Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #11

Re: conflicting answers about doing a tranny flush.

The recommended Mercon-V fluid is already synthetic, and that is the main difference between regular Mercon/Dex-3. That is all I have ever run in my van (just plain parts store stuff, NAPA or CarQuest) and seems to work out fine for me. Coming up on 350,000 miles and I've gone as long as 100,000 miles between services. Last time the pan was dropped and the filter was changed was almost 200,000 miles ago. I'm kind of afraid to see whats in there now

Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #12

Here's a link to a flush using the internal pump method CarringB speaks of, with the option of dropping the pan or not. I'm about to do the first change on mine at about 140k.
The guy who wrote this article is a retired Ford transmission engineer, and he knows his stuff. I've gotten lots of good advice from him on the FTE forums.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/ ... ssion.html

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #13

My service book is with the van in storage but if I remember correctly: Had my 2000 Chev Express flushed at 100k per service manual a couple of years back. Replaced the OEM Dexrone III with the improved dexrone IV that came out in 2006ish. If nothing else you get the latest ATF on the market.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #14

Garage

well i suppose even if its never been done it hasnt been toooo long if your going 200k inbetween services, lol. thanks for the link & info gents, I appreciate it

i just sold my ladder rack to a guy here that has around 10 powerstroke vehicles. 6 vans for his business and handfull of pickups (all 7.3's) between him and his family that he keeps in running order. got to chatting with him (he was very intrigued with the quigley setup on my van, lol) and he told me he figured out how to rebuild the tranny a while back and that none of the ones hes rebuilt have gone bad on him again. even the first one he did that he sold to a friend is still holding together and the gent he sold it too is power hungry. apparently hes always swapping turbos etc trying to milk mo powa. when he sold the truck to the guy it was a 550-600hp 7.3.

i asked when the time came that my tranny needed some love how much it would set me back and he told me with upgraded parts id be looking at about 1500 bucks. seems pretty good considering my buddy just paid 2500 to have his done with a stock rebuild. this guy uses his rigs too. the vans have steam cleaning setup in them that weight just shy of 2k and thier trucks are on the road pretty much weekly pulling 4 place enclosed sled trailers all around the area chasing snow. hoping i dont need his services anytime soon, but it was kinda nice finding out he can help me when the time comes.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #15

If the fluid didn't smell burnt before your trip, you may want to beef up your transmission cooler. These vans seem to generally need that. There are plenty of threads on that subject here.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #16

Garage

^^^ that upgrade is definitely in the overall gameplan....along with a billion other things, lol.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 03-08-2013, 05:57 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
^^^ that upgrade is definitely in the overall gameplan....along with a billion other things, lol.
Do some searching on replacing the 7.3L trans cooler with the 6.0L trans cooler. Easily available (new or as a take off by a 6.0L owner as they upgrade), factory Ford, and fits easily in the same location. IIRC, the 6.0L trans cooler has 30-50% better cooling capacity than the 7.3L cooler.

Herb
Old 03-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #18

Garage

dang, thats a significant improvement. appreciate the heads up!

is there a "go to" cooler that the 6.0 guys go with? if it makes sense, it might be worth bypassing the 6.0 setup as i do plan on towing a racecar at some point. thats a ways off, but id rather only mess with/spend money on it once.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #19
Site Team

I was having a bunch of work done on my Excursion when I first got it, so I didn't do the trans cooler swap myself, but I did come across this VERY thorough write-up of how to do it if you're interested.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... YzhiYTliZQ

Herb
Old 03-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #20

Garage

great writeup! thank you for the link! will have to keep my eye open at the salvage yards...