Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #21
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8ful View Post
Why buy something you know didn't work & was discontinued because of it?
Well IIRC the real reason for the 6.0 being discontinued was more about meeting air quality. In 2005 we didn't have many issues with the 6.0's. In fact we never really had too many issues with them for the short time they were in use at our company. None of our fleet vans had the 6.0... only gas engines and they still do. One of the bucket trucks I had issued to me had a V-10 and I had heat issues with it. After switching to diesel (mainly the 7.3 early on) the heat issue went away but none of it had to do with a van. The most problematic truck I ever drove was one with the 7.3 PSD. It was in the shop more than is wasn't. My 6.2 was almost as bad. Now the newer PDS's are giving them fits. Don't get me wrong I actually like some aspects of the 6.0PSD. YMMV.

Of coarse this thread is specifically about the 6.0PSD and what I just wrote kind of violates the rule we have had here about "No more diesel vs gas" threads. You can get all of those you want if you simply search.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:27 PM   #22

Quote:
I've owned many 12 valve Cummins & now this IDI also. I can buy a set of injectors for either of these for under $300/set. The Powestokes are over $3,000. per set so I now know where the name Stroke came from.

Just a tad bit of an over exaggeration don't ya think? Like X2.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:30 PM   #23

A year ago I would be skeered this thread would be locked about now because of the good ole 'gas vs diesel' argument but this is really leaning towards more of a diesel vs. diesel argument. However, seeing how we're an 'RVLife community' nowadays I'm sure clicks are all that matters. Get out the gloves! Let's here some diesel vs. diesel hate!

Oh, hold on, gotta get in my gas van and run get some beer. Oh shoot, it's minus 40 out there. Oh yeah, no problem, it's a gas engine! Be right back.......
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #24
Orv

Garage
Quote:
It featured a glut of emissions equipment never before used, such as an exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve.
That's a strange statement. My 1981 Mercedes 300TD had EGR, and the tech was already pretty old at that point. VW was using EGR and VVTs on diesels in the 90s. These weren't new, experimental technologies.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:34 PM   #25

My Honda Odyssey V6 engine is the best van engine ever. Just sayin’....

;-)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:25 PM   #26
Site Team

Garage
I also had a 7.3 IDI and although I had less issues with it (basically bullet proof out of the box), that truck was rather gutless IMO. Maybe they made different sized IDI engines??? But even at that the 7.3 PSD doesn't jump out of the hole very well either. Still I'm not wanting to start threads thrashing a persons ride no matter what they drive. Just keep it civil and all will be well.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:27 PM   #27

Quote:
All I know iswhat I read on the 6.0 This was in the link in my post "The dark times began in 2003. Faced with more stringent emissions standards, Ford introduced its least reputable diesel engine to date – the 6.0L Power Stroke. This engine was so bad that Ford and Navistar eventually went to court over it. It featured a glut of emissions equipment never before used, such as an exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve. A brand-new variable geometry turbo was also installed, bumping power up to 325 hp and 570 lb-ft. Unfortunately, a series of wallet-draining problems – such as blown head gaskets and faulty EGR coolers – continuously haunted the 6.0L."

To be fair it was Ford that took the engine designed by Navistar International and bumped up the horsepower to compete with the Duramax and Cummins. Then they blamed the failures and warranty issues on Navistar.

One reason the vans don't have HG problems. At least not on the same scale as the trucks. Navistar also included a coolant filter which Ford removed.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
I also had a 7.3 IDI and although I had less issues with it (basically bullet proof out of the box), that truck was rather gutless IMO. Maybe they made different sized IDI engines??? But even at that the 7.3 PSD doesn't jump out of the hole very well either. Still I'm not wanting to start threads thrashing a persons ride no matter what they drive. Just keep it civil and all will be well.

Agreed, For my part I was just messing around.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:54 AM   #29

Agreed as well. For my part I like diesels so I am biased. However, I don't throw shade in gasser threads. I find the gasser-diesel threads tiresome.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
... I find the gasser-diesel threads tiresome.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Tags
6.0, 7.3, ford, smb