Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #51

Re: BULLETPROOF 6.0; 1. RELIABILITY 2. EFFICIENCY 3. PERFORM

Awesome! I'm still interested to hear how you squeezed the 4" turbo back exhaust in there but well played sir.

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #52
Site Team

Garage

Engine envy I'm already saving my pennies

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #53

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Engine envy I'm already saving my pennies
Me too.

Any noticeable increase in exhaust smoke? Not allowed in CA I understand.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #54

Please keep us in the loop and let us know how things hold up long-term.

And pics would be nice

I'm starting to think my next rig may be a 6.0 after-all. I'm thinking of building a toter-home out of a shuttle bus, and the 6.0s are going for way cheaper than V10s right now in that application. I may pick a 7.3L but I actually like the 6.0 better when its running, and the 7.3Ls come with a price premium. And they leak. Always.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #55

After following this thread and reading about all the mods some folks have done, and the money that takes, has anyone considered replacing the 6.0 with a V-10? Anyone have an estimate for what that would cost? Pros and cons?
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotearms
After following this thread and reading about all the mods some folks have done, and the money that takes, has anyone considered replacing the 6.0 with a V-10? Anyone have an estimate for what that would cost? Pros and cons?
You mean after it goes 300,000 miles?

80,000 miles on my 6.0 and I haven't had to do anything except replace the AC compressor and alternator.

On the internet the bad stories outweigh the happy stories 100:1 because nobody posts when things work fine. That said, a diesel is more expensive to maintain. But there's plenty of diesel vs gasser threads and no need to hyjack this one.

Now a Cummins swap. That might be interesting.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #57

The mods discussed in this thread are something I'd certainly consider if my 6.0pds started to exhibit any of the typical signs of trouble.

For now, I just monitor EOT, ECT, TFT with the scanguage and drive the motor at full power often.

Maybe I'm just lucky; but so far, so good.

At 85k, my 6.0psd has never let me down and runs better than ever.

If you search "6.0psd longevity" on some of the diesel forums, you'll find many owners who mention the common problems. But there are also many with 200+k miles on entirely stock motors that have had zero trouble.

R
Old 02-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #58

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
BULLETPROOF 6.0; 1. RELIABILITY 2. EFFICIENCY 3. PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
IMnsHO, if you want your PSD to run cooler, blocking the radiator with bigger hot things--ie bigger transmission coolers-- is not the way to go. In my award winning expose: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=8542 I moved the cooler out from in front of the AC condensor, intercooler and, finally, the radiator. Along with a scoop under the front bumper and hood vents, this made a huge improvement. Transmission temp never gets over 180F, the engine runs cooler and cools off very quickly; after pulling a grade for instance.

Z

This is a new Raptor with the hood up. Notice how little is in front of the cooling pack (radiator, intercooler, condensor, trans cooler). This is how you get them to run cooler.

Z
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362030449.956107.jpg  

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #59

Bump for an update now that you should have some miles on all the mods you had done.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #60

Hey Phil, hey guys-

Yes, an update is in tall order;
First off, the power is incredible in my van. I never thought in a million years my rig would be this capable. It pulls up grades at 75-80 mph in overdrive without breaking a sweat. It's a completely different experience now. I do have to watch my EGTs, but that's easy enough, I just don't lug the motor in overdrive- that seems to be the only time I have to keep an eye on the gauge.

MY TEMPS; Please remember my tune creates a lot more heat than stock.
1) My trans temps while towing and climbing grades or when on steep terrain in the middle of summer were still not where I wanted them to be. I installed a second, aux trans cooler with a thermostatically controlled fan- works great. Even when pulling a 7000lb trailer up to Truckee and over to Reno.

2) My oil temps, were climbing as well under slow moving climbs, I installed two small 8" fans on my oil cooler and that took care of it. My oil never gets above 225* in the most serious weather and conditions and I put my rig through it. However, recently Bullet Proof Diesel came out with a larger oil cooler for the F-550s and such and that's what I would recommend now.

3) Lastly, I sent a (switched from the dash) ground signal to the royal blue wire on the radiator fan's wring harness. This activates the rad fan at 100% whenever I want. This is a 30-60 minute modification that should be the very first thing anyone does to cool their van. The fan is incredibly powerful and you can turn it on whenever you want, before grades to get a head start on temps, while idling to keep your AC running cool in 100*+ weather etc. It also has the added advantage to dropping your trans temps MORE THAN ANYTHING I've tried or seen. Far better than the aux cooler I added and from what I've heard the deeper tranny pan is a waste of money.

One thing I should note, I did cut the cheek vents into the quarter panels and when that rad fan turns on the heat POURS out the vents. I don't know how the fan would do without them, but surely lots and lots of heat still escapes regardless!
In conclusion, do the override switch to your rad fan as the very first mod to try and reduce temps, then go from there.

Let me know your experiences as well,

Khalil
khalilsc is offline   Reply With Quote