stopping power. As I understand it, the rotors are thicker, too, which should make them less prone to warping and last longer.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

There is no comparison between the old (pre '08) and the '08 and newer brakes. Especially in a relatively heavily loaded van, the new big brakes are FAR superior. (IMHO)
Bill
Old 05-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon
There is no comparison between the old (pre '08) and the '08 and newer brakes. Especially in a relatively heavily loaded van, the new big brakes are FAR superior. (IMHO)
Bill
x2

I used to have a major problem with my rotors cracking from excess heat. Usually then were thoroughly checkered with cracks after about 20,000 miles. I tried all different premium, drilled, slotted, cro-treated, and they all still cracked. Cryo/slotted got me a more time, but they still did it eventually.

Fast forward to '09 front axle: I have ~70,000 miles on it, and about 60,000 of those were towing miles (7500 of that in the last 10 days). Rotors still look almost new. Pads are at about 60%. They do dust more, but other than that, they are infinitely better than the old brakes.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #16

Also, even fully loaded at 22,000 pounds, I can lockup the front brakes on dry pavement at highway speeds. (I like that our ABS isn't overly intrusive).