Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #1

Anyone using Biodiesel ??

I would like to know if anyone is using biodiesel on a regular/total basis
and your results...any fuel system modifications you made, mpg etc:
We started out with 20%, made a fuel line switch recommended by Ford
and found some 50%, ran it for about 3 months. Now have a source for 99.9 % and have run 1 tank and saw no loss of power, same mpg as with
regular diesel 15.5; and the rig runs noticably quieter

rik damin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
Site Team

Haven't tried biodiesel, yet. There's a local station that sells either B5 or B10, but I haven't tried them yet.

I have heard you should change out your fuel filter more oftern if switching between biodiesel and diesel, since the biodiesel actually does such a good job at cleaning out your fuel system, it loosens up a lot of carbon deposits.

BTW, check the owners manual for your van. Most vehicle manufacturers will only honor fuel system and engine warranties if you use up to 5% biodiesel.

Herb
Old 03-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
I've probably run bio every other tank since getting back from Fresno in November. The local Safeway carries bio-diesel. They used to have both B5 and B20. Right now they only have the B5, but they have half the pumps torn apart. I'm hoping they'll have B20 again when they put things back together.

I'm just hitting 5,000 miles now so my mileage is just beginning to settle down. I don't think the bio is any worse. I do notice the engine running quieter.

I am hoping by running bio from the start will keep the fuel system cleaned out. I'm sure I'll be a little more agressive in changing the fuel filters anyway.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #4

More info on Biodiesel

I am currently waiting for my new SB but have done a lot of research on this topic. I have looked at a couple of other forums which I think will give you the information you are looking for. The first is www.superdutydiesel.com/forum. This is a forum of Ford diesel owners and has a forum specifically about biodiesel. The other is www.biodieselnow.com/forum. They have a thread just for Ford users with tons of good info.

One issue I am dealing with that you may have if you have either the Espar heater or hydronic heater is that apparently SB uses rubber for the fuel lines to these. If you have the aftermarket tank they may have also used rubber hear which will disolve if you run B20 or higher through them. I am currently trying to get SB to install lines that willt tolerate biodiesel.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:30 PM   #5

biodiesel

John, I don't have those appliances so I'm not too worried and we did change all possible rubber fuel lines and connectors for that very reason...

I do run regular diesel from time to time, but prefer a "clean" engine...
fuel and water filter changes are critical...our Ford dealer suggested oil
and filter changes every 5k miles and we stick as close to that as possible
rik damin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #6

Two of my freinds work on diesel engines for a living, one at CAT and one for a trucking company that ran biodiesel in their trucks. The trucking company no longer runs bio because of filter problems and injector problems, and my friend at CAT says they dont recommend bio and will not warranty new engines that run bio! Im gonna wait awhile before i make the switch.
Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Wasn't there someone that had fuel tank issues that they thought might have been from BioDiesel?

...I don't remember where I saw it now.. but it must have been here or the Yahoo group.... and I remember photos posted of the rusty-looking interior of the fuel tank....
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:38 AM   #8

For those with espar/airtronic heaters, the Reno shop that installs and repairs them says that they are rated for 5% max on biodiesel. Just passing on what they told me....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:47 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to stanton
Bio Deisel

I've run B20 fairly often for a couple of years now with no problems. Here's a few comments:

1) I have a 7.3L PSD I've heard that this engine is much better suited for use with bio-diesel than the 6.0 L engines. (I've heard rumors that one shouldn't ever run more than 5% bio-deisel on the 6.0L engines -- but I don't know for sure).

2) I only use professionally made and distributed fuel -- I stay away from the garage/backyard made stuff to ensure constant quality (sorry Boulder hippies).

3) With B20 so far, I haven't had any serious cold weather (overnight, negative and single digits) starting problems -- starts about the same as Diesel #2 CAVEAT: If I know I'm going to be snow/ice bound I add an anti gel additive.

4) I haven't had any fuel line or filter problems (yet?)

5) Bio-diesel is expensive!! I use it because I like the idea of using American made alternative fuels -- not because I'm thinking it is a bargain of some sort.
stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #10

I just put my first tank of b99 in. That makes my current mixture about 70% bio. I've been running b20 for the last 6 tanks without issue. I did change the filter after the first tank. When I bought the b99 it was 3.23 a gallon as opposed to the 3.69 for diesel. I've been on the fence for as long as I've owned the van. The prices and satisfaction of not putting money in some mid eastern coffers has pushed me over the edge. I plan on running b50 or greater in the future and we will see what happens. I'll sure pass the word if I run into major difficulties.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote