Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2007, 09:36 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC
What's the difference between the Quigley and the SMB 4X4? One superior to the other in terms of parts, construction, etc.? SMB 4X4 is full time, while Quigley is part time, correct? I understand that Quigley has been in the business longer. Any thoughts or opinions?
Both are part time, but accomplish 4wd with different parts and differnent methodologies. Quigley (and Salem Kroger and Quadvan) use more factory Ford parts than SMB, and some people prefer that, and some people prefer the non-factory Ford parts that SMB uses. I don't think one can say one is inherently better than another, they're just different, and much depends on what you'd use a conversion van for and how much you're willing to invest in a 4wd system.

FWIW, when I was going to have a conversion done (before I found a used van that I couldn't pass up), I was leaning towards having Quadvan do the 4wd system, and SMB doing the camper conversion. A number of people here have used Salem Kroger, and most have an SMB 4wd system. My advice, talk to all of them, narrow down your choices, and go visit the factories of you two leading candidates before making any decisions.

Herb

Old 12-05-2007, 09:54 PM   #12
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC
What's the difference between the Quigley and the SMB 4X4? One superior to the other in terms of parts, construction, etc.? SMB 4X4 is full time, while Quigley is part time, correct? I understand that Quigley has been in the business longer. Any thoughts or opinions?
Rob:

You are correct that Quigley has been doing conversions I believe since the 70's. Like I said in a prior post, they are the only company that can do the conversion to 4X4 for Ford & GM & the factory covers the warranty. That is why I ask about SMB, etc who covers their warranty?

On a visit to Quigley, I was wondering why the diesel conversion cost was greater & ask. Quigley has to lift the body about 1/2" for the 4wd. That really surprised me that they went to that much trouble to make it work. Quigley receives bodies from Ford & GM so they can spec out the van to make sure that they get their conversions correct. It was much more complex than I thought. A lot of R&D goes into all of this. Guess that is why SMB hesitates to start on the Sprinter 4x4. There's a lot of cost involved into making it right. That's my thought on it.

As for the Ford being better built than the Chevy, the jury is still out on that one. One nice thing about the Chevy in my opinion (yes I know about opinions) is that they have a full frame under the entire body where Ford just extends the body for their EB. Since Ford does that for their EB's, they have extra room in the back for generators or whatever. That's a nice feature as well.

What does the Sprinter have under it for a frame?

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:58 PM   #13

Back when my van was being built and Ford put the factory line on hold because of the problems with the diesel engine provider, I did some serious looking at going with a Chevy. I like the looks of the Chevy a lot more, I like the Duramax a lot more, and I like the fact that the rear axle is placed 'more appropriately' near the rear of the vehicle of the extended body.

I can certainly attest to the fact that the ford definitely has thicker, dual layer sheet metal on the body, where as the chevy really sounds hollow in comparison. This is a big factor if you plan on cold camping, I think.

Also, the frame isn't as strong (got this input from a lot of different people) which might be ok for a moderate 4x4 like the quigley ifs setup, but not so much so for the type of 4x4 I need.

I do believe that SMB has a preference with the Ford, and they have a ready relationship with a ford dealer. I believe at one point I was told that they do not have a similar relationship with a chevy dealer.

This was all during the time when we didn't know if my van was going to be completed by Ford or not, and SMB was evaluating their options.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buji
Also, the frame isn't as strong (got this input from a lot of different people) which might be ok for a moderate 4x4 like the quigley ifs setup, but not so much so for the type of 4x4 I need.
So SMB is a stronger, heavier duty 4x4 than the quigley?
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:52 AM   #15

Quote:
One nice thing about the Chevy in my opinion (yes I know about opinions) is that they have a full frame under the entire body where Ford just extends the body for their EB.

What makes you think Ford only extends the body? My EB350 has a full frame all the way to the back of the van.

