Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #1

Broken Front Sway Bar

Took a bad put hole during my last trip to Yellowstone and broke the bar where it enters the bushing. Probably metal fatigue combined with a bad impact and a Camburg package that perhaps changes the OEM geometries.

Any chance anyone has the OEM part number, or one for sale in the So_Cal area.

Tkx

Edited to add vehicle info. 2006 E-350 6.0. 92626 area code. looking to PN to replace with new bar.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_E0272[1].jpg  

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:26 PM   #2

I'm assuming you have a 2wd Ford? If so, what year? I have the stock front swaybar off of my '98 E350 that I removed (and never missed) after having Camburg's stuff installed, should fit up to '07? You can have it if you want, and if you're willing to pick up from 93454, otherwise I'm sure most junkyards will have one.

edit: now that I can see your picture, yes, mine should work for you. I have the drop brackets too.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:32 PM   #3

Tks, original MSG corrected. I rather replace with a new one as I'm sure fatigue is a factor too. Cheers J
Old 09-14-2018, 05:29 AM   #4

That's an odd break, you don't hear of too many anti-sway bars breaking. Your local Ford dealer's parts counter will be able to source a new one for you, or provide the pn so you can locate one yourself.

Another option worth considering is to source a larger diameter front bar from the aftermarket, made for a E350-based motorhome. I've sourced aftermarket anti-sway bars from Helwig and Addco (for past vehicles) with good luck, good value, adequate quality.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:00 AM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
That does look like an odd break, almost like the bar was worn down by metal contact, how’s the bushing look? Either way, I’d replace those too with a polyurethane. Those bushings often wallow out, leaving you with pretty sloppy handling.
I ended up having a larger (I think helwig) sway bar mounted up with end links (now with disconnects).
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:27 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
Another option worth considering is to source a larger diameter front bar from the aftermarket, made for a E350-based motorhome. I've sourced aftermarket anti-sway bars from Helwig and Addco (for past vehicles) with good luck, good value, adequate quality.
That is an unusual break not only because its the first one I've ever seen or read about plus most times the factory bushings have worn to the point the front sway bar isn't even engaging in the I-Beam any longer.

Long time fan of Hellwig stuff, for 2WD vans its one of the best out there. Far far superior to the OEM version due its mounting scheme and different sizes which directly relate to stiffness.

I recently installed a Hellwig p/n 7008 on my 2005 E350 EB---this is/was intended for a short wheelbase motorhome, VERY stout and calms the front end down quite well. The companion rear bar is p/n 7085. Neither part is cheap, they've heavy as hell but for any sort of firm ride control they're the best, IMHO anyway.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #7

Another vote for Hellwig....Brings your van up to the last gen front end sway bar idea from Ford. Eliminates the lurch, sway from worn (yours look Very worn) bushings....
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:59 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the feedback and interest!

Already having custom leafs, re-valved fox all around and a rear Hellwig (and frankly some of the pictures posted on this forum about flipped vans) makes me want to have a bit of front lateral flexing.

And I was surprised how more the vehicle flexed with the broken OEM bar; drove it broken 1k Miles from Yellowstone and had a few scary cross-wind events.

Ford sold me the new OEM replacement for $56, far less that I expected. P/N 5482 drawing of the OEM 2006 DSL front end posted below.

The root cause revealed itself during replacement (see pic), the result of reversed front drop Camburg extensions moving one side of the bar ~ 1" too much to the back. Probably my mistake when I upgraded the bushings last year. On inspection the busing still had a tight fit with the new bar so decided not to replace them, getting them out is a PITA.

In short for those with the Camburg pkg, the opening of the front drops of the sway bars should face the driver side and not the center of the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0276[1].jpg   IMG_E0277[1].jpg  
Old 09-23-2018, 01:36 PM   #9

I love it when I track down the cause of the failure, no matter who or what caused it.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:35 AM   #10
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
I love it when I track down the cause of the failure, no matter who or what caused it.
Same here---and its great sharing that info so others can avoid the same situation or failure if possible.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote