Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #1

coolant leak maybe?

Looked through all the threads and didnt see anything. Has anyone had coolant drip comeing from somewhere below the heater core( i think ) cannot pin point the location as it is burried. At first I thought it was condensation from the ac unit , but it seems to happen when I use the heater or ac. Its not rally significant now but maybe 1/4 cup after I stop. Havent noticied a drop in the coolant level yet.

dreammobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:08 PM   #2

Re: coolant leak maybe?

It should be easy to tell the difference. Anti-freeze will feel slippery/greasy to the touch & have a smell to it. Condensation is just water & should not smell (except maybe a little musty) & should not feel slippery or greasy.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:12 AM   #3
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammobile
Looked through all the threads and didnt see anything. Has anyone had coolant drip comeing from somewhere below the heater core( i think ) cannot pin point the location as it is burried. At first I thought it was condensation from the ac unit , but it seems to happen when I use the heater or ac. Its not rally significant now but maybe 1/4 cup after I stop. Havent noticied a drop in the coolant level yet.
Did you measure your coolant level from the overflow container?
I had two similar leaks
One turned out to be that extra long tube that winds down and up to the coolant overflow container, replaced and the leak disappeared. My leak ran down on the drivers side to one of the Quigley arms and dripped from there..

The other was not greenish but was an small oil leak caused by a cheap oil filter that leaked, and also ended up micro dripping from the driver side Quigley arms..
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #4

What engine, year etc.?
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #5

Thanks for all the feedback. Its a 6.0 2005 quigley. Just got it, runnin great. I think its not coolant water as its oderless and tasteless (ya I tasted it) but if anyone thinks different let me know. thanks
Old 06-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #6

I recall hearing that using the heater engages the consendor too.......
R
Old 06-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #7

I have new purchased (used) 2006 6.0 PSD and have noticed a "leak" after driving on the passenger side, it is odorless and appears to be water? I am assuming its from the condenser, but would be curious if you found out anything else.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle
I have new purchased (used) 2006 6.0 PSD and have noticed a "leak" after driving on the passenger side, it is odorless and appears to be water? I am assuming its from the condenser, but would be curious if you found out anything else.
If it's clear and not colored, it's probably just condensation from the A/C. Drive a controlled distance (I.E. to the store or something) with the A/C off and then check. Drive home with the A/C on and then check again.

My early SMB (88 7.3 IDI Diesel) gets very little condensation going with A/C on, where as my daily driver 90 Nissan Pickup (with dealer installed aftermarket air) will tend to leave an almost football sized condensation puddle even after a shortish 5 mile trip with the A/C maxed.

My SMB on a cold start however, will weep out a small amount of coolant (not enough to make it to the ground usually) out of misc hoses until it warms enough to open the thermostat. Tightening said hoses has diminished it but it is still there. When it is warm, the leaks go away completely.
Icebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #9

Rad, thanks everyone I think EMrider nailed it, as it happens with either the a/c or heater on 1/2 to 3/4 hot thanks again