Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2012, 12:40 AM   #21

Re: A basic engine and mpg question

Ultrasport - thanks for the tidbit about electric fuel pumps being cooled by fuel. Worth keeping in mind.

Interesting feedback on reserve capacities - 5-7 gallons is pretty reasonable. That's for sure at least an hour's reserve for most of us, most of the time.

Viejo, do you get far off road? It sure seems you should have more confidence in your available fuel than a 16-gallon margin on that nice big tank. Maybe you should talk to the manufacturer (TransferFlow?) for some guidance about usable fuel.

I definitely concur with resetting the trip meter for every fill. I like to know miles on the current tank, mpg history under various conditions, history of fuel needed to fill from various fuel gauge indications, current conditions mpg (maybe a scan gauge knows this, I don't really trust mine all that much, but I do believe it provides a relative consumption level.)

2005 Ford E350 6.8L V-10 RB-50

redrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:20 PM   #22

Ya, we try to get as far away from it all as possible. Not many fuel options in Nevada north of I-80, SE Oregon or south Utah.
We generally have only a rough itinerary and make it up as we go. I'll admit I'm probably too conservative with the fuel reserve but with such a large tank it's not really a problem so far.

I can't use my Scangauge for fuel and trip data. A temperature related electrical problem causes it to go dead for about 1/2 hour or so every day. I just use it for Temp monitoring and engine fault codes. It's aggravating but not aggravating enough to pay someone to track it down.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #23

I am unsure how to retrieve a previous post that contained much good information from a very close friend who came up through the ranks with two of the larger fuel companies . essentially he gave me the following suggestions for Diesel Fuel .
#1 Irregardless of brand , run an approved additive periodically especially on long trips .
#2 The more fuel that is kept in a tank the less chance of water contamination at the Engine .
#3 Always fill your tank at the coolest time of the day , preferably early in the A.M.
#4 If possible do not fill your tank if the station is receiving a shipment of Diesel at the time that you are there . You will get more Water , Scale from tank if it is steel and more fine particulate matter . All of this is due to the agitation of the existing fuel in the tank at the time they receive their latest delivery .
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote