Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2014, 10:20 PM   #21

Re: Bullet proof question (again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
OK, I know this has been brought up before but I'm at 100K on my 2006 PSD and am having some engine work done so I'm ready to throw some bullet proof stuff into the deal while they're under the hood.

Those of you who have done or have info on the best parts/manufactures, upgrades, suggestions, I'm all ears.

Zylstra's below Fresno is doing the work. I don't plan on a full upgrade (no plans on pulling the heads) or even doing the radiator/water pump as both are fairly new. Already have a high amp alternator, new engine wire harness and HV FICM. I'm also planning to stay with Ford gold coolant per Zylstra's suggestion. Mistake?

This is on the plate:
New Bullet proof EGR
New upgraded Ford oil cooler.
Cold air Box...a Zylstra custom install.
Upgraded stage 1 vdt turbo
intake kit
Coolant filter and flush.
New upgraded air dog II fuel pump and remote filter.

The water pump is something I'd consider if need be.

Thanks for any help...I'm already between 6 and 8 grand as an estimate but they are also doing some other custom work. I just want the best parts within reason.

Thanks
Dave
Dave,
I turned 100k in our SMB about two hours ago heading north on 395. Wife, kids, dogs and I had a mini celebration.

I had zylstra do the cold air intake box and I would not do that again. The stock intake on the vans for the 6.0 is just fine and the modified intake causes me to throw a lot of false codes. They appear for a week and then go away. A well known problem with intake mods.

Zyltstra did a 4 inch exhaust and that did help keep temps down a bit a perhaps give a bit more power.

I am very reluctant to touch my engine because it runs great and I am fearful of messing something up given how complex it is to pull the motor on a van. My bell housing has had a drop or two of oil since the day I drove it home. No biggie, just an occasional drop on the driveway.

Good luck with the upgrades.

Rob

Old 08-14-2014, 10:23 PM   #22
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Quote:
After this I'm done putting money into my SMB
Hahahhahahaha.
Actually waiting for Mac to reply being those are his words

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH

I'm guessing there is more to this story

A mild economy tune is 65rwhp. If you had a race tune written then I can see you blowing the heads. Did the EGR cooler go first? Anyhow, I'm no expert but a non-OEM turbo is going to need some tuning to work properly. It doesn't have to have added HP. And you could have it turn the EGR off. It's worth it just for the improved shift points. IMO.
My turbo was froze up and was beyond salvage. I did the new turbo, BPD oil cooler, EGR cooler delete (with a new cooler), Coolant filter, BDP water pump, all the recommended new parts and the stand pipes (wasted a grand there since the engine was pulled a few months later). I asked for some more "pep" and got the SCT tuner and a program that screamed! I tried to play it cool but sometimes you just have to poke it a bit like when some dip wad is pushing you. Who knows? Did I accelerate failure - probably, was it going to fail anyway - probably. Didn't Mike just replace his heads and we know he is an easy driver? I had the shop adjust the program for less smoke and had the EGR delete removed as part of the rebuild just in case I need to use the OEM program for smog. Does anyone understand HPR (horsepower) on the scan gauge? I watched it go over 400 on a hard hill acceleration. Obviously not RWHP but some ponies are chomping the bit under that cover. My shop is putting in a dyno... maybe I'll talk to him about a read out on the next oil & turbo change. I tend to lump those two as regular maintenance items!

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:12 PM   #24
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
Quote:
OK, I know this has been brought up before but I'm at 100K on my 2006 PSD and am having some engine work done so I'm ready to throw some bullet proof stuff into the deal while they're under the hood.

Those of you who have done or have info on the best parts/manufactures, upgrades, suggestions, I'm all ears.

Zylstra's below Fresno is doing the work. I don't plan on a full upgrade (no plans on pulling the heads) or even doing the radiator/water pump as both are fairly new. Already have a high amp alternator, new engine wire harness and HV FICM. I'm also planning to stay with Ford gold coolant per Zylstra's suggestion. Mistake?

This is on the plate:
New Bullet proof EGR
intake kit

Thanks for any help...I'm already between 6 and 8 grand as an estimate but they are also doing some other custom work. I just want the best parts within reason.

Thanks
Dave
Dave,
I turned 100k in our SMB about two hours ago heading north on 395. Wife, kids, dogs and I had a mini celebration.

I had zylstra do the cold air intake box and I would not do that again. The stock intake on the vans for the 6.0 is just fine and the modified intake causes me to throw a lot of false codes. They appear for a week and then go away. A well known problem with intake mods.

Zyltstra did a 4 inch exhaust and that did help keep temps down a bit a perhaps give a bit more power.

I am very reluctant to touch my engine because it runs great and I am fearful of messing something up given how complex it is to pull the motor on a van. My bell housing has had a drop or two of oil since the day I drove it home. No biggie, just an occasional drop on the driveway.

Rob
Interesting. I know they were have problems with the non paper element filter air box but I thought they got that fixed. I do not like the K&N type filters anyway. But If you have the newer paper element version and are having issues with it Rob, I'll stay clear of it. It's a big chunk of change and the last thing I want is a code thrower.

My main goal is the oil cooler, BP-EGR cooler, flush, and coolant filter. I've yet to have a turbo issue. I'm really not after more HP. They did give me a quote on a improved stock turbo. I just want to install something that has a better record over a stock model.

Thanks

Old 08-15-2014, 07:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
Quote:

This is on the plate:
New Bullet proof EGR
intake kit

Thanks
Dave
Dave,

Rob
Interesting. I know they were have problems with the non paper element filter air box but I thought they got that fixed. I do not like the K&N type filters anyway. But If you have the newer paper element version and are having issues with it Rob, I'll stay clear of it. It's a big chunk of change and the last thing I want is a code thrower.

My main goal is the oil cooler, BP-EGR cooler, flush, and coolant filter. I've yet to have a turbo issue. I'm really not after more HP. They did give me a quote on a improved stock turbo. I just want to install something that has a better record over a stock model.

Thanks
With Zylstras intake I am using an Airraid non pre oiled filter. It is big and appears very well made. That said, the MAF sensors are not calibrated for the zylstra intake and I get codes related to abnormal airflow pretty often. I cannot recall the specific code and it never effects how the motor performs. My mechanic in SoCal said it is common and no big deal, but that the air intake on the 6.0 vans is not really a weak spot so there isn't much value in spending $$$ to fix a non problem.

Good luck

R
Old 08-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #26

From reading the diesel forums it appears most of the horsepower guys don't modify the air intake unless they are seriously advancing the timing and installing bigger injectors. Otherwise, it appears the air intake is amply designed.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage

It's what I love about this forum...I'll be saving money and reducing future headaches.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #28

Quote:
It's what I love about this forum...I'll be saving money and reducing future headaches.
Now that has to be the first time someone has accused this site of SAVING him some money!

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #29
Site Team

Garage

Pat, what turbo did you go with? Seems like somebody posted that there are units that tolerate heat and shutdown better.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Pat, what turbo did you go with? Seems like somebody posted that there are units that tolerate heat and shutdown better.
It was a "stock" FMC turbo ($1200), parts list call it a "04-11 turbo assembly" with the addition of a Wicked Wheel compressor wheel ($358). The shop preferred doing this over the PowerMax.

I never heard about a turbo with a better shutdown profile. I do hope that a small side benefit of my normally 190 - 195 oil now from the BPD oil cooler allows a bit more heat to be removed during my pre shut off idle. Also isn't there a system that pumps oil after shut down for a time?
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote