Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #21

Re: BULLETPROOF 6.0; 1. RELIABILITY 2. EFFICIENCY 3. PERFORM

Bump for an update please

And I'm also curious how the 4" from the turbo back into the space where a 3" downpipe was and how you solved the downpipe's interference with the doghouse?

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Bump for an update please

And I'm also curious how the 4" from the turbo back into the space where a 3" downpipe was and how you solved the downpipe's interference with the doghouse?
The downpipe was already upgraded by Salem Kroger when I got the van. I believe it is a modified f-series downpipe. The work being done now is from there back.
I am going to take pictures of it all when I get it back (still waiting!)

Unfortunately, the BPD radiator is NOT going to work out after all, so I am going with a stock replacement. On a positive note though, Jason who is doing the work for me at Devil Mountain Diesel, is following the Badger per my request by replacing the tranny cooler with the Tru-max 40K and using the old tranny cooler for the power steering cooler. Very happy about that upgrade. Especially for slow, hot ascents and descents in 4x.
In response to the PM's........Pictures coming next week, PROMISE!
khalilsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:04 PM   #23

Garage

Would it make sense to apply sound deadening material (i.e. Dynamat) to the engine bay while the engine is out? It seems like a lot of engine noise reverberates through the firewall and floorboards.

I'm thinking of doing it when (notice I didn't say if...) I have my 6.0 rebuilt.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
Would it make sense to apply sound deadening material (i.e. Dynamat) to the engine bay while the engine is out? It seems like a lot of engine noise reverberates through the firewall and floorboards.

I'm thinking of doing it when (notice I didn't say if...) I have my 6.0 rebuilt.
Interesting you should ask!!! I was just ordering some materials for my sound deadening project which is first on the list as soon as I pick it up. The answer to your question is yes, but there's not much more you can do with the motor out than when the motor is in. The clearances of the motor to the body and frame are so tight that adding material where it counts is not that feasible, especially with the heat constraints of the materials used for sound deadening.

You can put some CLD tiles (such as dynamat, b quiet, damplifier etc) on the firewall, but most of this is accessible when the motor is in place, with the doghouse off and and any material covering the floor removed. In other words you can do your sound deadening more appropriately from cab side of the firewall rather than the engine side. If you want to do it right you would use CLD (Constraint Layer Vibration Damper) tiles, CCF (closed cell foam) and then MLV (mass loaded vinyl barriers). This is what I am planning to do to the firewall and floor (up to just behind the front seats), doghouse, center console on top of doghouse and both front doors. This will be a separate thread I hope to start at some point.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #25

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

IMnsHO, if you want your PSD to run cooler, blocking the radiator with bigger hot things--ie bigger transmission coolers-- is not the way to go. In my award winning expose: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=8542 I moved the cooler out from in front of the AC condensor, intercooler and, finally, the radiator. Along with a scoop under the front bumper and hood vents, this made a huge improvement. Transmission temp never gets over 180F, the engine runs cooler and cools off very quickly; after pulling a grade for instance.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:22 PM   #26

Did you get the 4 phase or 7 phase FICM from BPD? I like the idea of the redundant circuits but the 48 V version is probably ample, especially if you have your old one as a spare. You might want to consider sending the logic board in to have it tuned as well as whatever custom PCM tune you're thinking of getting.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #27
Site Team

If any of you remove the factory 6.0L trans cooler for an aftermarket one, you can probably sell your old one to the 7.3L crowd. It's a fairly standard upgrade to the 7.3L transmission to install a 6.0L trans cooler instead.

Herb
Old 01-31-2013, 09:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
IMnsHO, if you want your PSD to run cooler, blocking the radiator with bigger hot things--ie bigger transmission coolers-- is not the way to go. In my award winning expose: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=8542 I moved the cooler out from in front of the AC condensor, intercooler and, finally, the radiator. Along with a scoop under the front bumper and hood vents, this made a huge improvement. Transmission temp never gets over 180F, the engine runs cooler and cools off very quickly; after pulling a grade for instance.

Z
I hear your point about blocking the radiator with a bigger tranny cooler and ditching the old power steering cooler. And I agree with you. My response to that is I will surely get much lower tranny and power steering fluid temps at any speed, without a whole lot of customization, and with an added fan, I will get the best of both worlds, or at least the common ground. I like your idea of the scoop, but I don't think I will ever need much more air flow when the scoop would be most effective. I could se the scoop working best for trailing large loads at speed on grades. The work you did is fantastic. I have a different bumper than you or I may consider something similar. I will have full monitoring of my temps and will let you know what they are like in all different situations; trailering, off-roading, etc. Thanks ZETA!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Did you get the 4 phase or 7 phase FICM from BPD? I like the idea of the redundant circuits but the 48 V version is probably ample, especially if you have your old one as a spare. You might want to consider sending the logic board in to have it tuned as well as whatever custom PCM tune you're thinking of getting.
Just as you said, I have a spare now, going with the 4 phase.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalilsc
Unfortunately, the BPD radiator is NOT going to work out after all, so I am going with a stock replacement. On a positive note though, Jason who is doing the work for me at Devil Mountain Diesel, is following the Badger per my request by replacing the tranny cooler with the Tru-max 40K and using the old tranny cooler for the power steering cooler. Very happy about that upgrade. Especially for slow, hot ascents and descents in 4x.
In response to the PM's........Pictures coming next week, PROMISE!
I believe Performance makes the radiator for BPD. They show an aluminum option for my 2005 psd van.
https://shop.performanceradiator.com/in ... ct_id=5296

It's also quite a bit cheaper. No surprise there.