Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2009, 01:19 AM   #21

Re: Be honest - diesel engine noise versus gas engine

switchfoot, steve_382, cali-native, et. all - thx for responses. Interesting comment re: driving barefoot because i ALLWAYS take off shoes driving automatics on any long trips. If I get a diesel I will have to do noise reduction - I got that from all these responses. Also, it seems these vans are noisy anyway from road/tire/wind/ so the whole van prolly needs noise reduction material if there is extra money lying around to spend.

Biodiesel - is there any part you have to add to engine to use B20/B100, or is it ready to go as is?

MPG will bug me - I know its no better than 14 MPG highway and prolly 11 city with V10.
thx
warholic

warholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #22

It's a big van and it deserves a big noise.
Our second diesel with no regrets.
Just maybe wish the 7.3 wasn't regulated out of existence.
Harry
77 Orig Bronco in rebuild mode "uncut"
76 Orig Bronco rebuilt & driven weekly
71 Orig Bronco rebuilt & 4sale gots everything on it
Owned a jimmy once for about 6 months.
https://www.tropicalgardensofmaui.com
https://www.mauicabins.com
twitter @runnin6mpg
Mahukaawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #23

Drove both. I wear hearing aids do to nerve damage from pounding rivets in the Air Force. Even without these little amplifiers in my ears I can't tolerate loud noises. Noise was the ONLY thing that kept me from going diesel. Everyone says "you get used to it". Frankly, on a long trip, alot of noise.....from any source, just adds to fatigue. As Phil said, my V10 sounds like a Suburban. THAT is not a compliment!
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #24

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot

War- the diesel engine is ready to go as is with any commercially-available biodiesel. Ford only recommends B5 because they don't want warranty claims for pumps and/or injectors ruined by off-spec fuel. Running waste vegetable oil (WVO) is different and does require modifications to the fuel system (separate tank, filters, heaters, etc.).

Mileage for ours ranges from 14-16 highway, 10-12 city, and 9-11 towing 6,000 pounds. Our van is lighter than an SMB as we have a van conversion interior. These numbers are with 35" tires, smaller tires may yield 1-2 mpg more. The mpg numbers match what are two previous V8 gas vans got and they towed the same load almost as well.

I'm guilty of expecting a lot more from our diesel than we've received so far. To be fair, it only has 15K miles and is barely broke in. I'm hoping the mileage numbers will increase 1-2 mpg, but I'm not holding my breath. The engine has been trouble free except for a failed alternator (first month) and a slightly leaking rear main seal (kept spotting the driveway).

The diesel torque is very useful for towing and crawling over obstacles offroad. The sucker is incredibly loud in the still of night or early morning.... No sneaking in/out of camp or your neighborhood.

"Van envy" from passerbys is only heightened when they hear the diesel engine which is kind of cool by itself.

Like others have said, drive a gas and diesel model and see for yourself. Know that you can make the inside of either more quiet.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:11 AM   #25

Or when you're shut down in a parking lot and some yahoo goes, "Z'at thing a diesel?" you can go, "Yeah" and avoid further conversation spurred about the fact that they were wrong...

So, no closer to topic, with the 6.0L or the 7.3 I can throw B20, B100 and #2 in depending on what's available without doing anything else? I've got some thousands of warranty miles left and won't mess with it until then but the bio sounds great just from the smoother (less noisy) benefit.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #26

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot

Jage - absolutely nothing needed to run biodiesel. I've heard some of the older 7.3s may have issues with the fuel lines as biodiesel can attack some types of rubber. Newer vehicles have supposedly different fuel lines and are okay.

I used to run B20 exclusively and B100 occassionally (too expensive though). I've been running dino diesel lately since prices dropped and the biodiesel station is kind of out of the way. I really like the way the van runs on B20. The icing on the cake was a study of all kinds of diesel additives that found running a small amount of biodiesel provided more lubrication benefit than any of the fancy more expensive additives. I've only run an additive when we were using Mexican diesel in Baja. I'm not sure it was necessary, but it gave me some peace of mind.

I've got a lot of warranty left on my rig too and haven't given biodiesel a second thought. Ford will have to determine that you have run biodiesel >B5 and prove that the biodiesel fuel caused the problem. I'll take my chances.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #27

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

The ironic part of that is; The Mexican diesel, if it's clean, is probably easier on your engine and injectors than ULSD, as it most likely has more sulphur = more lubrication.
Bill
Old 08-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon
The ironic part of that is; The Mexican diesel, if it's clean, is probably easier on your engine and injectors than ULSD, as it most likely has more sulphur = more lubrication.
Bill
I guess since the hijack is on. I was told by Mechanics that you would not want to run the Mex diesel in any of the new diesels. New diesels are not designed run on the higher sulphur, or biodiesel. Older diesels pre 05-06 you can run anything in. Another way the oil companies keep the diesels dependant on thier product, and car companies lowering emissions.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #29

A real advantage to diesel, if we're going this far, is that you can make it in your garage.

Another option is natural gas. If you have gas at home, a small NG compressor can fill your vehicle overnight.

Or if you are living more rural, propane may be a better conversion for you.

http://www.roushperformance.com/propane.shtml The E Series is now available.

The NG and propane conversions can retain the gasoline capability and automatically switch to gasoline when NG or propane run out.

This is just cool. http://www.roush.com/Products_and_Solut ... hicle.aspx

http://blog.cleveland.com/business/2009 ... endly.html
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:08 AM   #30

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Actually, in the '08s at least, I believe you CAN run either Low Sulphur OR Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel. Having said that, I'm not sure that Mexico has even gotten to the LSD stage.
Bill