Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #1

BULLETPROOF 6.0; 1. RELIABILITY 2. EFFICIENCY 3. PERFORMANCE

I have a Salem Kroger 4x4 van Ive been through the ringer (mostly under warranty), but now I have 60,000 on the van and I really want to keep it. If you have to ask all the issues I have had, then just google 6.0 issues or try this link which covers the basics:http://performancewise.net/ford/ford...roke-problems/, thank you JoeH!
MY GOAL: I want to take it wherever the heck it will go, tow moderate loads, increase fuel economy and performance (could not believe what dogs these things were the first time I got behind the wheel) and most of all dependability. I have a family and if we were to be stranded in Baja, then it was never worth buying the van in the first place. I tried to address all known issues with the 6 liter. I do carry some basic spare parts as well.
Some of this work has been completed previously, some of it being finished now:
1. Bulletproof Diesel head gasket kit with ARP studs
2. Bulletproof Diesel oil cooler and egr cooler
3. Bulletproof Diesel FICM, Update: 48V 4 phase
4. Bulletproof Diesel all aluminum radiator Update: https://shop.performanceradiator.com/in ... ct_id=5296
5. Bulletproof Diesel billet water pump
6. Bat Mo Wheel Turbo compressor wheel, updated oil downtube
7. MBRP Turbo back 4 inch exhaust
8. Tru-Cool Max 40K tranny cooler
9. Updated Ford fuel regulator kit with blue spring
10. 200 amp alternator
11. Edge insight monitor with EGT probe
12. SCT flash programmer, custom tunes
13. Update: Using old tranny cooler for power steering cooler
My next upgrade will be Deaver leaf springs in the rear to try and improve the ride. She rides a bit like a bull. I do not want to have them made remotely and shipped so I have to plan a trip.
This work will be completed this weekend, if any of you are curious about the performance over my previous stock setup I'll keep you posted. I will be able to monitor my temps, including EGTs now on the street, off-road and towing. Looking forward to driving her for a long time coming! Ohhh the things we do!
LETS FACE IT, WE WERE ALL SOLD THAT THESE WERE DO ANYTHING GO ANYWHERE VEHICLES AND AS FOR THE 6.0, THAT IS NOT THE CASE UNLESS AT THE VERY LEAST YOU ADDRESS THE POOR DESIGN OF THE OIL COOLER AND EGR COOLER.

khalilsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #2

Re: BULLETPROOF 6.0; 1. RELIABILITY 2. EFFICIENCY 3. PERFORM

I'm sure more folks more knowledgable than me will chime in but have you checked to see if the BPD radiator and waterpump will fit an E series? The turbo back exhaust upgrade could also be problematic and may require some custom bending.

And you do know the vans are tuned for less HP and generate less heat? Thus, they are not prone to head gasket failure which is typically the result of egr cooler failure or a super aggressive PCM tune that advances the timing for more HP. But it sounds like you've already got all the parts and it's full speed ahead? Where does BPD recommend installation of the external radiator for the oil cooler if you have a beefy front bumper like the aluminess? I've been collecting parts for an EGR delete and much of what you describe but I'll be sticking with the OEM oil cooler. I'm not convinced the external is the way to go on these vans.

The BPD water pump looks killer. Consider me subscribed!!
I love threads like this
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #3

Quote:
but I'll be sticking with the OEM oil cooler.
If I end up with a 6.0 someday (possible.... you can find them for less than a V10 now) I'll be dumping the stock oil cooler first thing. Short of preventatively replacing it every 60,000 there's no way around that thing failing. Yes, annual coolant flushes and coolant filter will allow more time between failures, but it'll happen. I wouldn't want that to ruin my trip. And.... my V10 should have no problem making it to 400k (maybe 500k I hope). If I'm going to stick any money into a newer van, it better last just as long.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #4

khalilsc - That's more or less what I recommend to folks who ask me what they should do. Great work! I do think the stock head bolts are fine in the E-series at stock power levels, as long as all the other problems are addressed which can cause fluid ingestion.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #5

BTW - EGR deletes can be tricky now. Nobody that I can find sells a programmer anymore capable of disabling EGR, which means it will trip the Check Engine light. EGR compliance is built into all of the newer re-flashes since about '08, and those flashes do actually help the vans work better (like injector inductive heating).
Old 01-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #6

Thanks for listening you guys! Let me start by saying I am not a qualified mechanic to do ALL this work. Much of the work is being done by Devil Mountain Diesel in Walnut Creek. That said:

