Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #1

Bullet Proof Diesel Engine Oil Cooler and Aluminess Bumper

Right now I have neither but am leaning to to BPD cooler as part of my ongoing engine reliability upgrade. I've been holding the option open to put an Aluminess bumper on the front but I seem to remember from a couple of years ago that this combo wasn't possible. I wonder if anything has changed. I live in San Diego so I can work with Aluminess, in fact I just talked with Kenny there but this is before I looked at the BPD installation instructions. It looks like the BPD oil cooler bolts to the stock bumper and it is then reinstalled. Currently if I do this the Alum. bumper would be later, I need to get my P0299 code cleared (turbo under boost) and order restored to my 6.0 universe.

Rather than start another thread I have the AMSOIL oil bypass. Has anyone ever heard about keeping that with BPD remote oil cooler. It looks completely incompatible. The BDP heat exchanger (at the bumper) has an extra port but it is so far away from the filters. I'll check with BPD too but I think I know the answer. I just stocked up with $250 worth of filters too.

Thanks for any comments
Pat

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #2

Re: Bullet Proof Diesel Engine Oil Cooler and Aluminess Bump

Looking at the install instructions, I don't really see why it would conflict with an Aluminess.

I also think you could just use the F-series version by lowering or relocating the stock transmission cooler (this is exactly where the PBD cooler mounts on the pickups).
Old 10-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #3

Their van kit is several hundred dollars more expensive so I would wonder what other differences exist too. (Other than a smaller market)

The current shop owner / mechanic I'm getting an estimate from considers this the most important problem to solve. He drives a 6.0 PU.

It would be nice to monitor other things on the Scan Gauge other than EOT & FCW!
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #4

The van kit uses the van oil lines down to the driver's side, rear of the engine and mounts a filter there, then two more steel lines forward to the front of the radiator for the cooler. The oil cooler looks to mount where the Aluminess bumper blocks airflow to the radiator. It doesn't look like the Amsoil dual filter setup is going to work with it.

I'm looking at that conversion also, but haven't made up my mind. It may be possible to use a pickup kit and find a way to route the oil lines to the front and then use the dual filter parts, etc. You would need custom length hoses, but that is fairly easy to deal with - I had to make custom length hoses to install my dual filter setup.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
The van kit uses the van oil lines down to the driver's side, rear of the engine and mounts a filter there, then two more steel lines forward to the front of the radiator for the cooler. The oil cooler looks to mount where the Aluminess bumper blocks airflow to the radiator. It doesn't look like the Amsoil dual filter setup is going to work with it.

I'm looking at that conversion also, but haven't made up my mind. It may be possible to use a pickup kit and find a way to route the oil lines to the front and then use the dual filter parts, etc. You would need custom length hoses, but that is fairly easy to deal with - I had to make custom length hoses to install my dual filter setup.

Mike
i've got the 2WD 6.0 van, with the BPD oil cooler. i got one of the first units they put
out for the van, so it's been a year and a half.

the heat exchanger sits right behind the opening in the stock steel bumper,
so if you are running an aftermarket bumper without air intakes, what i'd do
is mount it behind the bumper, and fit a couple muffin fans on either side to
pull air and force it thru the cooler...

i've got a seatrab cooler on my trans am, and its buried behind the front fender with
no direct airflow, and the fan forcing air thru it dissipates the heat over the
surface of the fender and wheel well insert, and it works fine.

as mentioned, there are significant differences between F and E series BPD installs.
IMO trying to make the F fit won't be a good choice. it's a LOT different than the E.

on a positive note, i've had nothing but a good experience with the cooler. i weigh
in at 10,500#, and when i've been in real slow high heat hard pulls, what happens
is the trans starts getting hot and opens the t stat on the trans cooler at about 175.
the trans temp immediately goes to match the coolant temperature, and trans temp,
oil temp, and coolant temp all end up within a degree of each other.

the hottest all of it has ever been was a brief peak at 206 for about five minutes, once.
that was with a rolling weight of 15,000# climbing up two lane switchbacks to julian,
calif. behind a motor home at about 25 MPH.

my experience with what oil works best for me in this engine is rotella T6, with a filter
change and oil change every 5k miles. the filter BPD uses is a huge spin on that isn't
very expensive if you buy them off the net in boxes of six. i have never had stiction
with the turbo, or injector issues. take it for what it's worth.
Fulthrotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulthrotl
i've got the 2WD 6.0 van, with the BPD oil cooler. i got one of the first units they put
out for the van, so it's been a year and a half.
I now have a shop estimate for a bunch of 6.0 work that includes the oil cooler install. I don't have a separate line item for it but if you know of what your oil cooler install labor cost was I'd be interested.

Thank you

Pat
Old 10-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #7

OK - my van is in a local diesel shop, it is getting
  • a BPD remote oil cooler with an attempt to integrate it with the existing AMSOIL bypass filter [/*:m:1tjtqybc]
  • a BDP water pump[/*:m:1tjtqybc]
  • a turbo rebuild with a Wicked Wheel compressor upgrade[/*:m:1tjtqybc]
  • all turbo upgrade components[/*:m:1tjtqybc]
  • coolant flush (FMC VC-7-B replacement) [/*:m:1tjtqybc]
  • add a coolant filter [/*:m:1tjtqybc]
  • this shop recommends Shell T-6[/*:m:1tjtqybc]
  • a custom tune to complement the turbo enhancement with emphasis on some low end response[/*:m:1tjtqybc]
  • belt if need[/*:m:1tjtqybc]

Obviously there is no money left for an Aluminess front bumper!

a couple of interesting points.

I have the round EGR cooler and failures are very rare on that and it is not currently on the replacement list. It doesn't have the radiator fins like the square one does.

For the last 4 weeks I've been driving around town with a P0299 turbo under-boost code. Since the only thing affected was reduced economy I decided to do a desert camping run (San Diego to Ocotillo / Seco del Diablo). I pushed it hard both going and returning (6% grade?) and on the return 'descent' back into San Diego the CEL cleared. You really do have to work these engines to keep that turbo happy.

I'll be sure to get back with results and any shop recommendations for my fellow San Diegoens.

Pat
Old 10-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulthrotl

the hottest all of it has ever been was a brief peak at 206 for about five minutes, once.
that was with a rolling weight of 15,000# climbing up two lane switchbacks to julian,
calif. behind a motor home at about 25 MPH.
Last Sunday my less than 9000# van hit 234 oil temp on a 90 degree day along westbound I-8 on the climb to Jacumba, not towing, going maybe 70 and allowing Duramax's pulling toy haulers to pass me!
Old 10-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #9

I'm curious how many miles are on your rig and if you have been monitoring the delta between EOT and ECT?

Anyway, looks like you are well on your way and you've been doing the requisite research. The BPD water pump is sweet. The stock water pump apparently doesn't have a high failure rate despite the plastic impellers but I might pick one up just in case.

Some other things that you probably already know or your mechanic should know: updated STC fitting, HPOP screen, dummy plugs, stand pipes, turbo feed and return lines are all parts that were re-designed and updated by Ford. These are all items I plan on installing when I eventually do the oil cooler job as most of them are easily accessed during this process.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:20 AM   #10

67500 miles right now. This shop appears to know the 6.0 quite well and more importantly the differences between the early 2003 to 2004.25 that I have and the later models. For instance as told to me the STC fitting was not a problem until it was changed around 2005. That plus not recommending the BPD EGR cooler until he inspected it gives me some confidence we aren't just throwing parts at it.

As to your question about delta's I've had the scan gauge for about 2 years. I have a really hard time distinguishing a pattern. Five to twenty degrees seems to be limits with around 10 - 15 being my norm. Even with that 234 degree oil temp the delta was only like 12 or so.

Even so I feel I should have done some of this stuff earlier. The whole purpose of all this is to have some confidence in the vehicle to get you back home. I'm not an extreme off-roader but I have gone places that would be tough to recover a disabled vehicle from.