Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2018, 06:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Interesting. BTW, did you remember to remove the straw?

Herb

"And this my friends, is why we must act now to ban plastic straws!"

Old 12-04-2018, 08:48 AM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
"And this my friends, is why we must act now to ban plastic straws!"

Yeah okay BUT what do we nervously chew on then?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #13

I dropped my straw in just like that, 2 weeks ago!! Luckily, my reservoir cover popped right off, and it only slowed me down about 20 minutes. #LuckyDucky
FDM2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
So, now that that's over, how do you feel about changing the oil the HPOP?

The job sucks. Unlike the 7.3 truck pictures I stole and posted, the 7.3 van has the plug obscured by no fewer than 4 hoses (air intake, radiator, heater, and a small return line), strategically placed in front of, beside, and on top of the pipe plug, that you must shove out of the way, while fiddling with the pipe plug on the reservoir top, you almost do it by braille. You don't want to drop that SOB, either!

Bill Hewitt says there's 3qts in the HPOP system alone, 1qt in the reservoir, and 1qt in each head. He says Ford says nothing about it, but he's found changing the HPOP on a regular basis prevents premature injector failures, the most expensive work you'll ever do on a 7.3, Bill says. It's woth repeating that the oil that I took out of the HPOP system was nasty! I change my oil every 5-6k miles, so if there was a free exchange between the two systems, I wouldn't expect the high pressure oil pump system's oil to look so nasty.

I ran it last weekend, circulating the oil for 20 miles, and didn’t do a second or third oil change like Bill recommends, I just didn’t have it in me.

Friday night, after the memory of last week's drama faded, I changed the HPOP oil again, it was still filthy dirty, even though the engine oil was still clean on the dipstick.

The sharing of oil between the two systems must be very slow. I ran the engine for 20minutes, then changed the HPOP oil a third time. Adding 3oz of Rev-X ‘anti-stiction’ oil additive during the final reservoir refill.

Results? I started it when it was about 40deg F outside, and I'll tell you what, it's quieter almost right away, less stiky unburned fuel out the tailpipe. It also feels like it's got a little more power.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #15

Garage
Great update - I find it very interesting that the oil doesnt circulate enough to keep it "renewed" through the prescribed oil changes...cant be good for the engine. Certainly not going to attempt to do the change myself, but will be asking Ford what they would charge to perform the task.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Great update - I find it very interesting that the oil doesnt circulate enough to keep it "renewed" through the prescribed oil changes...cant be good for the engine. Certainly not going to attempt to do the change myself, but will be asking Ford what they would charge to perform the task.
That is interesting, but disappointing in that I now have yet another maintenance action that I have to remember to perform.

I'll take a look tonight, but I'm pretty sure I'll have it much easier changing the HPOP reservoir oil on my Ex than a van. Straw notwithstanding.

Herb
Old 12-11-2018, 06:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post

There's 4 part video series on the topic

POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners

I searched around a little, several guys on some of the powerstroke forums, often trolled by Ford technicians, wannabe know-it-alls and the like, that claim it's 'not necessary', or even 'total bull$it'.

Don't be surprised if your dealer's service writer agrees with that... "We don't have a procedure, so it's not necessary. But I can change your blinker fluid and grease your muffler bearings for you!"

My recent experience with a big Chevy dealer has been that some techs, most service writers, are so wrapped up in what they are taught through their brand specific training, that they forget to think for themselves. I've become real soured on the dealer's service writers, who act as though they've been through snakeoil salesman's school, where they focus on "how to extract every last penny from a customer while staying within factory guidelines, and without leaving us open to a lawsuit". Day 5 is centered on "customer satisfaction: How to deny responsibly, with a smile on your face". This this isn't the entire lot, just a couple of the ones I encountered a couple weeks ago, at Concord Chevrolet. I digress.

What took me a while to realize is automotive manufactures service recommendations are centered around 3 things. 1) selling vehicles. 2) getting through the warranty period. 3) getting you back into the showroom to buy another after 175k miles, preferably sooner. "I'm sorry, your vehicle is just worn out". Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but man I am so sick of seeing friends and family 'ridden like a rented mule' by the dealer. Sorry for digressing, again.

Watch Bill's series, 'the oil we just sucked out of this customers truck is like glue!'

It was consistent with what I found in my HPOP reservoir, blacker-than-black, stinky, nasty, and thick worn out oil. Nothing like the engine oil I drained from the pan, and I change my oil every 5-7 miles, or twice/year which ever comes first w/T4 or more recently T5 Shell Rotella and a good quality filter (Motorcraft, Wix, Fram Extra Guard).
Old 12-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #18

Garage
TOMsBEAST - Thanks for the link.
Planned on stopping by the Dealer in the morning, figured I would gets some push-back but curious if they'll entertain the project if I insist. I'm sure the price will reflect their reluctance, but I'll hold off commentary until they've had a chance to address my request.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
Don't be surprised if your dealer's service writer agrees with that... "We don't have a procedure, so it's not necessary.
Given what those service programs are designed to provide, that statement might be plenty accurate. It's not like these engines have much history of failing prematurely.

I'm not trying to suggest that you aren't better off with clean oil in there, but consider what a ford service center would likely have to charge, and then the incremental benefit.

Edit: I just skimmed around in the videos, and it sounds like the injectors do sometimes wear out.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:40 AM   #20

Most interesting article there....I had thought about doing my own oil change on my 2008 QUIGLY Ford E 350...not after reading this...will get someone with all the right tools to - JUST DO IT. (Hey Nike' use to say just that....)

Best Regards,
OWAA Outdoor Writer
JOE GUIDE
Quigley-76 is offline   Reply With Quote