To JoeH:
1. BPD Radiator and h2o pump indeed fit.
2. Re: head gasket: Yes, the Vans 6.0l is de-tuned and generates less heat, but that does not mean they run cooler, hence why I opted for the upgraded radiator, exhaust, turbo, h20 pump etc. Under normal driving conditions, the heads shouldn't be an issue, but can be an issue depending on how the van is used (towing etc). Due to the massive dis-assembly already taking place, doing the heads now will save an arm and a leg should they fail later. Then, there is the opportunity to re-tune the motor to be much more powerful and efficient, that was just too darn hard or me to resist. Of course, I will have to keep an eye on the Edge Monitor on all the vitals. To do the head gaskets/APR studs now means I don't ever have to think about them again and I can play with custom tunes (without worry) that will tremendously add to the performance of the van that I always thought it should have. I don't expect a drag racer, but at least as much horsepower as stock F series trucks. And with how many other issues I've already had, I didn't want to chance it. IMO this was the best time for me to do the heads.
3. Re: 4" turbo back exhaust, yes there is some customization, but well worth the a extra flow- can send pics next week.
4. The OEM oil cooler is garbage for a number of reasons, rather than replacing it I decided to be done with it for good. If you would like more details on the install I can provide pics and descriptions next week.
carringb:
Fully agree on the EGR deletes, not an option really, more of a band-aid that don't really stick anyway.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #7

Yes, please post updates and pics From the looks of your gallery it would appear you are well on your way. Besides the water pump that all aluminum radiator is pretty sweet as well.

You're going with OEM head gaskets and not Black Oynx I hope? WRT to a egr delete being a bandaid I disagree. Emissions standards not withstanding why recirculate soot back into the intake and choke the engine and dirty the oil if you don't have to? Oil on these rigs is liquid gold.

I researched exhaust upgrades but the only kits I could find was for the 7.3. So, I killed the Kitty and replaced it with a straight pipe and a high flow muffler. Knowing I was going to go the EGR delet route in the near future I had Eric at Innovative Diesel write me a custom van tune with both PCM and TCM tuning. The file adds about 65rwhp and also turns off the egr flow for less heat. Because of these mods the exhaust measured with a pyrometer is 150 to 200 degrees less than what it was stock. The van has plenty of giddy-up and the mileage is improved 1.0 to 2 mpg at 2000 rpm without a head wind.

Daily updates please!
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Yes, please post updates and pics From the looks of your gallery it would appear you are well on your way. Besides the water pump that all aluminum radiator is pretty sweet as well.

You're going with OEM head gaskets and not Black Oynx I hope? WRT to a egr delete being a bandaid I disagree. Emissions standards not withstanding why recirculate soot back into the intake and choke the engine and dirty the oil if you don't have to? Oil on these rigs is liquid gold.

I researched exhaust upgrades but the only kits I could find was for the 7.3. So, I killed the Kitty and replaced it with a straight pipe and a high flow muffler. Knowing I was going to go the EGR delet route in the near future I had Eric at Innovative Diesel write me a custom van tune with both PCM and TCM tuning. The file adds about 65rwhp and also turns off the egr flow for less heat. Because of these mods the exhaust measured with a pyrometer is 150 to 200 degrees less than what it was stock. The van has plenty of giddy-up and the mileage is improved 1.0 to 2 mpg at 2000 rpm without a head wind.

Daily updates please!
This is the head gasket kit that went in: http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/Head_G ... 206.0l.htm
Re the EGR delete, my issue is that 1. it's no legal in CA, 2. I was unable to find a tuner that could promise me no check engine light with the latest Ford flash. So I surmised that I would be potentially causing myself a future headache. The Bulletproof diesel EGR system is not cheap but it's time tested and guaranteed for life.
Great news for you on your new tune; more power, better mileage. The world rarely works like that What does 65 more horse feel like to you? I'm hoping to not only have more power but a much quicker spool up on the turbo from the BatMoWheel and higher flow. The stock lag is unacceptable IMO. Will keep yah posted.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #9

Also, if you do an EGR delete to avoid EGR cooler problems, you still aren't addressing the oil cooler flaw. The BPD kit is the only real oil cooler fix ,and once you do that you won't be causing EGR cooler problems anymore.

Quote:
The stock lag is unacceptable IMO. Will keep yah posted.
You shouldn't have much turbo lag if the turbo vanes are moving properly. Are you sure the rest of the turbo is in good condition? I send 6.0 turbos to Bell Turbo. They have a clearancing procedure that prevents stiction.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #10

khalilsc - Nice mods. I'm assuming that if you are using Devil Mountain Diesel, you live in the area. I'd love to check it out when your done if you don't mind. I'm a bit further south on 680.

Will also be curious what you think of DMD after they work on your van. I was expecting to start using Left Coast Diesel for any needs now that I'm out of warranty. Luckily, I haven't needed anything major in a while (now I just jinxed it).

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote