Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #11

Re: Cold Air Intake

Thanks guys, it was a lot of work but it turned out just as good as I imagined it could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Agree that it's a work of art.

Where are you headed to in Utah? We're currently in the mid-state region, and not only has it been hot, the winds have been relentless. We're headed further south on Sunday, and then Bryce Canyon on Tuesday.

Herb
We are heading to the Zion area. Some climbing, canyoneering and mt biking. If your coming through Springdale/Zion, let me know maybe we can meet-up. Let me know.

Carringb, The ID is the same as stock so I'm hoping the sensor is not effected.

JoeH, I've hear the same thing about the F series stock air filter, it is a very good system but the van has a completely different unit. Most people that I've talked to that have done something similar have noticed positive affects. I'll report anything that I notice.

Cheers,
John

jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:08 AM   #12

Whow, very nice work. I am shure a lot of hours have been consumed into this
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:36 AM   #13

Cold Air Intake

Ill take it!
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #14

Wanted to give an update on how my airbox is working out. As I had mentioned we drove out through the dessert after the initial install, it ended up being just under 1,200 mile. Air temps were mostly around 98 and as high as 102. I did notice a drop in the exhaust temps, at least 50 degrees. Along with my exhaust system, my exhaust temps were between 700 and 800 degrees. And when climbing some of the hills on the 15 freeway it would go up to around 1000 degrees. I was going between 70 and 75 mph.
The intake air temperature was the same as the outside temps and I was very happy to see that. We did some off road trails and the temps were the same as the outside air at those speeds also. However, as soon as I would come to a stop or driving very slowly, the intake air temps would start to climb. I did expect this to happen because my air box is made of aluminum and is very close to the coolant bottle.
I'm not sure if this is a bad thing or at all abnormal. At a red light, waiting for 1 to 2 minutes, the temperature would get up to 120 or higher. The highest I saw was 144. But once I start moving again the temps would drop as fast as they went up. I never checked my intake air temps with the stock air box, so maybe it has always done that.

To minimise this heat transfer through the thin aluminum wall, I lined the outside of the box with a heat shield.

Here are some before and after pics.

I'll let you know if it helped. I hope to be going to the Colorado River this weekend, so I will be pulling my boat through the dessert. That should be a good test.

Cheers,
John
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:03 AM   #15

Thanks for the update! I can't remember but I believe you previously modified your exhaust to a 4" turbo back? That should have helped with flow and exhaust temps but perhaps not if you kept the catalytic converter.

Anyhow, 800 to 1000 degrees doesn't seem too high to me.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #16

Man that's pretty!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote