Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2015, 04:44 PM   #11

Re: Alternator E350 PSD recommendations

What is the big three wiring harness and what lengh is appropriate for e350 psd?

Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketcham
What is the big three wiring harness and what lengh is appropriate for e350 psd?
You want to add 1/0 or 2/0gauge wire to the factory wiring harness to handle the additional load that beast of an alternator is going to generate. You probably upgraded when you did your 270A alternator? Either way, the factory cable can't handle the electrical load on a high output alternator.

The big 3 upgrade, batt to alt, bat to ground, and bat to engine block ground. Adding a fuse in line for the batt to alt is also a good idea. You can leave the oem wiring in place. I think both DCpower and FICMrepair.com have upgrade cable kits but they might not be long enough to fit the van with the batteries down on the frame rail.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:47 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketcham
I wanted to thank everyone here. Ed at FICM repair was exceedingly knowledgeable and took the time to provide his insight, so much so I had to cut the conversation short due to my personal work schedule.

http://www.nationsstarteralternator.com ... asp?ID=251

Because of reasons stated in this link, I chose the 370 Amp XP. The XP has advantages:

In addition the XP allows a voltage regulator (in this case limiting to 14.2V) which is more ideal for gel type batteries I have powering the diesel motor. Higher voltages stress this type of battery design.
Are you sure that alternator will fit in the smaller case? I do agree that the 370 would in theory might run cooler but if for some reason you had a short or an unusual high load, I do agree with Joe, you better ramp up to some big bus wire and/or fuse it. These guys that have those thumper stereos in there vehicles require massive power supplies and engineer for it. I just think it's a bit much for what we really need. YMMV and it will be interesting to follow what you decide to install and the performance you get out of it. Please don't take it as I'm shooting down your ideas...I'm no expert.

Secondly are you really running Gel batteries Ketch? If so in most cases you really need a specific voltage regulator and the solar (if you have it) will need to be adjusted for that as well. I ran gel batteries in my bass boat and got rid of them...rather burned them up quickly because they require a specific charging voltage as compared to wet cell and AGM types. This depending on the manufacture and design. Most manufactures require a lower voltage with Gel cell types (below 13.8 @ around 70*) where AGM's can take a slightly higher voltage at the same temp. Unfortunately I used a standard car charger on my bass boat and it cost me in the end. I've seen that the MK (East Penn/Deka IIRC) series claim they can be charged at a higher voltage. It gets back to finding out what the manufacture requires. Gel types do have advantages.

Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's correct...in my case I guess it was with the brand I purchased for my boat.

Here is a typical internet point of view, mind you I don't have the background to state whether is valid.

http://solarcraft.net/articles/gel-vs-a ... batteries/

Could be a load of high amp horse hockey.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:17 PM   #14

I pulled the receipts: Group 65 super heavy duty battery $280 each. So unlikely gel. Googled that information and came up with Odyssey but uncertain if those are them...van in shop

For some reason I recall a gel matrix when I research batteries. It has been two years.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
The unexpected bonus with the alternator upgrade and "Big Three" 1/0 wiring is that it allows the alternator to begin charging the batteries immediately upon startup rather than having to wait for the glow plugs to turn off before charging is allowed as with the stock set up. Some folks have to change out their starting batteries once/year which no doubt is in part to the PSD drawing the batteries down to 10V on startup.

Wow the magic of wire, don't get me wrong I agree upgrading the cable should be done with a higher power alternator. I am not sure I understand how it turns on the charging earlier, but I can't say that I have really looked into either. I think Joe is right on with targeting his idle power to determine the size alternator you need, there would a point a diminishing returns for higher power = running cooler, etc.

Ketcham,

You can get good marine grade 1/0 cable at west marine, they should have the appropriate size lugs also. You could make up your own cable if you wanted. I would not recommend running it in parallel with the old cable of smaller size. I have a crimper for that size wire and I am local to you.

greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:16 PM   #16

I've been very happy with set up from Premier Power Welder. Alternator was large and needed to be re-clocked fitting it in, but works great.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:56 PM   #17

Suggestions as I need insight!

Alternator 370A with 14.2 V regulator placed. New 1/0 wire throughout the system. All contacts clean and correct. 14.2 V to batteries by voltmeter when running. Battery light on in console AND Edge insight does not display battery voltage as it did. PCM having issues? No error codes, engine runs fine.

Bad Alternator? It does put out electrons...

Thoughts?

-j
Old 07-24-2015, 10:29 PM   #18

The alternator isn't PCM controlled but it's detecting something to trigger the idiot light. Perhaps a question for Nations or DCpower.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:05 PM   #19

Is the 3-pin connector plugged in? It'll make power without that, it just puts out full voltage, and the van won't see what's going on.

Also good idea to make sure the pins are not burned up in that connector. NAPA sells a replacement pigtail with better pins to correct this problem.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:47 PM   #20

Excellent suggestions! I will get back at it tomorrow and keep you posted.

I am going to state the obvious, trucks are much easier to work on.