Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #61
Site Team

Garage
Re: Cooling the 6.0 with an Aluminess Bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwteleman
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
lovers in the hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwteleman
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
lovers in the hood
I agree. Around here we have more fighters in the hood. Lovers avoid the hood.

Mike

He says they really are bigger than they look... except in cold water. Shrinkage you know.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #62

Today I towed 9000lbs from Moab to Ouray CO, that's a vertical gain on 3000 feet. Temps when I left Moab where in the high 80's.

With the new tune I own a different vehicle!!!

Previously with my 80hp DP tune I could barely tow without stressing myself over heat issues. Light throttle and no AC could keep FWT under 220 barely! EOT would hit 230+ on climbs.

Now with my 65hp 5 Star Tune from Mike my temps are down a solid 20+ degrees! I'm pulling harder and I'm running the AC at will. I can not stress enough what a difference the new tune has made.

I don't know all the available variables that can be changed but my fan is energizing earlier and my delta's are 3-5 degrees closer. Not possible? They are!

Never today did I see FWT over 205! That is with AC on towing grades with my EGT's around 1000 to 1050.

I'm going to call Mike and ask him a few questions about my tune but I can tell you if you own a heavy van (who doesn't) and are dealing with heat the new tune totally worked for me!

I don't have hard data yet on fuel mileage but based on the scan gauge my fuel mileage is no worse with the fan running at a lower temp.

More soon...

Jim

2006 Ujoint 6" 35" tires 456 gears
E350 6.0 PSD EB

Trailer is a 2013 Wind River 240RKSW
capnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnjim
Today I towed 9000lbs from Moab to Ouray CO, that's a vertical gain on 3000 feet. Temps when I left Moab where in the high 80's.

With the new tune I own a different vehicle!!!

Previously with my 80hp DP tune I could barely tow without stressing myself over heat issues. Light throttle and no AC could keep FWT under 220 barely! EOT would hit 230+ on climbs.

Now with my 65hp 5 Star Tune from Mike my temps are down a solid 20+ degrees! I'm pulling harder and I'm running the AC at will. I can not stress enough what a difference the new tune has made.

I don't know all the available variables that can be changed but my fan is energizing earlier and my delta's are 3-5 degrees closer. Not possible? They are!

Never today did I see FWT over 205! That is with AC on towing grades with my EGT's around 1000 to 1050.

I'm going to call Mike and ask him a few questions about my tune but I can tell you if you own a heavy van (who doesn't) and are dealing with heat the new tune totally worked for me!

I don't have hard data yet on fuel mileage but based on the scan gauge my fuel mileage is no worse with the fan running at a lower temp.

More soon...

Jim

2006 Ujoint 6" 35" tires 456 gears
E350 6.0 PSD EB

Trailer is a 2013 Wind River 240RKSW
I find your results surprising. Not that I don't believe you (or your scanguage is acting up) but an 80hp tune likely advances the timing and changes the fueling tables in the PCM. That should result in more heat not the other way around. I didn't know you could tune for when the cooling fan came on and it was strictly temperature triggered. Anyhow, a custom tune should also modify the transmission shift points so maybe with firmer, crisper shifts and lockup it's resulting in better towing performance.

I have a 65 rwhp tune and my impression is that the only reason my rig runs cooler is because I killed the Kitty and installed a high flow muffler. I rarely hit EGTs similar to what you're getting but my EOT is still gets up to 230 on long grades. Interesting.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH

I find your results surprising. Not that I don't believe you (or your scanguage is acting up) but an 80hp tune likely advances the timing and changes the fueling tables in the PCM. That should result in more heat not the other way around. I didn't know you could tune for when the cooling fan came on and it was strictly temperature triggered. Anyhow, a custom tune should also modify the transmission shift points so maybe with firmer, crisper shifts and lockup it's resulting in better towing performance.

I have a 65 rwhp tune and my impression is that the only reason my rig runs cooler is because I killed the Kitty and installed a high flow muffler. I rarely hit EGTs similar to what you're getting but my EOT is still gets up to 230 on long grades. Interesting.
Didn't he state the 65HP tune lowered temps compared to the 80HP tune?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH

Didn't he state the 65HP tune lowered temps compared to the 80HP tune?

Mike
Ahh soo, I missed that part. Either way, the change is quite dramatic. I sure like the tune on mine
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #66

I still haven't called Mike. I've been too busy having fun. That said I believe the fan is the secret to keeping these vans cool!

It's start and run parameters can be changed.

Temps, throttle position etc control the fan start.

My van is almost running too cool now. Seriously. The fan starts full boar at 195 and turns off at 190 unless I'm climbing and pushing the throttle then it seems to stay on longer turning off around 180 or so.

As I said in my original post all my temps are down a solid 20+ degrees.

The downside, the fan runs a lot!

For now I'm going to leave the tune like it is. I will call Mike and find out what he did. When I do I will post what I learn.

It's funny, when CarringB said the fan pulls 10,000cfm a light went on for me. Forget what's infront of the rad like a bumper, when the fan is running it vacuuming the air through anyway. It seemed simple. Get the fan to run and my surface area cooling problems would be solved.

For now all seems perfect.

Jim
Old 09-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #67

I called Mike and got a friendly but cryptic answer. He said there are a ton of things that can be changed and lots that he did. His own secret recipe I guess.

Fan engagement was changed and many fueling parameters.

The end result as I've stated is a van that runs more than 20 degrees cooler in all conditions!!!

I have pulled all the high passes in Colorado, all on 70, 50 and 160.

I'm pulling 9000 pounds and never am I seeing EOT over 210 or so.

I pulling with the AC on now, no problems.

Yes the fan is running full boar a lot. Yes it is a bit noisy. But who cares it was the heat that stressed my out.

Oh, last my delta is now 4-9 degrees apart instead of 5-13 when towing.

Jim

2006 6.0 PSD EB
6" ujoint 35's 456 gears
9000 lb travel trailer in tow.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #68

Garage

I was able to retrofit the air deflector from my stock bumper. Just had to drill a few holes in the bottom of the winch box. Location and fit is exactly the same as the stock bumper setup. I'm sure it will help push more air on the bottom radiator. Part number 19E667B. Categorized under 2006 Ford E-350 > 6.0 > 5R110 Transmission > Cooling > Radiators, Coolers and Related Components.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #69
Site Team

Garage

Nice fit and great idea. I think I'm gonna finally install the Louvers I bought way back. That scoop would even help more.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:50 PM   #70

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
I was able to retrofit the air deflector from my stock bumper. Just had to drill a few holes in the bottom of the winch box. Location and fit is exactly the same as the stock bumper setup. I'm sure it will help push more air on the bottom radiator. Part number 19E667B. Categorized under 2006 Ford E-350 > 6.0 > 5R110 Transmission > Cooling > Radiators, Coolers and Related Components.

Tapaitio or davef, where can I get one of these Air Scoops/Dams, and how much?
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote