Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2015, 10:20 AM   #21

Re: Am I making a mistake?

Maybe another factor is that you're coming from a Westy. That makes me think that like me, you're used to driving in a style that utilizes technique over raw power (not to say you can't have both!). Before my SMB (and after teen days), I had 4-cylinders with manual transmissions. None had a ton of power. They were all fun to drive though, and I could merge etc. with the rest of the herd.

Compared to those, the SMB with 5.4 felt like a super powerful beast. My buddy who has it now also comes from economy cars and manual trans, and he is also perfectly happy with the 5.4. He tows a lighter trailer (2,000#). It never felt under-powered to me, but as you can see by this thread, everyone is different.

So anyway, I really liked the 5.4 in my SMB. I have the V-10 now, and it's okay too, but if I were looking for another van I'd prefer the 5.4 (if not planning to tow houses), but would also take the V-10. Basically I'd go for the better van, whichever engine it had. Gas for sure, as that suits my style better (so of course when I'm shopping, they all come up diesels!)

At any rate, I was just thinking that coming from a Westy, the 5.4 will probably seem plenty powerful. YMMV of course.

Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:27 PM   #22

I'll be the guy who says Diesel all day every day.
Sure its a costly endeavor, but it's damm cool and our hobby /lifestyle.
Max out and don't settle for less.

I wouldn't sleep if I had a 5.4.
I was almost happy with the 5 Star Tunned V10 (it was stupid fast/fun) I had but despite such low miles and lack of maintenance it costed me more than any of my three past 7.3PSD. And too many windows with that color... blah.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
plus it is really nice to have no issues on hills and be able to utilize those rare passing lanes to get by all the lethargic rv's
Most people don't do it but the 5.4 will pull a hill and pass a lot of things if you simply rev it. Talk to CarringB! The modulars aren't hurt spinning up above 5000 RPMs but most people don't drive a V8 that way. It really screams and makes you feel like you're beating on it, but you aren't if it's in good mechanical shape. Anyway, not to get too far off subject but coming from a Westy you'll be so happy with the 5.4 you won't believe it.

Go drive one!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #24

Garage

^^^ i love rpms. my last little civic had a redline of 10k and i hit the limiter often. theres just something about parts wailing at that speed and the noise it produces that gets my crank spinning.

needless to say i have no problems using all rpms available, no matter the vehicle. the diesel sounds like 10k when its going 2500, lol. i drove a handful 5.4 vans before we found ours. one being 4x4. i wont say the power was disappointing at all. its exactly what i expected, but you really cant compare them to each other. especially when towing. that said, before we got our tuner, our stupid little stocker 1989 civic 1.6 would still hand the 7.3 its ass light to light

and totally agree. coming from a westy, its gonna feel like a freaking rocketship...
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
Maybe another factor is that you're coming from a Westy.
Also a LOT heavier than a Westie.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:25 AM   #26

Ok vanderpooch, your homework assignment for this weekend is to get out there and drive a bunch of 5.4L 4x4 F250's and F350's preferably with at least campershells if not full-size campers. And maybe the same for some v10's and 7.3L's and report back to us.

We are seeing more and more curious Westy's on this forum, so your impressions would be helpful not only to us but to them, so please post.

Edit: Advice for $0.5K to $1K snow ski's and for $30K-$50K vans -- Demo, Demo, Demo!
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Ok vanderpooch, your homework assignment for this weekend is to get out there and drive a bunch of 5.4L 4x4 F250's and F350's preferably with at least campershells if not full-size campers. And maybe the same for some v10's and 7.3L's and report back to us.

We are seeing more and more curious Westy's on this forum, so your impressions would be helpful not only to us but to them, so please post.

That's a hell of a weekend HW assignment! Seems like that would take the better part of a full semester to get that done! I guess it depends on what your friends drive
Old 09-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #28

ANZAC,

I understand an SMB will be heavier than a Westy. Here is what I was basing my comments on:

1) Someone who has been reasonably happy driving a Westy, is likely not someone who needs ultimate power.

2) I drove tens of thousands of miles in my '97 SMB with a 5.4 V8 loaded at over 12,000# gross combined, and another batch of the same at 7,600# gross. I never felt the engine was holding me back in any way. This was cross-country, and throughout the west on various big passes. (Mostly less than 8% grade when towing, but more % when not towing.)

Obviously everyone is different. I enjoyed my 5.4 in the above circumstances, and it performed fine (and still does, for the current owner). You would probably not be happy with it. But from what I gleaned from the OP's postings, my guess is it would be fine. Not that I said to buy it; I was just giving data points from my experience. To me, my current V-10 just feels like another few pounds of flour in a sack that is already very cramped. Definitely hotter and less comfortable around the doghouse, and the mileage is not as good. OTOH, I might not be able to tow what I do now with the 5.4, because I'm now running over 15,000# gross combined, with a higher profile (nearly 10' tall, close to 8' wide).
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:35 PM   #29

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

I think that is a nice SMB and a good price and I would not let the 5.4 hold you back if it fits all of your other needs.

I have two 5.4L fully built out 4x4 extended body Sportsmobiles with 33" tires and 4.10 gears and they drive great. I've towed my Jeep Cherokee that was loaded down with 4 35" wheels and tires in the back plus the Sportsmobile loaded down with an upright compressor and boxes of tools and hardware a 1000 miles down the Baja with one of them and it performed very well.

I like the 5.4l very much, in some ways better then my V10.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:58 PM   #30

Also, if for some reason you decide the 5.4L isn't powerful enough, even with an improved exhaust, there's lots of options for forced induction with the 5.4L!