Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #1

Broken Down on the 101

I am typing this while waiting for a flat tow. We are heading up the 101 north to begin a camping trip (between Gaviota and Buellton) when i felt the van losing power and a higher pitch noise started while attempting to accelerate. It almost sound like Erving up from neutral and that the gears are not fully engaged. I have tried 2 wheel low and 4 wheel high, all with the same experience. The temperatures on the van did not change (oil and transmission) nor did the check engine light come on. I also cannot see anything out of the ordinary under the van. Any ideas/suggestions?

No clue where they are going to take us or what the plan is from here. If not a quick fix...it never is..we will have to find a dog friendly place for the night. On a brighter note, hope everyone is having a safe and happy holidays.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #2

Re: Broken Down on the 101

Good luck. Both times I've broken down away from home it has taken 5 days to get back on the road.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #3

It is looking like it is the turbo. Unfortunately I just had it replaced in September. I will post more when I know more.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Turbo, or did the intercooler hose start leaking boost pressure?

Buellton? The Ford dealer there seems good, though I only went there for spare wheel key lock. This was for our '02 F250 that we bought used and we didn't get the wheel key lock. The parts gut spent 30 minutes with us trying out all the different key locks until we found the right one.

Lots of trucks in the Buellton area, so they should have a good truck department.

I'm about 75 minutes away if there's anything I can do for you.

BTW, lots of winery tasting rooms in the area, but I recommend the Firestone Brewery tasting room. Good food too. A little down the road from the Marriott, if you are forced to stay at a hotel.

Herb
Old 12-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #5

What tow service are you using? Did he take you to the nearest Ford dealer for service? Good luck -- hope you're back on the road soon!
bratworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #6

Herb, thanks for the advice and the offer. We did end up at Buellton Ford and they seem like nice people. Unfortunately their diesel tech is on vacation this week, returning on Monday. We do have AAA but I did to end up towing. Instead we limped over the crest of the hill and rest of the way was downhill.

I am still not exactly sure what the problem is. I could not see any leaking fluids under the van or did the check engine light come on. The scanguage is not showing any error codes. We are staying at quality inn tonight with our dog and will probably rent a car back to San Diego tomorrow. We did get to the Firestone walker brewery for a couple of beers, so all was not lost.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #7

It could be as simple as a CAC (Charge air cooler) hose. It's one of the large 2 1/2" hoses that connects with the turbo. I had a very similar occurrence when I blew one of these blue soft rubber hoses. It made a lot of noise/whining and had no power. I was barely able to make 20mph. It didn't set any codes either. It was a quick, easy fix in about 15 minutes. They can also simply slip off of their metal counterpart tubing sections as well.

FWIW, mine also happened under acceleration.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:02 PM   #8

Most Powerstroke mechanics will use this simple upgrade to prevent future CAC-hose blow-offs.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #9

Yep, forgot to mention the hair spray trick! That's what I used as well.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
Site Team

I prefer my mechanics to wear a hairnet, rather than use hairspray.