Quote:
So SMB is a stronger, heavier duty 4x4 than the quigley?
The Quigley 4x4 uses mostly Ford factory parts - similar to Salem-Kroger, Quadvan and others and are oriented towards snow and off-road use. SMB uses aftermarket parts and is more oriented towards hard core 4x4 and rockcrawling use. Which is better may depend on how you use yours and how you feel about after sales service. Most dealers will work on a Quigley or S-K system, and most won't want to look at aftermarket parts on an SMB. Where do you live and who will maintain your 4x4 system when it becomes a 3x4 or 2x4????

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:53 AM   #16

Rob,
SMB stronger than Quigley? That is only an opinion held by some. In my research I'd have to side with Herb. If you talk to SMB, Quigley,Quadvan,and Salem Kroger you will begin to get a "feel" for each companies' approach to conversion. Then you can factor in what you want for your needs. Check out Quadvan if you haven't already. They are in Portland and do a very nice conversion on Fords using 100% Ford parts, similar to Salem Kroger I believe. After 2 years of looking, reading and talking I can say I've changed my mind several times. If I buy a Ford I will take it to Quadvan for 4wd conversion and then to SMB for the rest. If I buy a GMC Duramax, it will be Quigley. If you go with a new van the final cost will pencil out about the same regardless.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:39 AM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to stanton
So I might get flamed a little bit for saying this -- but after attending a couple of Rallies and talking with other SMB owners over the past 5 years. It really seems like the Quigley conversion is more "dependable" than the SMB conversion.

I mean this in terms of longevity; time tested design; and how often you DON"T have to have it in the shop getting something fixed, replaced or adjusted.

I don't have a scientific study for this opinion. Its just from casual observation. Perhaps I am biased as a Quigley owner and that may skew my opinion. If you really like the Chevy -- go for it.

P.S. The SMB conversion is awesome. I'm not trying to criticize it. I'm just making a statement about the dependability of the Quigley.
stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #18

Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents. The wife and I just recently went to Quigley and drove several vans. I was leaning toward the Chevy IFS before driving them, but am now thinking the Ford solid axle might be the better choice. One thing that really impressed me was the braking ability of the Ford. Quigley uses the 14" rotors from the super duty truck axle and that forces them to install 17"rims to clear the rotors. When you do a panic stop at 70 mph, it really slows down fast.

As far as driving the IFS versus the solid axle ford, they both seemed fine on the highway and quite similar crossing minor bumps, etc. I don't expect to go seriously off road either, so both of these solutions would be fine for me. I agree about the Duramax diesel, it is much quieter and from what I have read, may be more fuel efficient. I have a Jeep Liberty with a diesel, but with higher diesel ($0.70) prices and sometimes having trouble finding diesel fuel, I was thinking about the V-10 if I go with the Ford. My old Chevy van has almost 300k miles on it, so longevity can't be much better on the diesel.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:21 PM   #19
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Quote:
One nice thing about the Chevy in my opinion (yes I know about opinions) is that they have a full frame under the entire body where Ford just extends the body for their EB.

What makes you think Ford only extends the body? My EB350 has a full frame all the way to the back of the van.

[quote:g3lm4zoi]So SMB is a stronger, heavier duty 4x4 than the quigley?
The Quigley 4x4 uses mostly Ford factory parts - similar to Salem-Kroger, Quadvan and others and are oriented towards snow and off-road use. SMB uses aftermarket parts and is more oriented towards hard core 4x4 and rockcrawling use. Which is better may depend on how you use yours and how you feel about after sales service. Most dealers will work on a Quigley or S-K system, and most won't want to look at aftermarket parts on an SMB. Where do you live and who will maintain your 4x4 system when it becomes a 3x4 or 2x4????

Mike[/quote:g3lm4zoi]

Ok, what I meant by full frame is if you look at the Chevy verses the Ford on the RB & EB, the Chevy has 2 different wheelbases giving it a longer frame for the EB wheelbase. The Ford van has the same wheelbase for both RB & EB.

As far as who's conversion is better, if one was better than the other, we wouldn't have as many choices. All comes down to personal preference & location.

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_382
I was leaning toward the Chevy IFS before driving them, but am now thinking the Ford solid axle might be the better choice.
Steve, did you drive the solid axle Chevy?